The SUPRO Amp Appreciation Thread - Vintage and New

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 70' s Tone, Jul 15, 2018.

1. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Let's discuss the merits of these amps, both old and new. A variety of models were made - and are currently being made. What do you have? What do you like - what don't you like.

2. kennyabis

kennyabis Member

Had 2 of the thunderbolt reissues. First one sounded great cranked for a while but developed a fault after only about a week. Replacement sent didn't sound quite as good and developed a similar fault after less than 30 mins. Returned for refund. Overall disappointing experience. Did think it had a really cool unique sound while it lasted tho...shame

3. stratjim

stratjim Member

I have a '66 Supro Royal Reverb that I've owned since 1971. I was looking for an inexpensive Fender for my DeArmond pickup-ed acoustic guitars ('65 Gibson B 45 12 string and a '68 Ovation Glen Campbell Deluxe) and this popped up in one of those classified ad magazines. I wasn't that impressed with the sound, had never heard of Supro at the time, but it had reverb and 2 10" speakers. He wanted $75, I offered $65 and walked away with it. I used it over the years in various capacities, as a PA for my 1st wedding, a pre-amp plugged from the speaker out to the input of my 50 watt Marshall (killer tone), from the speaker out using my blackface Twin EV speakers, and, at bedroom levels, as a cool old amp.
    About 10 years ago, I sent it off to Indiana to the 'Valco Guy' and he did a restoration, including caps, 3 prong cord, replaced some resistors, checked my tube collection and found a good set, cleaned and tweaked, even found a wire that had been looped over the connector and never soldered from the factory.
    The amp is now a total killer. Original speakers and all...it rocks.

tccc1015, jpervin, NamaEnsou and 4 others like this.
  4. borducks

borducks Member

I don't have a Supro, but I have a new found appreciation since I heard Teddy Kumpel play the 50 watt head + matching stack with Joe Jackson last month. I'm sure it's a tribute to Mr. Kumpel's technique, but wow was that an amazing set of sounds he was getting out of it. Clear and chiming to grinding but in kind of a polite way. I dunno. Seemed quite versatile. Anyway, it made me run back to the one Supro dealer I know of in St. Louis, and, alas they were all gone!

I asked the dealer why, and he said he couldn't compete with discount dealers because Supro didn't control their retail pricing. After too many money losing price matches, he just stopped selling them. Is this a wider concern?

70' s Tone likes this.
  5. JumpinBradFlash

JumpinBradFlash Member

I have a 1953 Supro Comet. It's an awesome little amp for tweed tones without pissing off the family and neighbours

tccc1015, 70' s Tone and vrdl87 like this.
  6. b80

b80 Member

I owned one of the new Dual Tones and really dug the sound! Especially when pushed with some overdrive. However, it was overly buzzy/noisy so I moved on from it. Always wanted to try some of their other offerings.

70' s Tone likes this.
  7. scott58

scott58 Member

I've been saving for a Helix, but the Black Magick has my attention.

scolfax and 70' s Tone like this.
  8. Serenity

Serenity Member

I've been lucky enough to play quite a few of the new Supro range. I'm in the market for a new amp, the Black Magick Reverb and Statesman are currently topping my list, mostly because they're available as heads, and i want to run them through 2 2x12's. I loved the 1600 Supreme and the Comet, and if i was looking for a smaller combo either of these would scratch that itch nicely.

If i could afford it, i'd have one of each. :D

9. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Good to hear that you like what you heard. The amps yield some terrific sounds to be sure.

The concern/issue you raise regarding the price matching is a reality every retailer is faced with - no matter what the product is: amps, guitars, strings, accessories, etc. I'm not sure what the answer is for the brick and mortar shops. I would prefer purchasing from a local shop - few that there are now in my area - but they don't stock much of what I'm interested in. Which means I cannot try out the product. And of course there is the price discrepancy thing. It's difficult to justify paying 15-23% more (not even considering the state tax thing) when you can order on-line and have the product delivered to your door. The convenience of shopping on-line and having such a wide assortment of product to select from is something the local shops have to address if they are to remain in business.

tccc1015 and vrdl87 like this.
  10. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Post a pic of the little beast if you can. :)

JumpinBradFlash likes this.
  11. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

I think I recall reading a post of yours regarding that issue - tube related issue if memory serves me right. I have a Dual-Tone and love it, although it has not seen much play time since I got the Supro Statesman. :)

12. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

The Black Magick is a sweet amp - especially with the extension speaker.
    [​IMG]

scolfax, xcc, stickyFingerz and 2 others like this.
  13. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

The new Black Magick with it's additional features is nice. Love that master volume control, and the updated speaker accommodation that accepts 16 Ohms, 8 Ohms, and 4 Ohms.
    https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/supro-black-magick-reverb-head

The Supro Statesman delivers in every way imaginable. Love mine. :)
    [​IMG]

14. morgan918

morgan918 Member

I have a late 60's Big Star 2x12. Looks like a cross between an easy bake oven and a 50's car, I freaking love it. Sounds great with this awesome greasy overdrive and reverb that can be super dank. The reverb knob is somehow ganged onto the reverb channel volume - so turning up the reverb gets you more mids, more overdrive. Just more. This is factory too, not a mod. Super cool.

Here it is with my Novo ridin' high.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

scolfax, tccc1015, MoarGear and 13 others like this.
  15. uriahh1

uriahh1 Member

My Supro Supreme smokes..

70' s Tone likes this.
  16. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

My favorite amps by far, saving for a new black magic reverb.

70' s Tone likes this.
  17. Serenity

Serenity Member

I almost bought a Statesman when it was released, but the updated Black Magick has addressed the minor problems i had with the original. I'm interested to see how good the master volume is. There are also a couple of Victory amps that are contending for my cash. I'm going to take trip out next month and try them all again to see if i can decide on a winner.

70' s Tone likes this.
  18. e???

e??? Member

19. Muzzy

Muzzy Supporting Member

I love the old Valco/Supro amps. I have three. A 1964 Airline with the Supro 1624T circuit, a 1964 Airline with the Supro 1616T circuit and a Valclone with the late 50's 1624T circuit. All of them sound exceptional. I've never tried the reissues.

70' s Tone and JumpinBradFlash like this.
  20. JumpinBradFlash

JumpinBradFlash Member

Here you go

[​IMG]

scolfax, tccc1015, MoarGear and 5 others like this.