The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by keano, Apr 2, 2008.

1. keano

keano Member

I was listening to Black Crowes album The Southern Harmonmy and Musical Companion.

Specifically the song Sting Me and No speak No Slave. What amps would these be. his gear list his here:
    http://www.richrobinson.net/gear.php

But I am used to more hard rock tones but this is grabbing my ear especailly on Sting Me and I want to try and recreate this. I wonder if the JVM could do a cheap version of this?

2. teleking36

teleking36 Member

I think Rich is rocking an ES-335 with his Marshall Jubilee, but I could be wrong. I absolutely LOVE the tone on that opening riff!!

3. keano

keano Member

Your kidding if that is a Silver Jubille I must have one. Then again.... one of the JVM settings would have to get close no?

4. voojo

voojo Gold Supporting Member

Most people say SHAMC was tweed amps:

MID 50'S TWEED FENDER DELUXE 2X
    MID 50'S TWEED FENDER TREMOLUX 2X
    MID 50'S TWEED FENDER VIBROLUX
    MID 50'S TWEED FENDER PRO
    MID 50'S TWEED BASSMAN

5. keano

keano Member

So for the intro on Sting Me is that more Marshall, or Class A type amp or Fender?
    thx

6. Stormin

Stormin Staff Member Supporting Member

I know somewhere around Southern or Amorica he started using more Matchless gear. The "Sting Me" tone could very well be done with a Clubman or a Chieftain if you EQ'd it right. To my ears, it sounds more chime-y than a Silver to Jube. IIRC, the Jube's seem to get grittier with less glassiness at those gain levels.

Stormin!

7. lukeII

lukeII Supporting Member

I thought that tone was a tweed deluxe played through a 4x12 cab (presumably a vintage Marshall cab).

8. teleking36

teleking36 Member

Rich used Matchless stuff almost exclusively on Amorica.

Whatever he used on SHAMC, I think it's his best recorded tone to date. The Amorica stuff comes in at a close second, IMO.

9. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Rich does love using Tweed amps in the studio through 4x12 cabs. Its an addictive tone, if you've ever done it. I ran my Vicky Double Deluxe through a Marshall 4x12 with G12H30's and another with Greenbacks, and it was PHENOMENAL tone!!!

10. DEMENTED

DEMENTED Supporting Member

I too love that tone, not sure how he got it but you have to remember he likes them boo-teeky pedals too!

11. deluxeman

deluxeman Member

If I remember correctly, I was told a bunch on that disc was a vintage low power tweed twin......

12. vdoochild7

vdoochild7 Silver Supporting Member

Southern Harmony-
    Rich-Jubille and Tweeds
    Marc-50watt small box plexi and Tweeds

Amorica-Mostly Matchless
    Rich-Clubman and HC30
    Marc-Chieftan

Amorica-Matchless and Tweeds

13. Tonal Comfort

Tonal Comfort Supporting Member

According to a January 1995 Guitar Player article the studio amps for the Amorica sessions were as follows:

An assortment of 50 and 100 watt Marshalls
    Blackface Showmans
    '60s blonde Fender Tremolux
    Blackface Bassman
    '50s Fender Vibrolux
    Vox AC30s
    Matchless Clubman 35s

That's a lot of tone right there!

14. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

Rich and Marc both used tons of vintage tweed and blackface fenders in the studio. Marc has even said that he prefered them to Marshalls, but live Marshalls "looked cooler" :D. Rich also didn't start using effects and pedals until after or around Amorica as well.

15. Buzzy Fret

Buzzy Fret Member

You have a Marshall JMP listed for sale in your signature - you oughta use that! Pop out 2 of the power tubes to knock it down to 50 watts. Plug a Fender Tele Custom and flip the selector to the humbuck in the neck and that should get you there.

In the liner notes of that CD there is a pic of Rich standing in front of an old Marshall Plexi sitting on top of an old Fender Twin - like he's running it through the speakers of the Twin. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the rig.

I seem to remember reading a Guitar Player interview with Rich that showed his rig for recording By Your Side was mostly a Tweed Bassman run through a Marshall 4x12 and he was preamping with a Boss DS-1. Might've been a Keely modded one.

But you know I've seen the Crowes several times throughout their career and have a bunch of bootleg videos of shows and Rich sounds the same no matter what amp he's playing through. He has a great, great live tone. I think he runs 3 heads: one super dirty, one med dirty and one almost clean. It sounds that way to me at least.

TSHAMC is one of my all time favorite CDs.