The Source Audio Ventris Reverb: it's in the wild... and it's AWESOME!

Gibs210

cannot find a proper topic for EQ2, so I'll leave a thought here. would be great if the next incarnation would have expression pedal input, so user could tweak left and right channel differently and gradually change left → right / right → left this way. should be a nice 3d thing, I imagine. or a normal sweeping between presets. another thing is to make a sophisticated filter with it lo/high-pass style. like you choose the start/end band and then you shift with an expression pedal the whole segment left and right.
EQ2 is still very new, and the PEQ was around for 10 years before we replaced it. The current EQ has expression via the control input with our expression pedal, or using a Y cable to flip the top and ring connections with a third party pedal. Also there’s a dedicated thread to the eq2.

ambivalence

thanks for reply, appreciate! in this case it doesn't need any new incarnation. I thought it has no expression control, but if it has one then I guess everything I've described above is possible.

Last edited:

WesleyV

@ambivalence @diego.fresh
Jesse has investigated the proposed routing option. It is possible. It is on the list for a future update. Note that it also impacts, all 4 software platforms and the manual, so its not all that easy. I cant predict when that update will happen, but its on the list for sure.
Hi there, I know there's no set ETA on when we might see this, I just wanted to poke my head in and say that I'm still very interested. Cheers!

WesleyV

Hi all,
I've been using the USB connection on my Ventris and Nemesis to manage presets through the Neuro Desktop app, but I can't help but notice a bit of high frequency whining noise is injected into the pedal whenever the USB connection is plugged in.

I'm using very short cables with ferrite beads, plugged into a powered Anker USB hub, which is plugged into the same Furman power conditioner as the pedal power supply. The pedals are powered through a voodoo labs X4, which has isolated power for each pedal and plenty of current for them. I've done my utmost to eliminate any ground loops or janky power connections, but I just can't seem to get rid of the whine (except unplugging the USB connection, which does the trick). I can minimize it by messing with gain in different places, but I can't get rid of it completely.

Have any of you had any luck getting rid of the USB noise? Thanks for any suggestions!

rsmith601

Vendor
Hi all,
I've been using the USB connection on my Ventris and Nemesis to manage presets through the Neuro Desktop app, but I can't help but notice a bit of high frequency whining noise is injected into the pedal whenever the USB connection is plugged in.

I'm using very short cables with ferrite beads, plugged into a powered Anker USB hub, which is plugged into the same Furman power conditioner as the pedal power supply. The pedals are powered through a voodoo labs X4, which has isolated power for each pedal and plenty of current for them. I've done my utmost to eliminate any ground loops or janky power connections, but I just can't seem to get rid of the whine (except unplugging the USB connection, which does the trick). I can minimize it by messing with gain in different places, but I can't get rid of it completely.

Have any of you had any luck getting rid of the USB noise? Thanks for any suggestions!
This is a ground loop for sure. The ferrite beads cant stop it.

1) Use a laptop with a battery.
or
2) Use a galvanically isolated USB connection. @Gibs210 knows about these and can probably make a recommendation.

iNomis

Hi all,

Try eliminating the powered hub and use the most minimal USB devices you can use including no mouse and keyboard . If that clears it up add back one at a time.

WesleyV

This is a ground loop for sure. The ferrite beads cant stop it.

1) Use a laptop with a battery.
or
2) Use a galvanically isolated USB connection. @Gibs210 knows about these and can probably make a recommendation.
Thanks RSmith, I'll look into the USB isolators, and keep an eye out for any comments from Gibs.

iNomis, thanks for the reply. Sadly getting rid of the hub is not an option for me since all my Source Audio effects boxes are locked into a home made rack mount, far away from my PC. But your way is probably more correct than mine.

Gibs210

Thanks RSmith, I'll look into the USB isolators, and keep an eye out for any comments from Gibs.

iNomis, thanks for the reply. Sadly getting rid of the hub is not an option for me since all my Source Audio effects boxes are locked into a home made rack mount, far away from my PC. But your way is probably more correct than mine.
Pretty sure these are the ones that Jesse has always recommended. Cheap too compared to others.

WesleyV

Pretty sure these are the ones that Jesse has always recommended. Cheap too compared to others.

Thanks a million for the recommendation. I was deep down the google rabbit hole and seeing some very expensive options - glad I can get out the door for cheap!

WesleyV

Thanks again for the recommendation. The noise seems to be attenuated enough that I can only notice it at gain levels beyond any practical application, so I'll consider the operation a success.

I bought two for my Ventris and Nemesis, but eventually found I got better results by placing the isolator between my computer and the hub, rather than the hub and the pedal, meaning I only really needed 1. Your mileage may vary.

The solder joints on those isolators look like they were used as BB gun target practice from 20 paces, but for the price, I can't complain.

Flip362

I’ve been playing a lot with my Ventris again (it comes in waves as I jump from SA pedal to SA pedal) and I was wondering if sometime in the future… it would be possible to have a non-pre fx loop. You know, for whatever comes next that Roger keeps not talking about. The Ventris will put whatever FX before the reverbs, but what about putting the FX loop in between the 2 dsp?

I know the question will be, who would use that?! Probably not too many and it probably wouldn’t be worth it, but the possibility, would be awesome. I’ve been trying to emulate the Yamaha Soft Focus sound lately and it seems like it really needs the external (symphony/chorus?) modulation to go inbetween the reverberated delay and the secondary reverb I think to sound right. Anyway, always excited for what comes next. I love my Ventris.
<3 <3

Imerkat

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve been playing a lot with my Ventris again (it comes in waves as I jump from SA pedal to SA pedal) and I was wondering if sometime in the future… it would be possible to have a non-pre fx loop. You know, for whatever comes next that Roger keeps not talking about. The Ventris will put whatever FX before the reverbs, but what about putting the FX loop in between the 2 dsp?

I know the question will be, who would use that?! Probably not too many and it probably wouldn’t be worth it, but the possibility, would be awesome. I’ve been trying to emulate the Yamaha Soft Focus sound lately and it seems like it really needs the external (symphony/chorus?) modulation to go inbetween the reverberated delay and the secondary reverb I think to sound right. Anyway, always excited for what comes next. I love my Ventris.
<3 <3
You can do that now though. You can put in left and right engine on mono ouput and loop it back in from ouput 1 -> FX -> input 2. I imagine the possibilities are endless of what you can insert in between

Flip362

You can do that now though. You can put in left and right engine on mono ouput and loop it back in from ouput 1 -> FX -> input 2. I imagine the possibilities are endless of what you can insert in between
See! I get so caught up with all the fancy stuff I forget about the basics. Huh derrr. Thanks. Don’t mind me. I’m just an idiot.

Imerkat

Silver Supporting Member
See! I get so caught up with all the fancy stuff I forget about the basics. Huh derrr. Thanks. Don’t mind me. I’m just an idiot.
Nah it is just the gift the keeps on giving, I’m still finding new things with it; like I’m working on a preset that sounds like wind chimes