• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

The Spirit Of Radio — Opening Riff

Can you play it accurately on tempo?

• Yes

Votes: 57 67.9%
  • Almost

Votes: 11 13.1%
  • No

Votes: 15 17.9%
  • I’d rather die than try that one..,

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters

berg11116

Just started on last week, was very tough for me. Rocksmith (video/ guitar game) really helped me get it down.

syzygy

I've seen a bunch of people incorrectly play & "teach" the opening riff.

Practice with a metronome & gradually speed up!

In E major

Oh yeah, starting with the R30 Tour, IIRC, Lerxst started doing a D to open B-string pull-off using his LH middle finger. You can see this on the R30 Tour video.

Last edited:

ZeyerGTR

I could play it when I was 14 but I don't know how to play it anymore.
Haha, I'm the opposite - I didn't know any Rush material until my late 40s. My son and I have really gotten into Rush a lot the last couple of years, and I've been learning random Rush tunes since. I literally just sat down and learned Spirit of the Radio a month or so ago.

joebloggs13

Haven't really sat down to work that out...so right now, I would say...no. ;) But I will check it out...As some here have said...it would be a good warmup routine. :)
The timing in their songs can be pretty tough to nail.

Silver Supporting Member
I've seen a bunch of people incorrectly play & "teach" the opening riff.

Practice with a metronome & gradually speed up!

In E major

Oh yeah, starting with the R30 Tour, IIRC, Lerxst started doing a D to open B-string pull-off using his LH middle finger. You can see this on the R30 Tour video.
Is the last sixteenth note of the third beat (right before the triplet) really an open B? I always had it as an open E.

Also, I thought I'd seen a Lifeson video where he was slurring the third sixteenth note of beats one and three to a D# to give it that D# as a brief passing 32nd note passing tone between the D and open E.

syzygy

Is the last sixteenth note of the third beat (right before the triplet) really an open B? I always had it as an open E.
Originally, Lifeson plays it as an open E on the record & changed it during the R30 Tour which is annotated on the pic I posted. When I first saw what he was doing I thought it was weird & asking why he was pushing up his LH middle finger, then realized he was doing a slur from D natural to B natural on the B-string.

Also, I thought I'd seen a Lifeson video where he was slurring the third sixteenth note of beats one and three to a D# to give it that D# as a brief passing 32nd note passing tone between the D and open E.
I've heard it as a D natural in various bootleg recordings from different tours.

Here's a youtuber who does great Rush covers, IMO:

If you zoom in the youtuber's LH on his The Spirit of Radio cover, he plays it as it was originally done on the Permanent Waves record.

Killcrop

Silver Supporting Member
Not only do you have to play this correctly, you have to have the right Flanger. I believe he used an Electric Mistress.

Reactions: kev

cvansickle

Gold Supporting Member
I fake it with right-hand tapping. EHV may have shown me first, but Steve Lynch's book The Right Touch opened all kinds of doors for me.

Reactions: Gms

Trending Topics