the super champ XD: better BF tone than Cube-30 ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by soopajeanmi, May 16, 2008.

1. soopajeanmi

soopajeanmi Member

I've been using a Roland cube 30 for a few year, on the BlackFace setting only: I'm very satisfied by this tone with gain at 12:00 for a fat blackface tone quite faithful to the original.

Simple question: are the BF tone of the superchamp XD better than those of the cube 30 ?

2. petromalt

petromalt Member

Short answer, yes. I purchased both, and returned the Roland. The Super Champ XD does great Fender tones (tweed & BF).

3. opdev

opdev Member

Yes, the SC actually sounds nearly as good as my '66 PR when I play them side by side.

4. soopajeanmi

soopajeanmi Member

ok thanks. Need to find one in stock now...

5. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

Yes, owned the Cube, played the SC. The SC is one ^&^%$#@ amazing amp for the money! The Fender DSP front end is the best going to begin with, then you add in the perfect anti-freeze of 6V6s and the result is hybrid magic. NOTE: the Roland COSM sims do Marshall well, but not Fender BF. The Fender DSP/Cyber Engine does Fender BF quite well, but not Marshall. Never the twains shall meet.

The downside is that the SC is tiny, and its 10" sounds boxy/smallish jammed into that tiny space. First thing to do is to get a Ragin Cajun in there, makes it louder and better overall.

And it ain't all that loud no matter what anybody tells you. With the Ragin maybe just loud enough to stand up to a blues drummer (but not a metal freak). The SC is notably less loud than a BJ.

But it sounds amazing and is incredibly versatile with all those tones. You can dial in something frighteningly close to a DRRI vibe (without the clean headroom/volume of course)--but--it has a line out so you just run it straight into your PA and even though it's a non-compensated line out--you'll lose the tubes and speaker wondrousness--the DSP which draws on the excellent Cyber engine tech is good enough to rock through the PA anyways as an enhancement.

You've heard the sarcastic slogan "a bargain at twice the price." The SCXD literally might be. What else but a pedal can $300 buy??? With PA backup, you can gig with this thing.

We've all heard crappy hybrids. A lot of guys even hate the Line 6 Spider Valves at $700. Fender actually, psssst, just between you and me, kinda blew it with this one. It's TOO good for the money. They kind of stumbled onto a formula here that makes Pro Jrs and BJs obsolete for cheap. Especially since BJs are what now, like $480???

6. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

Does it have a good tweed Bassman type sound?

7. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

Yeah, pretty good one too. I don't personally like the Bassman sound, but it's got one.

8. JumpMarine

JumpMarine Supporting Member

9. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Thankx for the info Maruuk!! it sounds that good...wow...

10. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

It sounds really good with the stock, tiny-magnet Eminence. But gets louder and more detailed with the RC. Though surprisingly, the stock speaker has more bottom end. Go figure.

11. phatster

phatster Member

I'd go for the one on emporium if I didn't already own....plus the footswitch!!