the strattiest strat pickups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Derelict, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Derelict

Derelict Member

ok, so i have a G&L Tribute Legacy. Currently i have a JBjr in the bridge and dimarzio virtual2s in the mid and neck. after all these "upgrades" my guitar doesn't sound like a strat. there's no personality. in my quest for "tone" i have veered far away from it. the JBjr is just bland humbucker blah and the virtual2's sound sort of stratty (but not really), and don't behave like a single coil should.

i want something that is UNADULTERATED strat, and probably more early 50s sounding. i am looking at a fender custom shop '54 set. i have heard clips from www.acmeguitarworks.com and like them but was wondering on any feedback here and perhaps other clips. i DO NOT want humcalcelling.

2. John Ward

John Ward Member

Fralin vintage hots are the strati- strat McStratiest especially in the 2 and 4 positions. But I was checking the price and they are spensive. The CS 54 set is on sale for $129 at angela.com

3. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

Seymour Duncan SSL-1's are my favorite all-round strat pickup. Like them better than others I've tried.

A

4. SLG

SLG Member

The Lindy Fralin Real 54's are a good choice for unadulterated 1950's Strat tones. I have one guitar loaded with the 54's. Given the choice, I'd go with the Lindy Fralin Vintage Hots. They may not be as authentic sounding as the original 50's pickups, but they sound great, and are more versatile than the 54's for various types of music. The lower output 50's pickups do have their limitations. The VH bridge pickup's lead tone cuts through much easier than the Real 54 bridge pickup. Either set will give you great Strat tone.

5. mischultz

mischultz Member

I love the 54 clips as well, but my favorite Strat set is Pete Biltoft's Vintage Vibe standard set. Classic Strat tone and great balance across the spectrum. Worth investigating.

Michael

6. Derelict

Derelict Member

i love those too. they are an option. i do dig them.

7. Souled Out

Souled Out Member

I just can't seem to put my Custom Shop Strat with WAGNER SR's down. I have many guitars and I grab for that Strat every night. I don't think they are noiseless, but I don't hear any 60 cycle hum. I am addicted I think.

8. Derelict

Derelict Member

i want to keep my price down to REASONABLE amounts. what about the fender sets? they made the original strat pups people copy,so i would think they make some good 'uns.

9. Derelict

Derelict Member

do you know if the fender fat 50s would compare to fralin vintage hots?

10. monstermike

monstermike Member

I doubt you'll get precisely the sound you're looking for out of a G&L - the completely different bridge design, neck/body geometry (the G&L "strats" I've played all had the fingerboard sitting pretty high off the body compared to a Fender - more space between the strings and face of the body), and such make for a more modern-sounding guitar.

I'm sure others with more G&L experience than I have might be able to chip in more accurately or disagree with me completely.

11. ToneKing

ToneKing Member

For the money the Fender CS series (54's, Fat 50's and 69's) are hard to beat. I have CS pu's and boutique pu's as well. I don't know that I hear $100 + difference between them. Granted not all Fender pu's sound good, but I've also, had some clunkers from some well known boutique guys. In the end it is your ear that you have to satisfy.

12. Strung Up

Strung Up Member

Strattiest. Right. WHICH Strat?

My faves are Suhr V60LP's. Listen to some Landau and Henderson to see if those sounds are what you're after vs. some other flavor.

13. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

In the absence of Hamels (I don't know if Alan is making them at this time), I'd go with Lindy Fralin "Real '54s," or Van Zandt "True Vintage."

No humbucker should EVER be in a Stratocaster, certainly not if you want it to sound like a Strat. Single coils are the ONLY way to go.

I have a set of VZ True Vintage I'm not using (I've got Hamels in my Strat now). PM me if you're interested.

14. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

was waiting for somebody to suggest the SR's. i have a set on the way, recieved word today theyve been shipped.

:RoCkIn

15. Souled Out

Souled Out Member

I am interested in hearing your thoughts after you tried them awhile. I had RS Guitarworks do some fancy wiring and install them as well.

16. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

will do, im sure the review will have the word '' Hendrix '' in there.:D

17. Derelict

Derelict Member

thanks for all the great suggestions guys; i really appreciate it. some of the clips i have heard from the fralins really sound good to me. i have to go do a lot of homework on this one and go listen to some of these in person. :dude

18. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Don't know about the Fralins, but the Fat 50s are killer pups! Make other strat pups sound anemic. Rich, lush, full, but still with that 'strattiness' you're after. Fabulous vintage vibe with great output. AC

19. Seniorspike

Seniorspike Member

+1111 on the Suhr V60LP's... like them much better than the Fralin's which are my second choice

20. The_Whale

The_Whale Member

I have a Legacy and I agree with you completely; Legacys dont sound exactly like Strats.

My Legacy has "vintage" style (although not staggerd) pickups and it doesn't sound like a Strat.