The SUPRO Amp Appreciation Thread - Vintage and New

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 70' s Tone, Jul 15, 2018.

1. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

I own both and have been played each (Dual-Tone & Black Magick Combo- original offering) for about three years. Also own the Black Magick Reverb Head (very recent purchase) and Black Magick extension cabs, as well as several other SUPRO amps. They are all fantastic. First rate quality in every way imaginable.

Now, specific to your question. If all I could own was the SUPRO Dual-Tone, I would be one extremely happy camper. It was actually the very first SUPRO I purchased. It's a a great amp and delivers stellar tone and is loud enough for small clubs - easily. It comes close to delivering the same tone and dynamics as the Black Magick. I would suspect that not many people could tell the difference between the two. Hope this helps. And now for some pics...:D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JumpinBradFlash likes this.
  2. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Congrats on your purchase. It's a superb amp. Let us know how much you love it.

3. Oinkus

Oinkus Member

Had issues ordering the amp and ran afoul of customer service and cancelled it. Oh well , would have been a nice addition but not required. Buy one used in a couple years most likely. Looks like you have your Supro fix covered quite well !

4. JumpinBradFlash

JumpinBradFlash Member

Thank you

5. Serdontos

Serdontos Member

1947 National 1215 and a 1959 Supro 1695T

[​IMG]

MoarGear, VA_siCkBoy, Rumble5 and 3 others like this.
  6. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Vintage greatness!
    SWEEEEET
    Thanks for posting!

Serdontos likes this.
  7. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

I'm loving my Saturn Reverb.
    It's a 15 watt tone monster.
    The tube rectifier is what makes it so good. ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JJO, mdb74 and JumpinBradFlash like this.
  8. Smashies

Smashies Silver Supporting Member

Biz-ump!

Does anyone know of a good resource online or otherwise that deep-dives into the old Valco and Supro amps? I'm having trouble with a Google search coming up with anything other than listings for the reissues up for sale.

9. Tony-Cliffton

Tony-Cliffton Member

Hey, my friend.
    Eric ketterman, Of Dirty Girl IMO, is the way to go. Just talked to him today, in fact.
    Eric is extreamly busy at the moment, with his day job.
    However, he told me he would be back to building his amps (I own one, and it’s awesome) in the spring.
    My advice, wait till spring and get something from Eric. You will not be disappointed. Awesome guy, builds a fantastic, meticulously crafted amp.
    The other rout is terry dobbs, mr valco. Can’t do better than either of these guys. You will probably come in at a lower price point than the originals.
    I can tell you, Eric has been great at answering questions, no matter how dumb, or what time of day, for me. Like I said, I messaged him today about a tube change. He answered within the hour. That’s when he told me he was taking a break, until spring. Hold your money, you will not be disappointed. Glad I got mine when I did!
    Also, leonc on this forum is knows a lot about these amps. He builds a clone as well. Hit him up!

JumpinBradFlash and Smashies like this.
  10. Smashies

One step ahead of ya ;)

[​IMG]

Picked this (1690T) up used from Sound Pure. Eric has been great to me too in responsiveness, for sure!

I guess I was looking for old brochures, published literature, etc. Hopefully I can find some source that can teach me things about Supro amps that I wouldn't think to ask about in the first place--something like a deeper dive than a wikipedia article.

I'll ask Eric too. If he gives me any leads on a written body of general Supro knowledge, I'll report back!

70' s Tone and Tony-Cliffton like this.
  11. Tony-Cliffton

Tony-Cliffton Member

Dude! Sweet! In before the lock! Congrats.
    My DG amp is awesome!
    I hear ya about the google search.
    Seems the “new owner” has his bases covered. It all links to the new stuff. Gotta be tricky in the search words. Hint... valco.

Smashies likes this.
  12. Smashies

One thing I need to ask Eric about is how much the 1958-inspired DGs with 4 inputs differ from the reissues that often have only 2 inputs, one being a "1 + 2" input.

That is, how much more flexibility is there in the 4-input repros when it comes to jumpering inputs. So far, I've only A/B'd two inputs at a time, but not with any inputs linked/jumpered.

There must be an appreciable difference, especially since there is a "treble" and a "normal" input for each channel on the DG I have.

