The Source Audio Ventris Reverb: it's in the wild... and it's AWESOME!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by LordByron, Oct 20, 2016.

1. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

Still keeps the LED there. Firmware is updated. I have figured out if I switch an engine to plate, it seems to "default" large plate, above settings every single time. But why the LED on this particular one is not responding, I don't know.

It is doing the same thing when I pull up on the desktop editor other user presets I have downloaded from the library to check out. Everything stays on "room" on the LED dial, even if it is something like true spring or e-dome on the pedal face and not one of the back engines. Any thoughts @rsmith601 or @theluckyjackson ?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  2. Flip362

Flip362 Member

So, a hilarious thing happened this morning after our second worship service this morning. Couple of kids from the high school worship team came up to me and were asking me what my BigSky cloud preset was because it sounded awesome in the context of the 2nd song we played. I laughed and said sure... let’s go take a look at my cloud preset...

I take the kids to look at my board and they looked at it for a minute and gave me a blank stare. Took another minute before one of them finally asked me where my BigSky was. (Nemesis Ventris duo for the win!)

Makes me a little bit proud, but def a big thanks to the SA guys for making this wonderful pedal that cops other pedal tones while still staying true to itself. E-cloud preset is a success to the unknowing listeners of the Snapchat generation!

Edit: e-cloud not the swellcloud preset.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    cam, dickjonesify, JimGtr and 11 others like this.
  3. WiresDream

WiresDream Member

C'monnnnnn, surely you're putting us on!?

4. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

Maybe those were my kids? ;)

dickjonesify, 4b454e and WiresDream like this.
  5. Flip362

Flip362 Member

I kid you not. Possibly more hilariously, since the last time they saw me play I had the BigSky on my board and the kid came up and wanted to know what verb I was using. Told him, showed him, and a month later he went and bought one. I guess he just presumed that I hadn’t upgraded and since I had told him for the slow songs when doing ambient lines and big chords I loved the cloud setting. Maybe presumably it sounded better than the last time he heard me play ( thanks LA Lady and Ventris) he just thought that it was an improved cloud preset and wanted the new knobs and settings!

Too bad, the BigSky can’t do this though! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

6. Jeremiahp

Jeremiahp Member

Does anyone else find this annoying. The active present on the Ventris isn't highlighted in the desktop editor like it is with the Nemesis delay. When I have the desktop editor open and connected to the nemesis delay pedal the app highlights the active preset. When I do with the Ventris the desktop editor doesn't show the active present. I'm guessing it's something to do with firmware not sending back USB info to the editor to tell the editor which preset to highlight.

I also wished that my preset names would say when saving the present on the pedal. When ever I create a preset with the desktop editor I name the present. If I make changes while preforming live and save the change to the present on the pedal, it changes the name of the preset to a default value.

minor annoyance

kdm1218 and Gibs210 like this.
  7. Gibs210

Gibs210 Member

Yea the preset name being reset after making adjustments on the pedal is annoying, and seems to be present on all the one series pedals. Hopefully it’s something that will get addressed with the addition of hub support.

8. Flip362

Flip362 Member

Hub support will be amazing. I cannot wait for that. I’m tempted to take my nemesis out of my hub because if I make an adjustment to a preset on the nemesis and don’t save it on both, the changes aren’t saved and that is kind of annoying. Being able to do the hub stuff from the Neuro editor would save a bunch of cable switching while editing all them delightful toanz!

9. LionVerse

LionVerse Supporting Member

The nemesis present and the hub scene are not related. You can have 128 nemesis presets and 128 hub scenes all with 256 unique nemesis sounds.

But if you hit that limit you may have a real problem :)

Nakoa, kdm1218 and Gibs210 like this.
  10. Gibs210

Gibs210 Member

Second hub or nemesis, or both?????

11. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

There is no limit to the number of presets you can store in your Neuro user library. Infinite presets! Not bad!

Nakoa, anxiousmofo and Gibs210 like this.
  12. Flip362

Flip362 Member

What I meant, was that if I wanted to add an actual nemesis preset to the hub scene, I’d have to pull up the nemesis preset then make adjustments and hit save so that it saves to the hub. But if I wanted it to also be reflective of those changes when I plug into the desktop or phone to continue making adjustment I also need to save directly onto the nemesis as well. So it’s like double saving! It is only annoying because I want both the hub and actual saved presets to line up when I recall them using either the hub or midi. It’s obviously a very personal problem that I have made for myself...

