• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

The Stones recent touring help

RicOkc

Hard to say.

A luthier friend of mine knew a tech that worked for Keith years ago and his story of working for the Stones wasn't a good one.

He said that he had been on tour with them and hadn't been paid. When he brought it up to Keith he told him to ask Mick.

When he confronted Mick about the lack of a paycheck, Mick told him that working for the Stones was "A privilege" and he was lucky to get the gig.

He promptly packed-up his equipment and left the tour.

I'm sure that the other guys listed are well compensated or they wouldn't be there.

Spider-Man

Silver Supporting Member
Originals :
Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Ron Wood

Wood joint the Stones in 1975

Recent touring help:
Darryl Jones - bass
Steve Jordan - drums
Chuck Leavell - keyboards
Matt Clifford - keyboards
Tim Ries - saxophone
Karl Denson - saxophone
Sasha Allen - background singer
Bernard Fowler - background singer

Nothing recent about that.

Clifford, Leavell, Ries, and Fowler have been touring with them since '89

Jordan has played with Keith since '88

Denison and Allen are recent additions, but the positions they occupy are not recent as there have been others in those roles in the past, most notably Bobbie Keys and Lisa Fisher.

supergenius365

Silver Supporting Member
Ron Wood is now a full equal member of the Stones after an embarrassing number of years as a payroll employee.

I don't know what they pay everyone else. There is an interview with Jones a few years ago on WGN tv in Chicago where he said that his accountant tells him that he is definitely not rich.

supergenius365

Silver Supporting Member
I am a huge fan. I will buy any music or concert video they put out.

BUT....................
I think Keef needed some wardrobe help this last tour. Who let him wear those hats?
Mick needed some hair dye help. I know he is almost 80 years old. Nothing against him coloring his hair, but it just looked bad this time around.

Spider-Man

Silver Supporting Member
I don't know what they pay everyone else. There is an interview with Jones a few years ago on WGN tv in Chicago where he said that his accountant tells him that he is definitely not rich.

Define "rich".

A quick search and I see several sites that estimate his net worth at 8 million. Another site lists his net worth as 6 million. 6 million puts him in the richest 1% of the worlds population.

Of course if those estimates are correct it still does not tell us anything about his actual earnings with the Stones and whether he has invested wisely or foolishly squandered his earnings.

supergenius365

Silver Supporting Member
Define "rich".

A quick search and I see several sites that estimate his net worth at 8 million. Another site lists his net worth as 6 million. 6 million puts him in the richest 1% of the worlds population.

Of course if those estimates are correct it still does not tell us anything about his actual earnings with the Stones and whether he has invested wisely or foolishly squandered his earnings.

The interview was maybe 2 years ago. Maybe he was being modest or his definition of "rich" doesn't match other people's definition.

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
Chuck is the Musical Director too, if I’m not mistaken? So that might add to the paycheck! The hired hand probably know how much they’re making before the tour starts, the members divy up the money left over after the tour ends…….
I read that Chuck’s pay from the early 2000s tours was over $1M. I think Darryl’s was close to that too.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments, I have been listening to the Stones since about 1970 and yeah I know Ron Wood is not an original member of the band, what was I supposed to write, that he was a semi original member, lol.

Spider-Man

Silver Supporting Member
He’s quite poor in relation to Keef. He is quite wealthy in relation to me.

How many of the Stones classic songs did he write? That's a rhetorical question, but I really don't get where people are coming from when they question the salary of hired musicians in relation to Mick and Keith's earnings. I'm not defending Mick and Keith, reportedly they have not always treated everyone fairly. But if the salary for any of these supporting musicians is unacceptable, they can always find another gig.

They might have been a bigger band had they debuted with Beggars Banquet and then had a nasty break up after Goat Heads Soup and never played together again. :dunno

I could be wrong but they had a great thing going on with that formula. :knitting

I once started a thread on Steve Hoffman that if The Stones had broken up after Undercover, they’d have an almost unbelievable string of great albums since 1966, with only one of two lesser ones. And that their “reputation” as it were would be even bigger than it was.

I was roasted alive. Lol

BTW I had no idea Karl Denson was touring with the Stones. I’ve seen his Tiny Universe at many a festival.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom