The SUPRO Amp Appreciation Thread - Vintage and New

Carabinerx

I have a 1605r, the littlest Supro of the bunch! It’s a cool little amp, not my favorite but it’s fun to play with. Tons of reverb and the OD is great when maxed out. It can do all kinds of funky tricks with tons of ins and outs for just the reverbed signal, work as a slave, or to slave something else, and so on. Weird stuff but really versatile.

My only complaints are how underpowered it is for 5 Watts. I live in an apartment, never thought I’d have this issue with any tube amp being too quiet, my silver face vibrochamp started shaking things at 5, I have this dimed on the master and the gain on the verge of break up (because I actually like clean tones, too, go figure), and I just can’t get it loud enough. I changed the preamp tubes to OS Millard’s and run it through an old Jensen p12, which helped tame the flabby lows and...fairly sterile highs, this was mostly due to the 8” speaker it comes with. It’s not a particularly forgiving amp, no bloom or sag, but I think it’s SS rectifier so not too big a surprise there.

Loads of verb, loads of crunch. That just maybe what this amp is good for and leave it at that!

Tony-Cliffton

I have a theory about the Jimmy Page amp thing. Not to derail this thread, but to get some other opinions. This threat would be a good spot to put the info, IMO.
It is said that his amp was modified to accommodate a 12” speaker.
At that time, in the UK, weren’t the most popular speakers the celestion green backs?
My theory is that’s what went into pages supro.
What do you guys think?

70' s Tone

I have a theory about the Jimmy Page amp thing. Not to derail this thread, but to get some other opinions. This threat would be a good spot to put the info, IMO.
It is said that his amp was modified to accommodate a 12” speaker.
At that time, in the UK, weren’t the most popular speakers the celestion green backs?
My theory is that’s what went into pages supro.
What do you guys think?
https://suprousa.com/1695t-black-magick/

Supro presents: Black Magick, a recreation of one of Rock & Roll music’s holy-grail amplifiers. This all-tube, high-gain blues machine hearkens back to the dimensions, cosmetics and circuitry of the Supro amps from 1959, just like the one loaned by Jimmy Page to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Museum. In tribute to this legendary and extensively modified Supro combo, we’ve used the cabinet dimensions from a ‘59 Supro 2 x 10 and replaced the baffle with a 1 x 12 and armed this 25-watt combo, with a custom, British voiced speaker that was specially developed for the Black Magick amp.

Oinkus

That just rings every bell for me , Black Magick head with reverb and tremolo gee whiz. I just like that it has different power tubes. Ordered the Black Magick head today , at some point I will ramble about it endlessly.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried the Dual Tone and Black Magick? I’ve been very interested in the Black Magick since it was released but I’ve become curious about the 1624T and some of the demo’s are super impressive. I think i’m leaning towards the Dual Tone currently but curious to hear others thoughts and especially experiences

70' s Tone

Has anyone tried the Dual Tone and Black Magick? I’ve been very interested in the Black Magick since it was released but I’ve become curious about the 1624T and some of the demo’s are super impressive. I think i’m leaning towards the Dual Tone currently but curious to hear others thoughts and especially experiences
I own both and have been played each (Dual-Tone & Black Magick Combo- original offering) for about three years. Also own the Black Magick Reverb Head (very recent purchase) and Black Magick extension cabs, as well as several other SUPRO amps. They are all fantastic. First rate quality in every way imaginable.

Now, specific to your question. If all I could own was the SUPRO Dual-Tone, I would be one extremely happy camper. It was actually the very first SUPRO I purchased. It's a a great amp and delivers stellar tone and is loud enough for small clubs - easily. It comes close to delivering the same tone and dynamics as the Black Magick. I would suspect that not many people could tell the difference between the two. Hope this helps. And now for some pics...:D

Oinkus

Had issues ordering the amp and ran afoul of customer service and cancelled it. Oh well , would have been a nice addition but not required. Buy one used in a couple years most likely. Looks like you have your Supro fix covered quite well !

I own both and have been played each (Dual-Tone & Black Magick Combo- original offering) for about three years. Also own the Black Magick Reverb Head (very recent purchase) and Black Magick extension cabs, as well as several other SUPRO amps. They are all fantastic. First rate quality in every way imaginable.

Now, specific to your question. If all I could own was the SUPRO Dual-Tone, I would be one extremely happy camper. It was actually the very first SUPRO I purchased. It's a a great amp and delivers stellar tone and is loud enough for small clubs - easily. It comes close to delivering the same tone and dynamics as the Black Magick. I would suspect that not many people could tell the difference between the two. Hope this helps. And now for some pics...:D

Thank you

Smashies

Gold Supporting Member
Biz-ump!

Does anyone know of a good resource online or otherwise that deep-dives into the old Valco and Supro amps? I'm having trouble with a Google search coming up with anything other than listings for the reissues up for sale.

Tony-Cliffton

Biz-ump!

Does anyone know of a good resource online or otherwise that deep-dives into the old Valco and Supro amps? I'm having trouble with a Google search coming up with anything other than listings for the reissues up for sale.
Hey, my friend.
Eric ketterman, Of Dirty Girl IMO, is the way to go. Just talked to him today, in fact.
Eric is extreamly busy at the moment, with his day job.
However, he told me he would be back to building his amps (I own one, and it’s awesome) in the spring.
My advice, wait till spring and get something from Eric. You will not be disappointed. Awesome guy, builds a fantastic, meticulously crafted amp.
The other rout is terry dobbs, mr valco. Can’t do better than either of these guys. You will probably come in at a lower price point than the originals.
I can tell you, Eric has been great at answering questions, no matter how dumb, or what time of day, for me. Like I said, I messaged him today about a tube change. He answered within the hour. That’s when he told me he was taking a break, until spring. Hold your money, you will not be disappointed. Glad I got mine when I did!
Also, leonc on this forum is knows a lot about these amps. He builds a clone as well. Hit him up!

