The "suggest me a new amp" game

Pseudohobbit

Silver Supporting Member
Okay, for fun, let's play. Looking for a 112 tube amp.
- Must sound different than a Fender as I have a HRDIII that isn't going anywhere, or at the very least be a different variety of Fender.
- Must have a very good, warm, not-thin, open clean
- Must be good as a pedal platform
- Simple controls with few (or no) switches is a plus.
- Doesn't have to have a second channel, but if it does it should be good for fusion and classic rock
- My budget is between 700-900 bucks
- Wattage varies depending on your suggestion I'm sure, but let's try to stay above let's say 15 watts and below 50.

Go!

Last edited:

SKYHIGH

Okay, for fun, let's play. Looking for a 112 tube amp.
- Must sound different than a Fender as I have a HRDIII that isn't going anywhere, or at the very least be a different variety of Fender.
- Must have a very good, warm, not-thin, open clean
- Must be good as a pedal platform
- Simple controls with few (or no) switches is a plus.
- Doesn't have to have a second channel, but if it does it should be good for fusion and classic rock
- My budget is between 700-900 bucks

Go!
What wattage? 5 watter can do fusion/rock just as well as ac30 if one is playing at home.

Either way, you have Fender side covered so how about Vox AC15C1?

Pseudohobbit

Silver Supporting Member
What wattage? 5 watter can do fusion/rock just as well as ac30 if one is playing at home.

Either way, you have Fender side covered so how about Vox AC15C1?
Never really thought the Ac15 was warm enough. I have an AC30, but I'm scaling down in size.

Cgkindler

I had posted earlier the Bad Cat cougar wasn't a good pedal amp, but after some tweaking I have found it's sweet spot!!

So my suggestion is a Bad Cat Cougar 15!!

The cleans are probably the most attractive part of the amp

Second only to when you dime the volume and set the master to taste!! Holy saturated gain heaven batman!!

DaveKS

Doesn't really show any other harder fusion tones, but damn that reverb.

If you'll get away from combos friend has a Traynor Dark Horse that I love to death. Once we swapped in a couple Amperex in preamp and 2w power tubes it does fusion, blues, Santana Drive tones and cleans are extremely nice and open/natural feeling, a bit more strident/articulate than fenders but none the less soulful. 2 power sections 15w 6v6 and 2w 12au7. Brit/American/Pure voicing switch (1switch) is fantastic. Takes pedal wonderfully.

RJT

VHT Special 12/20.
Below your budget and realistically, has everything you're asking.

zwish

Silver Supporting Member
I would check out a used Dr. Z Maz 18. There is tons of info out there on these amps, but they're widely regarded as a stellar pedal platform and have a great clean tone. I've played many shows with a 1x12 combo and they were always hassle free with great tone. That was an amp that I never had to tinker with. Very open sounding and let the guitar's characteristics shine through better than most amps that I've owned. Don't expect to get much natural overdrive out of the amp in a home setting, but as a lush clean that works with pedals, I think it's one of the best out there.

Tommy Biggs

Gold Supporting Member
used Genz Benz Black Pearl. Stupid cheap these days. Great speaker, nicely versatile,7/15/30 watts selectable. Heavy too, at 53lbs
Maz and budda are good choices too.

TimD

Silver Supporting Member
Used Dr Z combo. Carmen Ghia, Maz, M12. Should be able to find one of these closer to the top end of your budget.