The SUPRO Amp Appreciation Thread - Vintage and New

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 70' s Tone, Jul 15, 2018.

1. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Any of the following should do nicely... :);)
    [​IMG]

2. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

What a classic. I can hear and smell that vintage goodness. ;):D

3. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Looking at your avatar as well as the posted pic, I'd say that was a match made in heaven. :D:cool:

4. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

The vintage greatness just keeps getting better and better and better! :D:D:D

pirate19 likes this.
  5. oansun

oansun Supporting Member

Haha, pretty much what i was thinking. Or Dual Tone. Thanks!

70' s Tone likes this.
  6. Smashies

Smashies Silver Supporting Member

Just picked up this used 1690T Coronado clone by Dirty Girl from Sound Pure. Packed with a Weber Alnico 10" 10A125 and a 10A125-O (the latter for earlier breakup).

I'm in love.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

The Dual-Tone is a terrific amp - very similar to the Black Magick. The tone is sublime. :)

JumpinBradFlash likes this.
  8. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

What a killer rig. You're fortunate to have found something so incredibly nice.

Hey, we're practically related. :D
    [​IMG]

ThinPaperWings and Smashies like this.
  9. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Member

Here's a couple of mine! I finished a supro inspired build a couple months ago, I should make a video of that one too, it came out great!

Supros are fantastic, I end up using them all the time when recording. They sit in a mix well or stand out just perfectly depending on what you're doing

10. oansun

oansun Supporting Member

IDK, now I also want the Supreme. Better just get them all

70' s Tone likes this.
  11. Zado

Zado Member

Played a 1610R combo two days ago. Excellent tones from that lil boy. Chapeau.

70' s Tone likes this.
  12. Tony-Cliffton

Tony-Cliffton Member

Rob, dig your recordings!

Rockinrob86 likes this.
  13. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

14. Carabinerx

Carabinerx Member

I have a 1605r, the littlest Supro of the bunch! It’s a cool little amp, not my favorite but it’s fun to play with. Tons of reverb and the OD is great when maxed out. It can do all kinds of funky tricks with tons of ins and outs for just the reverbed signal, work as a slave, or to slave something else, and so on. Weird stuff but really versatile.

My only complaints are how underpowered it is for 5 Watts. I live in an apartment, never thought I’d have this issue with any tube amp being too quiet, my silver face vibrochamp started shaking things at 5, I have this dimed on the master and the gain on the verge of break up (because I actually like clean tones, too, go figure), and I just can’t get it loud enough. I changed the preamp tubes to OS Millard’s and run it through an old Jensen p12, which helped tame the flabby lows and...fairly sterile highs, this was mostly due to the 8” speaker it comes with. It’s not a particularly forgiving amp, no bloom or sag, but I think it’s SS rectifier so not too big a surprise there.

Loads of verb, loads of crunch. That just maybe what this amp is good for and leave it at that!

70' s Tone likes this.
  15. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Great post!!! ;):)

16. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Mattbedrock likes this.
  17. Tony-Cliffton

Tony-Cliffton Member

I have a theory about the Jimmy Page amp thing. Not to derail this thread, but to get some other opinions. This threat would be a good spot to put the info, IMO.
    It is said that his amp was modified to accommodate a 12” speaker.
    At that time, in the UK, weren’t the most popular speakers the celestion green backs?
    My theory is that’s what went into pages supro.
    What do you guys think?

18. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

https://suprousa.com/1695t-black-magick/

Supro presents: Black Magick, a recreation of one of Rock & Roll music’s holy-grail amplifiers. This all-tube, high-gain blues machine hearkens back to the dimensions, cosmetics and circuitry of the Supro amps from 1959, just like the one loaned by Jimmy Page to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Museum. In tribute to this legendary and extensively modified Supro combo, we’ve used the cabinet dimensions from a ‘59 Supro 2 x 10 and replaced the baffle with a 1 x 12 and armed this 25-watt combo, with a custom, British voiced speaker that was specially developed for the Black Magick amp.

Tony-Cliffton likes this.
  19. Oinkus

Oinkus Member

That just rings every bell for me , Black Magick head with reverb and tremolo gee whiz. I just like that it has different power tubes. Ordered the Black Magick head today , at some point I will ramble about it endlessly.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    morgan918 and 70' s Tone like this.
  20. JumpinBradFlash

JumpinBradFlash Member

Has anyone tried the Dual Tone and Black Magick? I’ve been very interested in the Black Magick since it was released but I’ve become curious about the 1624T and some of the demo’s are super impressive. I think i’m leaning towards the Dual Tone currently but curious to hear others thoughts and especially experiences

70' s Tone likes this.