Do the new/reissue Supro amps with two channels (one input per channel) make them more akin to a "normal" channel or a "treble" channel?

Visuals:

DG Coronado 1690T:

2 channels
    1 vol control per channel
    2 inputs per channel: normal and treble
    Tremolo only on channel 2
    No standby switch

[​IMG]

Vs new Coronado 1690T:

2 channels
    1 vol control per channel (same as above)
    1 input per channel (1st input being linked to both channels--do they sound "normal" or "treble"?)
    1 tone knob per channel (different)
    Tremolo I believe only goes to channel 2. Same as above.
    Incl standby switch (different)

[​IMG]

13. Tony-Cliffton

Tony-Cliffton Member

Mine is a 1624t... BUT, it will do the 6v6g’s, as well as the 6793/6cz5 ( I have 6cz5’s in it now)
    I usually run into the “low” input, then jumper to the high. This gives a more ... how do I say??? Mellow thing, that works great for pedals, as well as strait in. It’s mostly how I play it.
    This is different from Marshall amps where the high input is preferred when going direct. With the supro amps, even when going direct, that low input is best, IMO. The “mic” input sounds a bit anemic, when going direct, and sucks with pedals, IMO. I’m pretty sure the new ones are a “take” on that philosophy... but, who knows? I only know what sounds good to my ears. Not sure if that helps?
    My amp has only one tone, and two vols. I usually have the norm vol up higher than the mic.

Smashies likes this.
  14. Deadicated

Deadicated Member

[​IMG]
    Here's my piece of Supro history. All original '47 supreme. It's the one I'll probably never let go.

ldizzle, MoarGear, michael.e and 6 others like this.
  15. Smashies

Word! So, on your amp, how are your channels and inputs labelled? It sounds like they're different from mine.

Going left to right: I've got "channel no. 1" that bifurcates to two inputs, treble and regular (earlier I spoke of them as "normal" inputs). Then "channel no. 2" to, again, treble and regular inputs.

If you've got 4 input jacks, how are they labelled? You speak of "low/high"...is that referring to the two channels (with each channel having a "normal/regular" and a "mic" input)?

A visual would help if you get the chance. Thanks!

Tony-Cliffton likes this.
  16. Muzzy

Muzzy Supporting Member

I should be getting my new, old amp today. A 1962 Gretsch 6157 Electromatic. Same amp as the Supro 1605. Two 6973's in an octal chassis and a 10" Jensen. It will make a good addition to my collection.

17. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Member

The reissues are pretty different amps overall, with major changes to the phase inverter design, preamp, etc. They're pretty much entirely different amps, although they sound good and are cool. I recommend them to "regular" people often (regular meaning not amp geeks looking to get into vintage)

Old supros have a capacitive input and a resistive input, rather than the fender trick of a high and low input split through different values of resistance.

Valco as a company just didn't document this stuff. If your amp company could order a minimum order, they would make amps for you. They tried things all over the place, and the amps vary.

You can basically divide it up into the "Postwar" square rounded box octal tube amps (the ones that look "retro" or whatever that is), followed by the 6v6 amps in the same cabs, to the more familiar rectangular cab with large white stripes, a stepdown control panel and 6v6, then the 6973 era, then white stripe but "normal" chassis cutout, the rhino hide era which has some changes - speakers went from rola to jensen somewhere in there, and finally the ending era with colored tolex. They did some earlier colored tolex, but most of the red, blue or black ones are '65-'68.

For the other brands, you find similar features and cosmetics but slightly different, and you can find circuit changes. I have a '63 Vega 16624 circuit that looks like a rhino hide amp, but it has a two tone blue tolex instead.

ThinPaperWings likes this.
  18. darkwaters

darkwaters Member

That's my '59 Supro Super 1606 in my avatar. I'm a fan of cleans, so I replaced the 12ax7 with a 12ay7. A very sweet sounding little practice amp.

19. ifallalot

ifallalot Supporting Member

I have the big brother Statesman head that can do a lot of the same tricks with the reverbed signal. You can get a really surfy sound out of it

Here's a quick video I made, in the room it was actually cleaner but I was blowing up the front end of my daughter's iPad that I was recording with.

70' s Tone likes this.
  20. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Absolutely Beautiful. An important part of history. Thanks for sharing.