The Stones of Mr. Jones

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by BlackT-Shirt, Mar 3, 2015.

1. BlackT-Shirt

BlackT-Shirt Member

School me on the essential and/or iconic work of Brian Jones, and please limit it to his guitar work. Thanks!

2. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

3. Rex Anderson

Rex Anderson Member

4. cameron

cameron Member

Well, the essential and iconic work by Brian Jones would be all of the Rolling Stones recordings until summer '68. If you want to limit it to just his guitar work, you can just ignore any songs that prominently feature a harmonica, as that's most probably Jones (though Jagger can blow a mean harp too . . . )

5. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

One reason this was not released at the time.

Jones was pretty loaded and on the sleepy drugs by this point. These groups had played for years with screaming so loud they could not hear - ever heard those Beatle boots from Japan when the audience was politely quiet? Ouch!

Of course the survivors of the sixties got better.

The records sound good tho'.

6. Lotis

Lotis Silver Supporting Member

I think he was one of the first electric slide players if not the first in the UK. Hung with the Stones for a few shows and was on stage security in '65 when Satisfaction was #1. They were way cool and thrilled to be in the US. Particularly Brian was very outgoing. Still got an autographed picture of the whole band. What a sad end for him. I love the early Stones!

7. option1

option1 Member

Jones' sitar on Paint it Black is, IMHO, what makes that song so iconic. I suspect he was responsible for most of the guitar sound on that song as well, or certainly influenced it:

Neil

8. e???

e??? Member

Most of the early good guitar work was Brian. "Heart of Stone", "time is on my side". Ruby Tuesday is pretty much all Brian, he even wrote some lyrics and mostly all the music for it. On "Aftermath" and "Between the Buttons" all the weird instruments are Brian. Like the sitar on paint it black or marimbas or vibes or whatever on "Under my Thumb". Then the hated "Satanic Majesties Request" (never understood why people hated this album so much, people said it was a beatles rip-off because it was all trippy, but everyone was trippy then, and the Stones did it way different), this whole album is Brian Jones on a lot of drugs. Mick and Keith were too busy fighting drug busts, and being stars, and stealing Brians girlfriend. Keith has said many times that he doesn't remember doing "Satanic Majesties", but he remembers the photo shoot. That's because it's all Brian, with a song by Bill Wyman thrown in. Mick wrote lyrics for it and sang it, but he and Brian didn't get along at all at that point, so you can imagine that recording situation. Musically it's really beautiful, and it on makes me wonder what else he would have done. When he got kicked out a few weeks before he died, he made plans to tour and start a band with Hendrix. They were friends, it probably would have been awesome. Standout tracks on the "satanic" album are "sing this all together", "2000 light years from home", "she's a rainbow" and a few awesome instrumentals...

9. fishleehooker

fishleehooker Supporting Member

Under My Thumb is Brian and is one of my favorites. Love the very understated lead. Phil Spector is on bass too.

And though it isn't guitar, the mellotron on 2000 Light Years from home is, and could only be, Brian Jones.

10. fishleehooker

fishleehooker Supporting Member

Brian was all the good parts. LOL He often gets the credit for the rest of the lovable debacle Her Satanic Majestie's request (Original better title), but the cover and the whole idea of chasing the Beatles was pretty much obviously Mick, Keith, and possibly Anita Pallenberg and Mariane Faithful as well. Had Mick and Keith, funnily enough, pulled their' weight on that album it could have been much better. I still love it though, and really love Between the Buttons and Flowers, both from the same acid era for them. From what I understand about Brian though, he had a love hate thing for the Psychedelic scene. His favorite band when he died was CCR, so I believe he had as much to do with the change back to acoustics as anyone; he just hated the band he started, and we all kind of know the rest.

11. tele1951

tele1951 Silver Supporting Member

^^^ I thought I read in Keef's book that he came up with the "Last Time" riff??

Guess I need to re-read.....

12. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

Love the Brian Jones era when the Rolling Stones were seen
    as just another " pop " group. They were at their most inventive
    during this time.

13. geddyentwistle

geddyentwistle Member

It's the best of the stones

She's a rainbow, 2000 light yrs from home, paint it black

14. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

I don't think so. Keef came up with the "Satisfaction" riff (as well as a bunch of others), but not that one. Brian was a big contributor to the early Stones sound, but by 1968, he was so far gone that even "normal" hardcore drug addicts didn't want to deal with him and he'd been on a downward spiral since '66...

15. gmann

gmann Member

I read the book but I don't remember what he said. However, if you look at any of the live video's of The Last time it's Brian playin' the riff. Whether he wrote it or not, who knows?

16. jefesq

jefesq Gold Supporting Member

read Brian Jones, the making of the rolling stones. ponderous and deifies Jones but a good read and disputes some of Keef's yeah I did that.

17. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

What, no love for "Gomper"?

18. 8raw

8raw Member

Gomper is cool

19. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

My high school friend's older musician brothers named the family dog Gomper...,