The SUPRO Amp Appreciation Thread - Vintage and New

calfzilla

Cynical Hack
I just purchased a reissue Supreme on Reverb and should be picking it up tomorrow... Anyone have any experiences with this thing? The demos sound great.

stratjim

Picked up a 2016 Supro Royal Reverb a few months ago and am really loving it. It became my number one instantly (and in keeping with 'thinning the herd' sold my Katana 50)I put a Full-Drive 2 mosfet in front of it and it kills.
Also it pairs up quite well with my 1966 Supro Royal Reverb, I've owned since 1971.
yeh, that's right...2 Royal Reverbs, 50 years apart in age (yeh, i know, they're totally different amps but I love the optics)

petty1818

I am still very interested in either the tremo-verb, comet or statesman. I haven't come across the Statesman yet though. I want to see how loud it is. Some say it's very loud and others say it's manageable. I currently own a Carr Sportsman so I feel as though the Comet might be a bit redundant but that amp just sounds killer.

Teleking

Supporting Member
I've owned 3 Dirty Girl amps (before they were Dirty Girl) and still own 2. Eric knows what he's doing. My Supro clone is the best amp I have, but it's just a shade too loud for where I was playing, but now I'm in a town to turn it up, and I cannot wait.

Turn these things up, and it's the best overdriven sound I've encountered. I highly recommend Eric's amps.

michael.e

Supporting Member
Ok...
2 niggles...
Jupiter:
Biased COLD and not adjustable.
Baffle has a cross brace in front of the speaker. I can't mic the cone straight on. Grr

Last edited:

michael.e

Supporting Member
Here is a piece I am working on. I mic'ed the Jupiter in front and back. Direct parallel line between mic's and it DOES make a difference! Pigtail SG and BAE Hot Fuzz..

e???

Picked up a 2016 Supro Royal Reverb a few months ago and am really loving it. It became my number one instantly (and in keeping with 'thinning the herd' sold my Katana 50)I put a Full-Drive 2 mosfet in front of it and it kills.
Also it pairs up quite well with my 1966 Supro Royal Reverb, I've owned since 1971.
yeh, that's right...2 Royal Reverbs, 50 years apart in age (yeh, i know, they're totally different amps but I love the optics)
Congrats! The two amps 50 years apart is pretty cool, how do they sound different? Clean and dirty?

ldizzle

Supporting Member
I have a rhythm master RI incoming. Like stated earlier in the thread- the first one I've owned is the tremoverb from the special... but it's stupid good and records verrrry well. I've also recorded the duo tone and BM with excellent results..

In a room full of Bogners, Morgans, vintage Fenders... these little Supros are making me ponder selling some things.

Having 10" speaker and 15" speaker options is going to be really cool.

70' s Tone

I just picked up this Jupiter from 2016 last week. Absolutely perfect for my band needs and it does not sound boxy or small. Really happy with this rig!
Congrats - enjoy it. I love mine. The 12" hemp cone really delivers some sweet tones.

Congrats - enjoy it (2016 Supro Royal Reverb). I have one and it delivers.

I am still very interested in either the tremo-verb, comet or statesman. I haven't come across the Statesman yet though. I want to see how loud it is. Some say it's very loud and others say it's manageable. I currently own a Carr Sportsman so I feel as though the Comet might be a bit redundant but that amp just sounds killer.
The Statesman has plenty of volume. The two channels make it a very versatile amp, especially when using the effects loop as a master volume for the blue channel. I love mine.

I have a rhythm master RI incoming. Like stated earlier in the thread- the first one I've owned is the tremoverb from the special... but it's stupid good and records verrrry well. I've also recorded the duo tone and BM with excellent results..

In a room full of Bogners, Morgans, vintage Fenders... these little Supros are making me ponder selling some things.

Having 10" speaker and 15" speaker options is going to be really cool.
The 15" speaker is very articulate. Have one in my Supro Thunderbolt. It's great.

ldizzle

Supporting Member
I played the rhythm master for about 10 hours this weekend live in stereo with my Bogner... It really sounds like a very good late tweed bassman to me and FoH loved it. Real tight and just the good mid frequencies without being honky.
I get a black magick in this week- should be real cool!

Really impressed with this line...

MoarGear

H

hes on a bit of a break from building. His day job has him pretty busy I guess. I talked with him a couple weeks ago. I know how the day job thing goes. Tough to manage sometimes.
I'm pleased to hear it. I've been wanting one of his Supros, but I'm in no real rush. Thanks for the update.

tccc1015

I'm a Vox and Hiwatt fan and have long preferred those type of clean sounds. A couple years ago, however, I got quite an itch to explore some different flavors, and bought a Dusky D20 head and Supro Thunderbolt+. I love clean headroom and the Thunderbolt+ actually has plenty, but I really dug the cranked sound. Great 'alternate' clean for me and the drive is just killer. Nice thump with that 15" speaker. Lots to explore on this amp with the hi and low inputs and 3 rectifier/wattage settings. The rectifier settings don't make a radical difference, mostly I hear more compression on the 35 watt tube rectifier setting and a stiff response on the 60 watt solid state setting.

A couple years ago I grabbed a Titan when Sweetwater was blowing them out/discontinuing them. For $800(ish) for a small 50 watt (!) tube combo with reverb and trem I couldn't resist. It's a different flavor from the Thunderbolt+, the drive is more chimey and less ragged, and it (obviously) has a different EQ profile partly due to the differences in cabinet and speaker. The hemp cone is interesting; the way it smooths drives is really wonderful but sometimes I miss the top end and the cut that brings. I'm not crazy about the reverb but it's usable for me at lower settings.

It looks like there is going to be a somewhat regular cycle of some models being discontinued and blown out. This Black Friday the regular Thunderbolt was going for $649. I'm glad some here are getting some great deals.

Brand new to site. Just ordered Thunderbolt MK2 demo for $584 from SW. Talk about blowout! Did I need it? NO! I already have a Jupiter, which I love. As an aside, I also ordered the EHX Switchblade AB box to run them both. Did I need that? Hells YES! Haha! Love this site and my Supros. T-bolt arrives today. I'll keep everyone posted.

Brand new to site. Just ordered Thunderbolt MK2 demo for $584 from SW. Talk about blowout! Did I need it? NO! I already have a Jupiter, which I love. As an aside, I also ordered the EHX Switchblade AB box to run them both. Did I need that? Hells YES! Haha! Love this site and my Supros. T-bolt arrives today. I'll keep everyone posted.
Welcome to TGP :confused:. That's a crazy good deal for what seems to be sort of a new model. (I actually don't know how long the Thunderbolt MK II has been out, though.). Let us know how it sounds :D.

tccc1015

Welcome to TGP :confused:. That's a crazy good deal for what seems to be sort of a new model. (I actually don't know how long the Thunderbolt MK II has been out, though.). Let us know how it sounds :D.
Rec'd item today. Was sent a Statesman ext cab by mistake. SW sending brand new Thunderbolt instead of demo. All for $585. With NJ tax it's $623. Wowza. Talk about customer service. Will keep everyone posted on sound.

Slight detour, but I’m interested in speaker recommendations for a Valclone 1624T. Leon suggested a Celestion G12H30W would be a good option and based on that, it is the preferred option. But I thought I would see if there are some alternative opinions and experiences with other speakers

Trending Topics