The technique to get the "big room" guitar sound in a small room

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by ari, Dec 9, 2005.

1. ari

ari Member

I recall reading an article about using a wooden board or something in front of amp speakers, place it at an angle and mic-ing the reflection off of that to simulate the sound of a guitar amp in a big room.

Does anybody know what I'm talking about? Anybody has a link to this article? Thanks!

ari

2. E-Rock

E-Rock Member

The first rule of recording is... THERE ARE NO RULES!!
    sorry... I love saying that :)

Sure, try that! You may end up with some phase problems but it may be just the ticket!
    You could try a really tight double tracking, pan hard left and right.
    Or maybe a slap-back echo.
    Or, put a 57 on the speaker, straight up mono. Then, put another mic (omni maybe) as far back as you can get it, maybe up in the corner.
    Then, send the distant mic to a verb, or just delay that mic by 40-100 ms.

Fun stuff. Good luck!!!

3. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

You can try two sm57s instead of just one.

4. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

I believe that article was concerning Warren Haynes on the latest mule album.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0HEO/is_11_28/ai_n6220545

5. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Just try putting one SM57 on the speaker and then another right by it facing in the other direction. . .like towards the wall. You can track both at the same time and blend the reflected sound into the original close mic'd sound to get the effect you're looking for.

Caveat. . .this works if you're in a small room and you're running a tube amplifier pretty loud. If you're not running hot enough, the mic facing the wall might not get enough sound with a SM57. Also, the further away the wall is from the amp, the longer the delay, thus, you get away from the effect and end up with a different effect. Come to think of it. . .It might be pretty cool. Give it a shot.

Good luck!

6. elambo

elambo Member

Use a Big Room reverb.

7. trisonic

trisonic Member

If you are able to use some volume direct a Mic facing into the farthest corner of the room away from the amp - quite close into the corner. That was used a lot to record the Brit Blues stuff in the '60's.

Best, Pete.

8. ari

ari Member

Yes, that's the technique I was talking about, though that's not the article I was thinking about. I just remember reading an article (it was in EQ or MIX or Electronic Musician or something else) that described this idea of putting up a board in front of a speaker in an angle and pointing a mic toward it. It was one of those how-to articles that described more of the details.

Oh well, thanks for the link. At the very least, this confirms that it's a technique worth exploring.

ari

9. chrisgraff

chrisgraff Member

Mark Hudson (Aerosmith producer) described to me one of the methods he used to record a particular amp:

"I stretched the cable as far as it would go, and pointed the mic at the noise."

Go figure. :RoCkIn

10. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Yup.

After all, you did say you're "in a small room."

11. blueclay

blueclay Member

I have had some very good success by putting my boogie in a closet full of cloths and coats and putting the mic on the far side of the closet and closing the door--I use a Rodes tube mic and a '57 and crank it keep the attenuation down and fader at unity--bring up attenuation to give max record volume but dont red line--make sure your amp tone sounds good in your headset and adjust to taste====good luck==and play well

12. playon

playon Supporting Member

Put the first mic on the grill cloth near the edge of the speaker. Put a second mic at the other end of the room from your amp, pointing at the wall. Mix to taste. You could try adding some compression to the distant mic.