The SUPRO Amp Appreciation Thread - Vintage and New

Bob Womack

'63 Gretsch 6150T, basically a re-badged Supro Super with nicer hardware. This one is in nearly immaculate condition.

It is a low-mid gain 5 watt amp, basically a Champ killer. If you put a little boost out front it purrs and can get quite swampy. Interestingly, the Trem has only a speed control. From the era of hideous luggage!:rotflmao

Bob

fitz

Mines not a vintage one, but the reissue Supros caught my eye. I picked up the 1600 Supreme from Sweetwater for $699 which I thought was a deal. To me, the sounds is unique, not Fender or Marshall, but somewhere in between. IMO the Supreme sounds like a clean sparkly Marshall. I'm not typically a modder, but Tungsol tubes and a speaker change to a Jensen C10R instead of the Eminence made speaker brightened the amp up further. All in all a very cool amp, good looks & great tone. Also a pretty loud 12 watt amp, with 25 watts when running channel 1&2 in parallel.

oansun

Supporting Member
I have a Jupiter. I had a Saturn, i bought the Saturn on a Sweetwater deal. I loved it, but for what I was playing i just needed a bit more headroom so i bought a Jupiter. I’m just in love with these amps. Just wonderful for pedals, and can attenuate for a great gain sound. I was missing amp distortion for a while, so i have a Rocker 30 as well. But i just use both at the same time now.
I give my high marks to Supro, sounds massive. I was coming from a Superlead and was just wanting to change my sound and i love that I did. The Saturn kept up with a band and a HEAVY handed drummer

70' s Tone

I have a Jupiter. I had a Saturn, i bought the Saturn on a Sweetwater deal. I loved it, but for what I was playing i just needed a bit more headroom so i bought a Jupiter. I’m just in love with these amps. Just wonderful for pedals, and can attenuate for a great gain sound. I was missing amp distortion for a while, so i have a Rocker 30 as well. But i just use both at the same time now.
I give my high marks to Supro, sounds massive. I was coming from a Superlead and was just wanting to change my sound and i love that I did. The Saturn kept up with a band and a HEAVY handed drummer
I agree. The SUPRO Jupiter is a killer amp. Glad to hear you are enjoying it! :)

pinkfuzz65

So I recently got a statesman head after reading here and being recommended by @70' s Tone .

A few comments after spending about 3 hours with it and throwing some pedals at it.

1. Damn this thing eats pedalsfor breakfast lunch and dinner. Of note - I have a Greer Southland and it sounds soooo good with this amp for some reason. It's ridiculously good, breakup is clear crisp and glassy. Takes fuzzes like a champ.

2. Lots of clean head room. Lots of possibilities in the middle position, playing with both the volume knobs. There are so many flavors and textures of clean tone.

3. The reverb is godly. Always hated the onboard reverb on my rockerverb. This is so nice and really ads another dimension to the sound.

Verdict - love it for it's versatility. It does the vintage edge of breakup tone in spades in so many different ways. Wish I could naturally break up a bit more at lower volumes so gonna try to find an attenuator to see if that works.

Played it through my trusty zilla 2x12 with cream backs. Still need to explore the loop more.

70' s Tone

So I recently got a statesman head after reading here and being recommended by @70' s Tone .

A few comments after spending about 3 hours with it and throwing some pedals at it.

1. Damn this thing eats pedalsfor breakfast lunch and dinner. Of note - I have a Greer Southland and it sounds soooo good with this amp for some reason. It's ridiculously good, breakup is clear crisp and glassy. Takes fuzzes like a champ.

2. Lots of clean head room. Lots of possibilities in the middle position, playing with both the volume knobs. There are so many flavors and textures of clean tone.

3. The reverb is godly. Always hated the onboard reverb on my rockerverb. This is so nice and really ads another dimension to the sound.

Verdict - love it for it's versatility. It does the vintage edge of breakup tone in spades in so many different ways. Wish I could naturally break up a bit more at lower volumes so gonna try to find an attenuator to see if that works.

Played it through my trusty zilla 2x12 with cream backs. Still need to explore the loop more.
Congrats on your purchase. The Statesman is really is an impressive piece of equipment.
Try the following settings on the Blue Channel for some superb grain:
Engage the Effects Loop (indicator light should be on).
Set the Send Knob (located on the back of the amp) to max setting.
Set the Return Knob (also located on the back of the amp) to your listening pleasure. Start at about 8:00.
Set the Volume Knob for the Blue Channel (located on the front of the amp) to about 5:00. (At max setting you really get some fantastic crunch).
Set the Treble Knob (located on the front of the amp) to max setting.
Set the Bass Knob (located on the front of the amp) to min setting.
Select either Class A or Class AB.
I use this setting on the Blue Channel to contrast with the Red channel. It's great because I can toggle back and forth between the two, or run them both simultaneously for a great blend.
Also, the reverb performs differently under the above settings (with the Effects Loop engaged - with nothing plugged into it).
NOTE: I max out the Treble control and minimize the Bass control on the Blue Channel when playing the neck pickup on my Johnny A. When using my Telecaster (bridge pickup only), the Treble and Bass settings are tweaked accordingly.

Hope you find this beneficial.

For reference:
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...ead-kudos-to-thomas-elliott-designer.1959893/
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...-potential-it-might-be.1970059/#post-27048193

Last edited:

pinkfuzz65

Congrats on your purchase. The Statesman is really is an impressive piece of equipment.
Try the following settings on the Blue Channel for some superb grain:
Engage the Effects Loop (indicator light should be on).
Set the Send Knob (located on the back of the amp) to max setting.
Set the Return Knob (also located on the back of the amp) to your listening pleasure. Start at about 8:00.
Set the Volume Knob for the Blue Channel (located on the front of the amp) to about 5:00. (At max setting you really get some fantastic crunch).
Set the Treble Knob (located on the front of the amp) to max setting.
Set the Bass Knob (located on the front of the amp) to min setting.
Select either Class A or Class AB.
I use this setting on the Blue Channel to contrast with the Red channel. It's great because I can toggle back and forth between the two, or run them both simultaneously for a great blend.
Also, the reverb performs differently under the above settings (with the Effects Loop engaged - with nothing plugged into it).
NOTE: I max out the Treble control and minimize the Bass control on the Blue Channel when playing the neck pickup on my Johnny A. When using my Telecaster (bridge pickup only), the Treble and Bass settings are tweaked accordingly.

Hope you find this beneficial.

For reference:
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...ead-kudos-to-thomas-elliott-designer.1959893/
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...-potential-it-might-be.1970059/#post-27048193
I'm gonna be on this setting for a while. Thanks for this, sounds awesome.

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Silver Supporting Member
Here's my vintage S6422TR - a 1X10 combo that doesn't know how old it really is. Not boxy and a big, snotty loud, balanced overdriven sound when pushed to where the vol. pot runs out of room. I can just mic this and play most any size stage. I got this almost 15 years ago for $250.00. It's my little gem. Edit: it's a 1X6V6 powered amp BTW

Last edited:

Phineas Ball

Fuzz
Silver Supporting Member
Here's mine. It's a 1624 from (IIRC) '62. When I bought it, it was 100% original, all the way down to original tubes (or at least, period correct and old - someone may have replaced them three or four decades ago). I made two mods: a three-prong plug, and a speaker interconnect so I could run it into different speaker cabinets.

Cranked, it sounds really good; much, much better into a 4 x 12 than into its own speaker. I have to be honest - I prefer my Fenders and Marshalls. It looks absolutely killer and occupies pride-of-place in my studio.

Trending Topics