The “stated” guitar amp wattage doesn’t really seem to mean much

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve heard 15 watt amps that sounded louder than some 40 watt amps. And I do realize that speakers make some difference like how they cut through.
But the main thing I’ve learned over the years is that you can’t go by the “stated“ wattage when trying to compare amps.

And when comparing amps of the same “stated” wattage and same speakers, why is one sometimes louder than the other?

Is there not a standard that amp builders have to go by for their “stated” wattage?

Last edited:

woof*

It has everything to do with playing in a band.
In a room by itself a 15 watt amp can really sound loud.
On a stage with drums and bass you will get buried trying to play clean chords with that same amp.
But as others have already said...I like turtles.

joebloggs13

It has everything to do with playing in a band.
In a room by itself a 15 watt amp can really sound loud.
On a stage with drums and bass you will get buried trying to play clean chords with that same amp.
But as others have already said...I like turtles.
It won't get buried if you mike it...

joebloggs13

That applies to the audience.
YOU can have a hard time onstage if you can´t hear yourself after a couple cymbal crashes.
And why put your life in the hands of an often incompetent soundman when it´s easy to carry, say, a 50W amp and rely on ypur own muscle, anywhere?
You can always use IEMs...Anyways, don't shoot the messenger..only trying to offer some advice...:beer

JB6464

Silver Supporting Member
I'd rather replace two power tubes than four.
I would rather play an amp designed for 2 power tubes than one designed for 4 then neuter it down to 2 and have a mismatched output ohms setting .

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
Hey guys... I now would like to talk about the difference between two (or more) amps that are “stated” to be the SAME wattage. I changed the title of this thread to better reflect my opinion.

If they’re the same wattage (as stated) why is there many times a volume difference if they’re compared through the same speaker(s).

Do builders rate their amp wattage differently, correctly or honestly?
Is there not a standard for the “stated“ guitar amp wattage that they have to go by?

Last edited:

Trending Topics