Smashies

Gold Supporting Member
Hey, my friend.
Eric ketterman, Of Dirty Girl Amos is the way to go. Just talked to him today, in fact.
Eric is extreamly busy at the moment, with his day job.
However, he told me he would be back to building his amps (I own one, and it’s awesome) in the spring.
My advice, wait till spring and get something from Eric. You will not be disappointed. Awesome guy, builds a fantastic, meticulously crafted amp.
The other rout is terry dobbs, mr valco. Can’t do better than either of these guys. You will probably come in at a lower price point than the originals.
I can tell you, Eric has been great at answering questions, no matter how dumb, or what time of day, for me. Like I said, I messaged him today about a tube change. He answered within the hour. That’s when he told me he was taking a break, until spring. Hold your money, you will not be disappointed. Glad I got mine when I did!
One step ahead of ya ;)

Picked this (1690T) up used from Sound Pure. Eric has been great to me too in responsiveness, for sure!

I guess I was looking for old brochures, published literature, etc. Hopefully I can find some source that can teach me things about Supro amps that I wouldn't think to ask about in the first place--something like a deeper dive than a wikipedia article.

I'll ask Eric too. If he gives me any leads on a written body of general Supro knowledge, I'll report back!

Tony-Cliffton

Dude! Sweet! In before the lock! Congrats.
My DG amp is awesome!
I hear ya about the google search.
Seems the “new owner” has his bases covered. It all links to the new stuff. Gotta be tricky in the search words. Hint... valco.

Smashies

Gold Supporting Member
One thing I need to ask Eric about is how much the 1958-inspired DGs with 4 inputs differ from the reissues that often have only 2 inputs, one being a "1 + 2" input.

That is, how much more flexibility is there in the 4-input repros when it comes to jumpering inputs. So far, I've only A/B'd two inputs at a time, but not with any inputs linked/jumpered.

There must be an appreciable difference, especially since there is a "treble" and a "normal" input for each channel on the DG I have.

Do the new/reissue Supro amps with two channels (one input per channel) make them more akin to a "normal" channel or a "treble" channel?

Visuals:

DG Coronado 1690T:

2 channels
1 vol control per channel
2 inputs per channel: normal and treble
Tremolo only on channel 2
No standby switch

Vs new Coronado 1690T:

2 channels
1 vol control per channel (same as above)
1 input per channel (1st input being linked to both channels--do they sound "normal" or "treble"?)
1 tone knob per channel (different)
Tremolo I believe only goes to channel 2. Same as above.
Incl standby switch (different)

Tony-Cliffton

One thing I need to ask Eric about is how much the 1958-inspired DGs with 4 inputs differ from the reissues that often have only 2 inputs, one being a "1 + 2" input.

That is, how much more flexibility is there in the 4-input repros when it comes to jumpering inputs. So far, I've only A/B'd two inputs at a time, but not with any inputs linked/jumpered.

There must be an appreciable difference, especially since there is a "treble" and a "normal" input for each channel on the DG I have.

Do the new/reissue Supro amps with two channels (one input per channel) make them more akin to a "normal" channel or a "treble" channel?

Visuals:

DG Coronado 1690T:

2 channels
1 vol control per channel
2 inputs per channel: normal and treble
Tremolo only on channel 2

Vs new Coronado 1690T:

2 channels
1 vol control per channel (same as above)
1 input per channel (1st input being linked to both channels--do they sound "normal" or "treble"?)
1 tone knob per channel (different)
Tremolo I believe only goes to channel 2. Same as above.

Mine is a 1624t... BUT, it will do the 6v6g’s, as well as the 6793/6cz5 ( I have 6cz5’s in it now)
I usually run into the “low” input, then jumper to the high. This gives a more ... how do I say??? Mellow thing, that works great for pedals, as well as strait in. It’s mostly how I play it.
This is different from Marshall amps where the high input is preferred when going direct. With the supro amps, even when going direct, that low input is best, IMO. The “mic” input sounds a bit anemic, when going direct, and sucks with pedals, IMO. I’m pretty sure the new ones are a “take” on that philosophy... but, who knows? I only know what sounds good to my ears. Not sure if that helps?
My amp has only one tone, and two vols. I usually have the norm vol up higher than the mic.

Smashies

Gold Supporting Member
Mine is a 1624t... BUT, it will do the 6v6g’s, as well as the 6793/6cz5 ( I have 6cz5’s in it now)
I usually run into the “low” input, then jumper to the high. This gives a more ... how do I say??? Mellow thing, that works great for pedals, as well as strait in. It’s mostly how I play it.
This is different from Marshall amps where the high input is preferred when going direct. With the supro amps, even when going direct, that low input is best, IMO. The “mic” input sounds a bit anemic, when going direct, and sucks with pedals, IMO. I’m pretty sure the new ones are a “take” on that philosophy... but, who knows? I only know what sounds good to my ears. Not sure if that helps?
My amp has only one tone, and two vols. I usually have the norm vol up higher than the mic.
Word! So, on your amp, how are your channels and inputs labelled? It sounds like they're different from mine.

Going left to right: I've got "channel no. 1" that bifurcates to two inputs, treble and regular (earlier I spoke of them as "normal" inputs). Then "channel no. 2" to, again, treble and regular inputs.

If you've got 4 input jacks, how are they labelled? You speak of "low/high"...is that referring to the two channels (with each channel having a "normal/regular" and a "mic" input)?

A visual would help if you get the chance. Thanks!

Trending Topics