The SUPRO Amp Appreciation Thread - Vintage and New

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 70' s Tone, Jul 15, 2018.

1. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Good to hear from another believer! :)

I never understood why SUPRO discontinued the Jupiter. Players just were not familiar with what the amp could do. The company should have given it a little more time.

I found the Jupiter to be incredible. Like yourself, I purchased one (but from M/F) when they were marked down due to being discontinued. I already had the SUPRO Royal Reverb, but for the price, I could not pass on the Jupiter. The 12" hemp speaker is outrageously wonderful - yields a different tone and texture than the Royal Reverb, which has 2x10" speakers. Could not ask for a better amp.

I have two of the Statesman 2x12" cabs. One day I'll hook both up to the Jupiter to see how it sounds.

2. Bodhisattva

Bodhisattva Member

I've had a Dual Tone, a Saturn Reverb A Comet (all new ones) and had my older brother's Corsica as a kid (we blew it up with home made distortion pedals.. god i wish i still had that one)
    Loved them all. Went on a 335 quest and traded or sold them toward that. The 335 is cool but i miss them. Especially the Saturn Reverb.

70' s Tone likes this.
  3. Tony-Cliffton

Tony-Cliffton Member

I have a dirty girl amplification “best of” 1624t. It’s called “best of” because it can run either the late 50’s 6v6’s or the 60’s with the 6973’s. It came with a vintage Rola 12” speaker, that I promptly blew. I have a 76’ Celestion black back in there now, with the 55hz cone, and it sounds really good.
    Excellent build quality, including the Mather built cab. Sounds great with my pedals too.
    Eric was great to deal with, and has continued to give me advise, and answer questions long after I bought it.
    I think I paid like $950, and it came with jj 6v6’s and vintage 6973 variant tubes. I had a stash of nos preamp tubes I put in it. It’s a great amp, and I would buy from Eric again, no question.

MoarGear, Rumble5 and Gridlock like this.
  4. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Member

'63 Gretsch 6150T, basically a re-badged Supro Super with nicer hardware. This one is in nearly immaculate condition.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is a low-mid gain 5 watt amp, basically a Champ killer. If you put a little boost out front it purrs and can get quite swampy. Interestingly, the Trem has only a speed control. From the era of hideous luggage!:rotflmao

Bob

5. Tony-Cliffton

Tony-Cliffton Member

6. fitz

fitz Member

Mines not a vintage one, but the reissue Supros caught my eye. I picked up the 1600 Supreme from Sweetwater for $699 which I thought was a deal. To me, the sounds is unique, not Fender or Marshall, but somewhere in between. IMO the Supreme sounds like a clean sparkly Marshall. I'm not typically a modder, but Tungsol tubes and a speaker change to a Jensen C10R instead of the Eminence made speaker brightened the amp up further. All in all a very cool amp, good looks & great tone. Also a pretty loud 12 watt amp, with 25 watts when running channel 1&2 in parallel.

7. Gridlock

Gridlock Member

Tony-Cliffton likes this.
  8. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Smell and fell that vintage vibe! :)
    I like it!!! ;)

9. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

I remember that deal - it was sweet. Had to pass on it unfortunately - really wanted one.
    Thanks for sharing the info on the Tungsol tubes and Jensen C10R - someone here might benefit from your trying something new.

10. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Member

Thanks! I was just now playing it and indeed smelling Eau de Vintage. A while back I wrote up a little ode to old gear smell and its ability to call up memories. It is posted, HERE.

Bob

70' s Tone likes this.
  11. oansun

oansun Supporting Member

I have a Jupiter. I had a Saturn, i bought the Saturn on a Sweetwater deal. I loved it, but for what I was playing i just needed a bit more headroom so i bought a Jupiter. I’m just in love with these amps. Just wonderful for pedals, and can attenuate for a great gain sound. I was missing amp distortion for a while, so i have a Rocker 30 as well. But i just use both at the same time now.
    I give my high marks to Supro, sounds massive. I was coming from a Superlead and was just wanting to change my sound and i love that I did. The Saturn kept up with a band and a HEAVY handed drummer

12. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

I agree. The SUPRO Jupiter is a killer amp. Glad to hear you are enjoying it! :)

oansun likes this.
  13. pinkfuzz65

pinkfuzz65 Member

So I recently got a statesman head after reading here and being recommended by @70' s Tone .

A few comments after spending about 3 hours with it and throwing some pedals at it.

1. Damn this thing eats pedalsfor breakfast lunch and dinner. Of note - I have a Greer Southland and it sounds soooo good with this amp for some reason. It's ridiculously good, breakup is clear crisp and glassy. Takes fuzzes like a champ.

2. Lots of clean head room. Lots of possibilities in the middle position, playing with both the volume knobs. There are so many flavors and textures of clean tone.

3. The reverb is godly. Always hated the onboard reverb on my rockerverb. This is so nice and really ads another dimension to the sound.

Verdict - love it for it's versatility. It does the vintage edge of breakup tone in spades in so many different ways. Wish I could naturally break up a bit more at lower volumes so gonna try to find an attenuator to see if that works.

Played it through my trusty zilla 2x12 with cream backs. Still need to explore the loop more.

JThomas63, la noise and 70' s Tone like this.
  14. rusty

rusty Supporting Member

i let this ‘61 go to fund a tweed purchase i’d been after for years...a klon into this thing was heaven!!!

[​IMG]

15. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Congrats on your purchase. The Statesman is really is an impressive piece of equipment.
    Try the following settings on the Blue Channel for some superb grain:
    Engage the Effects Loop (indicator light should be on).
    Set the Send Knob (located on the back of the amp) to max setting.
    Set the Return Knob (also located on the back of the amp) to your listening pleasure. Start at about 8:00.
    Set the Volume Knob for the Blue Channel (located on the front of the amp) to about 5:00. (At max setting you really get some fantastic crunch).
    Set the Treble Knob (located on the front of the amp) to max setting.
    Set the Bass Knob (located on the front of the amp) to min setting.
    Select either Class A or Class AB.
    I use this setting on the Blue Channel to contrast with the Red channel. It's great because I can toggle back and forth between the two, or run them both simultaneously for a great blend.
    Also, the reverb performs differently under the above settings (with the Effects Loop engaged - with nothing plugged into it).
    NOTE: I max out the Treble control and minimize the Bass control on the Blue Channel when playing the neck pickup on my Johnny A. When using my Telecaster (bridge pickup only), the Treble and Bass settings are tweaked accordingly.

Hope you find this beneficial.

For reference:
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...ead-kudos-to-thomas-elliott-designer.1959893/
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...-potential-it-might-be.1970059/#post-27048193

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    pinkfuzz65 likes this.
  16. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Absolutely stunning!! :cool::D

rusty likes this.
  17. pinkfuzz65

pinkfuzz65 Member

I'm gonna be on this setting for a while. Thanks for this, sounds awesome.

70' s Tone likes this.
  18. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Good to hear you could take advantage of the settings.
    The Statesman is a superb amp and capable of doing many things well.
    Enjoy!!! :)

pinkfuzz65 likes this.
  19. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    pinkfuzz65 likes this.
  20. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

I've had a few go thru my fingers over the years.

[​IMG]

The lil Champ size one sounded good. [can't find my pic]
    [​IMG]

Too bad you can't just keep em all.

70' s Tone and Tony-Cliffton like this.