Darryl Jones - bass
Steve Jordan - drums
Chuck Leavell - keyboards
Matt Clifford - keyboards
Tim Ries - saxophone
Karl Denson - saxophone
Sasha Allen - background singer
Bernard Fowler - background singer

1) Wonder how much these people make for their contributions?

2) Wonder how proud they are to say they played with the Stones?
Ron Wood is not an original member. And some of those hired guns have decades of big time credits. I'm sure they get paid very well.

Drowned Rabbit

Black Beauty Beats Burst
This. That’s what a lot of you wankers don’t get. It’s about writing great songs. I live in Nashville. The guy busing tables at my corner diner is a better guitar player than me. So is the guy that parks my car. They’re better than you too. Nobody gives a damn. Not fair? Welcome to real life. That’s why I focus on writing.

How many of the Stones classic songs did he write? That's a rhetorical question, but I really don't get where people are coming from when they question the salary of hired musicians in relation to Mick and Keith's earnings. I'm not defending Mick and Keith, reportedly they have not always treated everyone fairly. But if the salary for any of these supporting musicians is unacceptable, they can always find another gig.

Well Done

Whatever mate. They've only done a handful of decent records since Brian Jones left. I certainly wouldn't be wasting my time with any of the garbage they put out after It's Only Rock & Roll.

They have been a piss poor parody of themselves since 1978. How Ron Wood has managed to steal a living out of that band for so long is an absolute mystery.

Vibrolux

Gold Supporting Member
Whatever mate. They've only done a handful of decent records since Brian Jones left. I certainly wouldn't be wasting my time with any of the garbage they put out after It's Only Rock & Roll.

They have been a piss poor parody of themselves since 1978. How Ron Wood has managed to steal a living out of that band for so long is an absolute mystery.

I do get bothered by these types of criticisms of the Stones. I love the classic era of their material. But I also still enjoy releases with Ronnie. I enjoy much of Ron's pre-Stones work. Saying he stole a living is so harsh. Part of being in a band is the internal dynamic. It's not 100% about playing skills. Mick and Keith chose Ron as a partner to work with for many reasons.

The Stones have an incredible volume of work. It ranges in quality without a doubt. They know that. They certainly have the right to release whatever they choose and to evolve as they may. They have a right to do whatever the hell they want to do and they enjoy it. God Bless Them.

So Well Done (or other's that poo-poo all Stones work that doesn't include Jones or Taylor):
Please provide us your best album or batch of songs and let's hold it up against Some Girls and Tattoo You.
I'm willing to listen and be open-minded.

Sincerely...Vibrolux

musicman1

Sideman usually earn a flat wage. I’d guess most average 150k a year for a major act but most expenses are paid. Maybe more. Problem is you usually only get paid when there’s an actual tour. Alot of the country acts use the same sidemen for their live band as opposed to the hotshot studio guys they often record with and will get paid throughout the year touring or not. The extra money is in the songwriting credits, publishing and/or being paid a full artist share. Imagine how much more lucrative Chris Stapleton’s life became after he broke through as an artist but now suddenly you’ve become a real business w real expenses and employees and liabilities too.

boo radley

Seems a bit extreme. Some Girls and Tattoo You aren't garbage. Ronnie's certainly earned his place as a Stone.

My understanding from hearing Darryl Jones on some podcast or another is he, anyway, is on retainer. What that means in terms of specific $ -- who knows. I'm sure it's substantial - their tours are always top revenue generators.

If you want to be dismissive, reflect on how Ed Sheeran has the #1 grossing tour of all time! I'll join you.

Space Jazzer

Ah...........

You got 2 out of 3 correct there.
24FA6DB6-F02A-4079-A89E-1B9100F9F7A2.jpeg

BadgerEE

I imagine the longest tenure players are making around $500K for the tour - maybe a little more. The Shorter tenure players probably about $200K. The three Stones left - I imagine they make about $150K a night or so.
So, off by quite a bit for the 3 primary band members, by at least 1 order magnitude.

Toby Krebs

This. That’s what a lot of you wankers don’t get. It’s about writing great songs. I live in Nashville. The guy busing tables at my corner diner is a better guitar player than me. So is the guy that parks my car. They’re better than you too. Nobody gives a damn. Not fair? Welcome to real life. That’s why I focus on writing.

Wankers!

Thank you for that!

Well Done

I do get bothered by these types of criticisms of the Stones. I love the classic era of their material. But I also still enjoy releases with Ronnie. I enjoy much of Ron's pre-Stones work. Saying he stole a living is so harsh. Part of being in a band is the internal dynamic. It's not 100% about playing skills. Mick and Keith chose Ron as a partner to work with for many reasons.

The Stones have an incredible volume of work. It ranges in quality without a doubt. They know that. They certainly have the right to release whatever they choose and to evolve as they may. They have a right to do whatever the hell they want to do and they enjoy it. God Bless Them.

So Well Done (or other's that poo-poo all Stones work that doesn't include Jones or Taylor):
Please provide us your best album or batch of songs and let's hold it up against Some Girls and Tattoo You.
I'm willing to listen and be open-minded.

Sincerely...Vibrolux
Here you go.

sanhozay

klon free since 2009
Gold Supporting Member
I'm actually a bit skeptical the guitars are real time. not to be vicious but some of these older acts are taking live performance to an entirely different scenario

Moondog Spot

I'm actually a bit skeptical the guitars are real time. not to be vicious but some of these older acts are taking live performance to an entirely different scenario

Really? What makes you say that? Keith and Ron are solid players who've been doing it for 60 years. I don't think much of what they do is too complex and they can probably play those tunes in their sleep. I'd be really surprised and disappointed if that was the case.

sanhozay

klon free since 2009
Gold Supporting Member
Really? What makes you say that? Keith and Ron are solid players who've been doing it for 60 years. I don't think much of what they do is too complex and they can probably play those tunes in their sleep. I'd be really surprised and disappointed if that was the case.

as would i. but keef was born in the middle of ww2, or maybe ww1. or the war against france. kidding aside, I think they are pretty close to calling it two lifetimes. I love those guys and all configurations of the stones. they really got going in the 70's and have an amazing catalog.

flume

Double Platinum Member
It’s fun to flounce around fact free without any obligation to show evidence innit? Speculation on the finances of a touring band? Geez.

oh btw Voodoo Lounge was solid.

BlackT-Shirt

I wonder what Daryl and Ron get compared to the glimmer twins.
One thing I learned from Ron Woods biography is that he can burn through, and has lost more $ through bad business decisions then one can imagine. He usually needs advances on tours.

He reminds me of the great lines in Kieth's song Happy.

Well I never kept a dollar past sunset,
It always burned a hole in my pants.
Never made a school mama happy,
Never blew a second chance.

He was on salary for many years before they gave him a share of the profits.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom