The SUPRO Amp Appreciation Thread - Vintage and New

70' s Tone

Here's mine. It's a 1624 from (IIRC) '62. When I bought it, it was 100% original, all the way down to original tubes (or at least, period correct and old - someone may have replaced them three or four decades ago). I made two mods: a three-prong plug, and a speaker interconnect so I could run it into different speaker cabinets.

Cranked, it sounds really good; much, much better into a 4 x 12 than into its own speaker. I have to be honest - I prefer my Fenders and Marshalls. It looks absolutely killer and occupies pride-of-place in my studio.
I love being served such a delectable slice of history. :)
Absolutely stunning SUPRO - a real eye catcher and I bet she sounds divine. ;)
Everything about that amp screams vintage candy - including the knobs! :D
I bet that's the model (or close to it) that Jimmy Page used on Led Zeppelin I.
Thanks for posting. It's sure appreciated.

pirate19

I have a 1961 Supro 1614 Spectator and mid-60s Valco-made Montgomery Ward 62GVC-9032A (identical to Airline). Little 5W Champ killers!

oansun

Supporting Member
Looking to pair my Jupiter with something midrangey. I've gone through a few but am just not digging it so much, but the Jupiter sounds so heavenly. Then I thought, "well, another Supro"
So any advice on what could work?

Andres6and8

Here's the first (of hopefully many) Supros that pass through my collection. It's a '63 Supro "Super" 1606, and per the recommendation of the desire to stay alive, it's currently being serviced to transform its 2-prong power plug into a safer 3-prong with the grounding wired appropriately.

For chugging out a mere 5 watts, it sure is loud- and provides a nice, diverse addition to my Fender '59 Bassman Reissue and '67 Fender Bandmaster.

morglan

My Airline 8205-S. Valco built, about 5 watts, pretty sure it's the same as the Supro Super.

If i ever see another one, I'll buy it in a heartbeat.

The original alnico 8" Jensen P8r sounds the best, but they blow (I've been through 4 of them). Weber Sig sounds terrible in these .I have some huge magnet 8" in there now, but I think I might give the regular Jensen P8r RI a shot.

Rockinrob86

Here's a couple of mine! I finished a supro inspired build a couple months ago, I should make a video of that one too, it came out great!

Supros are fantastic, I end up using them all the time when recording. They sit in a mix well or stand out just perfectly depending on what you're doing

Tony-Cliffton

Rob, dig your recordings!

Here's a couple of mine! I finished a supro inspired build a couple months ago, I should make a video of that one too, it came out great!

Supros are fantastic, I end up using them all the time when recording. They sit in a mix well or stand out just perfectly depending on what you're doing

Trending Topics