Christian Surieux and LionVerse like this.
  13. Tri Pedal Reviews

Tri Pedal Reviews Member

Signal Chain was Synth --> Pana-Trem --> Ventris

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    Sammo, Nocd, theluckyjackson and 5 others like this.
  14. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

Would anyone who has owned both the Soleman and the Morningstar MC-6 care to comment on the relative merits of each if one is using a mix of SA and non-SA MIDI-ready pedals (and, possibly, the Hub)?

Thanks.

baseggio likes this.
  15. Gibs210

Gibs210 Member

I think your biggest question is do you need 4 programmable switches or 6?

I haven’t used the mc6 but from what I understand, the two products can work very similar to each other, the UI and number of switches is the big difference.

I don’t know about the mc6, but the soleman will let you use its macros to program multi layered midi messages and execute them with one switch (this has come in handy a few times where I’ve had songs where for instance, I’d hit the bridge and need to change channels on my amp (using a DA smart-switch), change presets on my pog2 (aftermarket midi mod), and then bypass or activate between all 5 hub connected one series boxes, and turn on my PEQ for a solo/mid boost. I do believe the mc6 has something similar but not sure.

The other bonus in favor of the soleman is the 2 midi outs. If you are running a lot of midi gear, or a lot of midi dead end pedals, that second out can save you from a midi merge box.

The mc6 has more onboard switches, and I do believe is expandable for additional switches that can be programmed over the TRS jacks, so the mc6 is a little more powerful there.

My experience with the hub has been that it likes to be first in midi chain. The one issue id experience was midi clock causing the small box one series pedals to crash (if they were clock capable and had midiclock enabled), since moving it first in line that’s gone away, but unfortunately I loose my ability to use the reflex to send midi CC for expression control, but the expression input on the soleman can gain that feature back for me in limited fashion. My biggest problem there is I’m considering to use that jack, mod my reflex so the switch under the treadle acts as an external midi switch for the soleman, in most cases a bypass for wah pedal type applications. So I either gain a fifth midi controller switch (CC messages only), and loose midi expression via soleman, or vice-versa. Haven’t 100% decided which way I’ll go on that yet. Maybe SA can make one last firmware update to reflex where the switch can be programmable :)hide hides from @rsmith601 ) or makes the expansion port on the soleman capable of connecting to an additional 2 button switch for expanded panel control, or both :D

16. mikoo69

mikoo69 Supporting Member

Is the delays on the echoverb side based a particular style of delay?

Was planning on running a Supa Puss in parallel with my Ventris for a wet/dry/wet rig...though thinking of using the echo verb set to delay only for B and the true spring for A, to save the hassle of 2 pedals and a parallel switcher.

Is the delay based on an analog style delay or just a standard digital? Thoughts on the delay compared to something like a Supa Puss?

17. Gibs210

Gibs210 Member

It’s digital based, but in default it is a fairly warm delay, the editor offers filters for the delay only that might allow you to tweak it to darken up more, there might be a distortion control in there too, haven’t used the editor in awhile.

rsmith601 likes this.
  18. theluckyjackson

theluckyjackson Member

That is a gorgeous board. Thanks for posting. We absolutely need to post this on the SA IG.

19. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

Thanks for the detailed response. Very helpful!

20. baseggio

baseggio Member

I'm interested in this too, but I can answer for the Soleman with the hub and some non-SA stuff in the mix. Generally it all works pretty well. You're basically limited to using Panel mode and macros, which are really powerful. For instance I've got a few patches that set my LA Lady and Nemsis on for a solo, and set my Mobius to a wah setting but not activcated (all via PC commands) and then tells the Mobius to put the wah pre or post of the LA LAdy via a CC command. So then I can step on the Mobius to kick in a wah for part of a solo. Lots of interesting stuff like that is possible. The two MIDI outs that were mentioned above are very nice, especially since the Soleman doesn't seem to send MIDI power that a MIDI merge device can use.

There are definitely some downsides. Expression control is limited to one channel/one CC per panel. The device itself doesn't have MIDI through, so if you're say trying to hook up Nixie to a Strymon pedal, you need to unplug a bunch of stuff, though I'd say that's more Strymon's fault for not having a USB port on their stuff. In Panel mode, you absolutely cannot reconfigure anything without a PC. And in general the organization of various elements in the Soleman editor could be better. Still, it's a huge step up from how I was doing things before.

anxiousmofo likes this.