The switching on the Nova Delay is bothering me...should I be saving for Timefactor?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TimH, Jan 9, 2008.

1. TimH

TimH Member

So I've made a resolution not to sell of gear anymore. However, I'm finding it highly annoying to hit both buttons on the Nova and try to hit the next button to switch patches. Right now I'm just dealing with it but I'm wondering if I'm not going to continue to disklike this more and more.

I'm wondering if I should be saving some money to get a Timefactor instead? How easy are the presets to switch between? Does the TF save your tempos to the patch or are they globally set like on the Nova?

2. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I can't really help you with the TF questions, because I've never tried it.
    But,
    I like to comment that I too am not a fan of the Nova switching. Which is also why I still favor the DD-20 if it came down to choosing one over the other.

I'm curious on the TF as well...

3. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

I have a TF but have not played the Nova. Short answer: the TF's presets are fairly easy to switch between, and tempos can either be saved on a per-patch basis or set globally.

Long answer: presets on the TF are arranged in 10 banks of 2 presets each (20 total). Preset switching is done with three buttons - one to change banks and two to select patches within each bank. So it's typically a one-stomp process to select new preset, unless you're changing banks. Then it's maybe two stomps.

The only thing that's a bummer is that the bank increment button can only increase (not decrease) the bank number. So if you are trying to switch from bank 1 to bank 2, but overshoot and end up in bank 3, you have to stomp all the way through the 10 banks to come back around to bank 2.

A partial fix for this is that you can "inactivate" any number of banks, so if you typically just use 6 presets, save them in banks 1-3, inactivate banks 4-10, and then you just have three banks to cycle through. You can always reactivate the inactive banks if needed.

Overall it's pretty easy to use, and it sounds great. I love the TF. Hope that helps.

4. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

Adding to what bkd said, you can use an external switch or switches with the TF. I have a digitech fs-300 that I'm using like this:

TF--
    1. Preset 1
    2. Preset 2
    3. Bank Up

FS-300
    1. Bypass
    2. Infinite Repeat/Sound on sound
    3. Tap Tempo

You can set any of the footswitches to any task including:
    Bank Up
    Bank Down
    Tap Tempo
    Bypass
    Preset selection
    Knob selection (you can have feedback go from 1 to 50 repeats or mix from 25% to 62%--just random examples, but any parameter is available).

I would suggest you download the manual, it is quite detailed as to what you can do with it. It is available on the eventide site.

5. TimH

TimH Member

great thoughts so far...anyone else have an opinion?

6. BTBAM

BTBAM Member

I had the nova and sold it for the timefactor. To me...the nova seemed like kid's stuff compared to what you can get out of the timefactor. I really dont see a reason not too.

7. TimH

TimH Member

Only one reason $$$ :crazy :crazy :crazy

8. Sandro

Sandro Member

I was wondering if you can use the G-minor midi footswitch or Tech 21 Midi Mouse, with the TF anybody try it?

Sandro

9. sandman

sandman Member

Get a good ol' DL4/DD20 or wait and save for Empress delay - now, that looks like well thought out pedal.

10. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

I'd add that you can get a digitech FS300 and set one of the switches for bank decrease. I do this. I keep the three switches on the TF stock, and then set eh FS 300 for tap, instant parameter level shift (usually mix ) and bank decrease. Add expression pedal for feedback or modulation, and there's a lot you can do easily.

11. Maven

Maven Supporting Member

So, let me get this straight: On the Nova Delay you have to have a global tempo across all the patches? That seems odd. Whats the point of having presets if you can't have different tempos set?

12. TimH

TimH Member

I think you can have either preset times or global tap time...not both. With a tap switch on the eventide you can have both...I think.

13. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

+1

In fact...

+2 with the new software version.

Oh, what the hell...

+3 because you can have a new software version with the TimeFactor!

14. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

The Timefactor delay is allot of delay. I found it frustrating and to use it for what I was looking to do, I ultimately decided to just keep my TC VIntage delay, and look to buy an analog delay to pair with the digital. Although I am not in a hurry to do that.

If you have a delay currently with a chorus, and do not have a need for ping pong / reverse or the nat's a$$ control over your delay you may want to look for another option.

I think its an innovative pedal, and great for what it is. However, there is allot there I would personally never use.

15. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

If anyone wants to get rid of their lowly Nova, please email me. ;)

16. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

I like the suggestions above using the FS-300. I'm going to be using my TF as part of a MIDI setup controlled by Axess Electronics gear, so the preset changes will all be done by MIDI - the only time I'll be stomping directly on the TF is for tap tempo.