• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

The Tele quest begins

adnan76

I've been playing a Les Paul for the past 18 months (basically my entire guitar playing life) and I think I want to add a Telecaster. I've played a few and am looking for some advice.

I probably will buy used and don't want to spend over $600... what are my best options? I've seen some used American ones (on this site) for around that price, and also a Baja, and some Highway series. Thoughts?

Also a question about frets: I played a MIM tele in the store (around $650) with really small frets- is this was Fender calls "vintage frets"? Felt comfortable on slides, but a little tougher on bends. What are the advantages of smaller frets?

Any thoughts, advice, and opinions would be appreciated!
thanks in advance!

sinner

Only 18 months and already decided on a Tele? You're way ahead of the curve, very smart decision!

I'd look at those new Fender MIM Roadworn Teles, I've heard many get a $750 deal. They have modern radius specs (9.5") bend easier and play & sound great! Go to the store, get all they have in stock, play them all and choice the one that you like best.

Now if you could get more of a budget...Danocaster!

cheetah77

Only 18 months and already decided on a Tele? You're way ahead of the curve, very smart decision!

I'd look at those new Fender MIM Roadworn Teles, I've heard many get a $750 deal. They have modern radius specs (9.5") bend easier and play & sound great! Go to the store, get all they have in stock, play them all and choice the one that you like best.

And of course +1 on a Danocaster if you have the dough.

EataPeach

I like 'Fender'..But they arent what they should be..
G&L is IMO. Once I tried one,I never went back to 'Fender'. Mr. Fender got it even better the second time around.Additonally I think G&L has better QA etc...Even the Tribute series is excellant.
I recently bought my third G&L guitar the necks are incredible,the sound is versitile, in every one I have ever tried/owned. I cant say that about 'Fenders'. As its been said here regarding "Fender' guitars.."try a bunch"...I dont see that said about G&L's.

I'm not knocking Fender..I like them alot. But with you'll get alot more for your $ with G&L.
Make sure you try both if you can.

Good luck

jimmyj

I bought a used MIM Muddy Waters tele for about $400 a few years ago. It compares favorably with the AVRI thinskin '55 I just bought recently. The Muddy has modern frets and 9.5 radius neck, RW fretboard on an ash body with the 3 brass saddle bridge. The only downside was that it's only made in Candy Apple Red. I didn't really want red but have discovered that it looks excellent on stage.

The Muddy is one of Fenders best bang for the buck teles, IMO.

buddaman71

Student of Life
Gold Supporting Member
If you can't swing a SC Relic Nocaster, the Road Worn Tele is killer.

Less finish adds meat and fullnes to the tone that I NEVER hear in the glossy Teles, even the ones costing $$$.

teamdelfano

i second the G&L asat. i remember getting a good cherry sunburst w/ maple neck for $475 back a few years ago.

stupid me, i sold it.

I recently bought my third G&L guitar the necks are incredible,the sound is versitile, in every one I have ever tried/owned. I cant say that about 'Fenders'. As its been said here regarding "Fender' guitars.."try a bunch"...I dont see that said about G&L's.
I've got 5 G + Ls of which 2 are ASAT Classics. But I do say about them "try a bunch".
You're talking used, in some cases barely used, but they do differ guitar to guitar also era to era as the basic neck construction process has been radically altered. I personally like the last few years of the "Bi-Cut" production while others like the new ones and still other like the thin necked earlier guitars from before BBE.

Fender's price increase IMO has driven up the cost on USA G + L ASATs and especially ASAT Classics in the used market, from the anecdotal evidence I've seen. $ 600 will get you a nice player, maybe not pristine, and it will take longer than it would have 1 year ago to find the right one.
Longer still if you hold out for a hard G + L case, etc.

My girlfriend's brother went behind me and paid a lot for a G + L Tribute. We've decided not to talk about it in the family.

If you want new, check out this "discontinued" ash MIM Standard FSR with the nice Tex Mex pickups. $ 449.00 plus any promo discount you can get at GC/MF:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Ash-Standard-Tele?sku=517885

Because it is "discontinued" the price increase never applied and the new MAP rules IMO don't apply either. Pick and choose if you can, the appearance of the body wood can be beautiful or can be "an acquired taste".

These can be heavy but the Tributes are more often heavy.

brockburst

Its likely not the frets, more the neck radius. Wider frets make the bends a little easier, but really a flatter radius will make more of a difference. You want the best instrument for 600 bucks? Or do you want to pay for what fender thinks 600 bucks is worth. I would buy a used MIM tele in a color you like for 300 bucks. Upgrade the pickups, get a RS electronic modern kit, upgrade the tuners and get a bone nut and setup. All that should run you 300, and you will have an instrument that would be better than a deluxe. Its not until you get into the $1500-2000 range where it will start to make a difference, so for 600 bucks, that will destroy a used american fender by leaps and bounds, and hold its value well. It won't appreciate, but no american or mexican standard would anyway.

Food for thought.

brockburst

Don't get a roadworn, its a mexican strat at 2x prices. The parts still suck. Fender just discovered a way to sell extra parts, inventory, blems, and repair necks. Distress the finish and what do you have, a brand new, irregular guitar. Congrats.

Be Smart about it.

AshlandBump

I bought a used MIM Muddy Waters tele for about $400 a few years ago. It compares favorably with the AVRI thinskin '55 I just bought recently. The Muddy has modern frets and 9.5 radius neck, RW fretboard on an ash body with the 3 brass saddle bridge. The only downside was that it's only made in Candy Apple Red. I didn't really want red but have discovered that it looks excellent on stage.

The Muddy is one of Fenders best bang for the buck teles, IMO.
+1 all around. I bought a 2004 Muddy Waters Telecaster three years ago for $400 and it's a great Telecaster -- I prefer it to the two MIA Teles I've owned.

adnan76

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I decided to go with one of the custom thin skin Tele's... should be coming in soon!
Can anyone recommend a place where I can get a P-90 style installed at the neck position?
thanks

gsh1968

I'd look at those new Fender MIM Roadworn Teles, I've heard many get a $750 deal. They have modern radius specs (9.5") bend easier and play & sound great!
The Road Worn have vintage radius - 7.25" fingerboard - but taller frets.

JefeMaximo

Huge Member
I LOVE my thinkskin double-bound tele ('62 reissue). Did you find a thinskin within your original stated budget?

Trending Topics