The Sunface with other pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BluePowder, Oct 1, 2006.

1. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

My AM Sunface NKT275 with sundial just arrived today. Like most of my board... lot's of the opinions expressed here on TGP influenced me to get one, and of course Deviltone's Videos. I was messing around with it today the tones from this baby are just amazing, the nicest fuzz I've ever played, and most of all it works well with my Musicman Luke fitted with EMGs.

However I experienced some weirdness today when running it with my mojovibe.

My signal path is as follows, Guitar>mojovibe>TCJ Gristle King>AM Sunface , the boost from the Gristle King works very well with the fuzz on the Sunface.

However I experience a big drop in gain when I kick on my Mojovibe into the Sunface, running both pedals on at the same time, everything else switched off. I've tried adjusting the volume on both pedals, the Mojovibe and the Sunface, but the problem still persists. Running the vibe after the Sunface poses no problems, but I've always prefered to use my vibe before gain pedals.

The Sunface is running on the stock battery which it came with, all other pedals are running on a daisy chain with a Onespot.

Anyone here care to share some advice?

Thanks!

2. Tonemeister69

Tonemeister69 Member

Hi mate, congrats on the pedal!

I too have a Sunface and I find that it definately does like being first in the chain.. don't ask me why though. I'm sure people will chime in here with some more technical reason(s)

Enjoy!

3. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Thanks for the swift reply dude, I tried the mojovibe with other distortion pedals and it seems the gain drop issue only happens with the Sunface being after it.

I'm not much of a technical guy when it comes to fuzz, I checked out some posts on TGP and most fellas run their vibes after the Sunface.

4. eric-d

eric-d Member

Definitely try the Sunface first with the Mojo's Intensity turned down to keep the vibe effect present, but not to make it TOO Phase like. See if that'll help.

5. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Just the man I was waiting to hear from!

Yeah dude I just tried out that prescription and it works well, I'll have to watch the intensity level though, don't want the tone to get all that swirly.

Surprisingly the Sunface works really well with other drive pedals, I even tried it with my fulltone ultimate octave today! Sounded pretty decent!

Thanks for the tip man.:dude

6. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

When we were doing the FUZZ documentary last week I brought out one of the Sun Lion's we built for Billy Gibbons) (nkt sunface into beano boost in one pedal). We found that with the Beano side (rangemaster) at 9:00 (unity gain) the fuzz sound was PHENOMINAL, just like a normal fuzzface but with more focus, clarity, and cut- really good in a band situation. I usually set my sunlion Boost up high for crazier sounds, but now I found a new way to run it for clear clean fuzz... so if you have any type or rangemaster type booster, try it after the sunface and it may even work better running into the univibe that way.

Have fun!

7. whoofnagle

whoofnagle Member

I think my sunlion is just the sh#t. I love the ability to run the fuzz alone or with the trebble boost. Actually, I have stuck another fuzz right after the sunlion so I get the trebble boost before fuzz as well as fuzz before boost - great spectrum of tones!!

8. drolling

drolling Member

Oh yeah - that's one I'd really like to try, too.. but I've yet to find a vintage-style fuzz pedal that doesn't throw a tantrum unless it's first in line.

The only pedal I run before ANY of my fuzzes is a Foxrox booster-loaded VOX wah. I'm also a big fan of Bob Sweet's vibes and the old Ultravibe's been one of the few constants in my ever evolving, mutating signal chain..

But I agree w/you (and Bob) that a univibe usually sounds best pre-distortion, so my simple solution has been to leave the fuzz in front, and add an overdrive AFTER the vibe - unless the amp's already on '11', which just isn't practical most of the time.

9. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

I have tried this remedy as well, but running the vibe after the fuzz significantly alters the tone, and putting another drive after the vibe would make me a tap dancer too. :)

Thanks for the tips guys, really appreciate it!

Mike you're making me want a Beanoboost right now...

10. Rock-On!!

Rock-On!! Member

ItÂ’s not vintage, but the Blues Pro in the fuzz mode does very well after an OD.

I run the AM Sunface>OCD>Blues Pro>Timmy and it sounds great.:RoCkIn

11. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

One possible solution is a looper. You could put the vibe and OD in their own loop, keep them both on all the time, when you select (one stomp of the foot) that loop, voila...

12. eric-d

eric-d Member

Check my videos... there's a Sunface into a Klon. Look for the "Doyle" vid...

13. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

I think that is a great combination. I have my SF with the internal volume rolled off a little to reduce woof and the gain is around 03:00. The sun dial is set to give about 5v on the first transistor. This is great for a fat, dynamic tone and if I kick in the Klon (gain off, treble and volume 12:00) it tightens things up a little and makes things a little more OD and less fuzz. Cuts really well that way.

Chris

14. Jube2550

Jube2550 Member

So far I have used the Sunface in front of a YJM308, Crunchbox and an HBE Germanium treble boost and it works with aplomb in front of all of them. The Crunchbox has yielded the best tones to my ear due to the high gain overdriven Marshall in a box sound the Crunchbox does so well. Black & Tan on tap. The HBE is my second favorite. To date the Sunface was the most expensive pedal purchase for me but it also has the most vibe as well. Great pedal Mike..cheers.

15. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

One thing I have noticed is that the Sun Face works well into many pedals including my Blackstone in non-buffered mode...something that many pedals don't. I am not sure but if the reason is the simplicity of the circuit but it seems to allow you to control the Sun Face AND the following pedal from your guitars volume. I can get some really great combo tones with the SunFace into the Brown side of the Blackstone, from Neil Young to a nice vintage "Cream" like OD. It's responsiveness to the guitar (needs to be first in line) makes it a good staking pedal in general...fwiw.