the string MIM spacing makes the high E sound quite

idnotbe

i have a Fender CS Strat and it had originally vintage string spacing (56mm or 2 7/32") bridge.
but i hate the high E slept out of the finger board when i do vibrato.

so i changed the bridge into MIM spacing (52mm or 2 1/16") and it can make me no mistake when doing vibrato.
but the problem is... the loudenss of high E and the other strings (for ex, G string) are tooo diffrent.
the high E is slightly aside from the pick up pole piece and it makes sound small.

i use flat pole piece Lollar pickups which i love.

what can be the solution? modern spacing?? (54mm)

Last edited:

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
If the action is too low, the tone could suffer. I had a similar issue with a telecaster.

metropolis74

When the high E slips off the fingerboard of a bolt on neck guitar, I would suggest checking the neck alignment first rather than switching out the bridge.

If the neck is not square in the neck pocket it's an easy fix to loosen the strings and neck bolts slightly, whack the neck into the correct alignment, and button everything back up. I've done this dozens of times to fix string alignment on the fretboard and over the polepieces.

Lewguitar

New bone nut with string spacing that is right for you.

Then you can go back to your original bridge.

ant_riv

Silver Supporting Member
When the high E slips off the fingerboard of a bolt on neck guitar, I would suggest checking the neck alignment first rather than switching out the bridge.

If the neck is not square in the neck pocket it's an easy fix to loosen the strings and neck bolts slightly, whack the neck into the correct alignment, and button everything back up. I've done this dozens of times to fix string alignment on the fretboard and over the polepieces.
This is very likely the cause.

Over the last four decades, I have needed to repeat this countless times, as I was a repairman for years and continue to fix friends' guitars.

buddastrat

New bone nut with string spacing that is right for you.

Then you can go back to your original bridge.

Not necessarily, the nut might be not spaced right, but could be as simple as the neck alignment as stated. Or could be the frets have too much/steep bevel to them. On a 1.65" nut width, I've seen that on Fenders too often. The vintage spacing and nut is a great feel, and my favorite but everything needs to be right.

As for the volume issue, the pole pieces are a factor. If it's a CS strat, the poles can adjusted for a better balance. First decide on the bridge you're gonna stay with!! Then makes sure setup/action is where you want, then adjust poles.

Last edited:

Lewguitar

Assuming the neck is centered and aligned properly, if the strings are falling off of the edge of the fingerboard a new nut is what the guitar usually needs.

A bone nut would be a better choice than a new plastic nut.

swiveltung

The nut spacing wont effect the fall off up where that usually occurs (12th fret + etc) much at all.
On the bridge, I like the narrower spacing myself. But the high E on all of them is the weakest string... just the way it is, whether the string is centered on the pole or not. Just like hitting the plinky high keys on a piano. Nature of the beast. The G is a very loud string by comparison. If you don't believe me buy a blade pickup and try it... same problem,... weak high E.
I've even used many Gibson type pickups on Fenders with no ill effect really.
It amazes me that thru all these years, with all the many pickup makers and many oddball pickups designed... No pickup maker has tried to solve the weak/unbalanced high E issue. How about the high e part of the pickup being a separate one pole pickup (but mounted tot he pickup) that is hotter?

Last edited:

JBid

See how much trouble and earload you could save by taking it to a qualified tech?

idnotbe

here are the pics of my guitar.
i think the neck is well centered.

see the E string is aside from the pole pieces, especially on the neck pup.
the loudness of the high E string is very different from G when i select the neck pup.

i have 5 guitars and no this kind of problem with the other guitars.

Lewguitar

I think it's the bridge. Strings are to close together. I'd put the old bridge back on if it had wider string spacing.

The high e does look a little closer to the edge than the low e.

Maybe loosen the screws on the back enough to do a little chiropractic adjustment to center the strings a bit better.

I've seen worse tho.

idnotbe

fyi, now i installed a modern spacing bridge (54mm) and the problem solved~!!

thank you guys for the advice.