The Stephenson Custom 20

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Transverse, May 26, 2009.

1. buford

buford Member

what have you heard about the suhr badgers? they have good reviews but seen lots for sale.

2. andy888

andy888 Member

you can hear clips in the thread i started, just search my history for the 30 watt thread
    cheers

3. coloradobenedic

coloradobenedic Member

Hey guys- just thought I'd chime in... heard from Mark a few days ago and my Green Custom 20 High Gain (w/ matching 1x12 cab) is due for completion around the end of September! Wahooooo!

Does anyone happen to know how long Mark has been building amps under his own name? It just doesn't seem like very many people know about these great designs...

4. Millo 3.1

Millo 3.1 Member

That looks way too cool. Congrats!

5. grantster

grantster Member

I have got one of Mark's 30 watters. Amazing amp. It is one of those amps that you can "feel" what your playing thru the guitar, even at low volume. I am surprised that these amps are not a hot topic on this forum.

grant

6. IcariumTheLost

IcariumTheLost Member

I'm torn between the 30watt and the custom20. I've talked to Mark and he has said his custom20 has more gain and saturation, and that's what I'm looking for.
    Ever heard of Billy Talent? The guitarist Ian uses the 30 and 40 watt heads and I love his tone. But I love the heavier bands like TOOL and I want to emulate that sound and put my own twist on it. I may need a pedal, but that's cool, I don't care.
    I'm leaning more towards the custom20 because of the effects loop too. Is anyone with the custom20 capable of getting hard rock/heavy tones without a pedal?

7. luchof26

luchof26 Member

are there any clips available yet?

8. IcariumTheLost

IcariumTheLost Member

I emailed Mark and he said I should be able to get TOOL tones out of the 30 watt. I'm so frickin' anxious to order this thing. Right now I have a Bugera 6260 and while it is good for the money I want something that sounds out of this world and from the clips I've heard this is the amp to do that.

When did you order your custom 20?

9. FourThirtyTwo

FourThirtyTwo Member

Hey, I realize that this is an older thread, but I was just super stoked to see so much love on here for Mark's amp builds. His amps are on more records than people think, and the tones available are vast.

I was also going to add that Ian from B.T. uses 60w transformers which are pretty much custom built for his amps alone. The dude plays stadiums, so he needs some serious headroom.

As much as I kind of love the fact that Mark's amps aren't a household name, I want the guy to make a really good living - as he deserves it. So buy his stuff!

Peace.

10. MCK

MCK Member

+1... He is an amazing builder and person. Real joy to work with. I too want him getting more business but he is backlogged for quite a while as it is. He is making a choice not to grow too fast it seems and thats not an altogether bad thing as long as he is happy with the cashflow.

All the best to Mark with his new site launch.

11. go7

go7 Member

Have known Mark for many many years. Moved close by a few years ago.
    The reason we don`t hear from Mark is the majority of his amps go to studio musicians.
    He has a great following in that crowd. He rarely if ever posts on any forum as they take up his time.
    Super nice guy, better amps.
    Good luck.

12. coloradobenedic

coloradobenedic Member

I too am pumped to see that this thread is still going. I love my Stephenson 20! Anybody have any interesting new tube combos?

13. MCK

MCK Member

I have a new Custom 40W coming from Mark soon. Its almost finished but delayed due to my inability to receive it. Between homes etc. Will be something out of this world. I had some pretty demanding ideas and Mark really hit the nail on each one. He is just amazing.

14. cholula69

cholula69 Silver Supporting Member

Hi guys, just caught this thread. I have a Stephenson 20 watt too, serial no. 001 to be exact :)

Mine is built with all octal preamp and the cleans are stunning. I have been running it with 5881 and some NOS 6SN7 that Mark sent along with it. Typically I run either the 5881 or the EL84 as a single ended amp. A lot of great tone to be mined out of this one. I am taking it to Japan and have a big show planned in the fall. I'll be sure to let you know how it performs.

15. MCK

MCK Member

Wow! #001. Hats off. Funny thing you're taking yours to Japan and I lived with mine in Japan for a few years and now taking mine back to Canada to a place very near where it was built! Enjoy Japan while there. Remember its 100V there.

16. cholula69

Yes, I exchanged a few emails with Mark about the power. I am going with a transformer to convert the voltages.

Where in Japan were you?

17. MCK

MCK Member

Tokyo. Where in Japan are you visiting? PM me if you have any questions.

18. FourThirtyTwo

FourThirtyTwo Member

I, too, am interested to hear tube combo reviews from other Stephenson owners. Sooo many options..

19. cholula69

I am not sure how many units Mark built with an all octal preamp that's what I have. I have been using 6SL7 in the preamp and effects loop. In the power section I have a pair of 5881, and I like the grind.

20. FourThirtyTwo

FourThirtyTwo Member

Can you get some dirt in your cleans if you crank it?