The Telecaster is the Best Guitar [TM]

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Mewcenary, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

I agree with TS- Tele is the best and most versatile guitar.

2. merriweather69

merriweather69 Member

I love tele's but own mostly Gibson's and a Jazzmaster. I miss the tele I recently sold. For rock and roll try a Seymour Duncan Jerry Donahue in the bridge position or a broadcaster, Fender or SD, definitely covers the rock realm as well as other's .

3. guitarstar2005

guitarstar2005 Member

I have many guitars but I will say, 'If you can play an old Tele through a Deluxe with no tricks and sound great- you can play'.

4. aaronblues

aaronblues Supporting Member

i'm not even gonna bother reading any of this thread. just going to agree with the title declaration.

cheers

5. MORE BARN

MORE BARN Member

I do like Teles, great instruments, but ultimately that Fender sound just isn't me. I will say the one I owned did make me play better, in that I seemed to go from playing music to learning how to play the guitar.

It was a great guitar in a two guitar band also. It's just that every recording I heard of myself playing one, there was this inherent "clank" in the sound that I didn't like. I know I had a vanilla one and not a real top-end one with that 'woody' tone, but still, there were other things; I fought with the stiff action and although the tone and selector were better for me than Strats, I still didn't like the location.

Went guitar shopping with a friend of mine last weekend, he is looking for a Fender and we played them all day, and I found a Tele AND a Strat I really liked, and was going to buy one...then I had them get me down a newer SG just to compare--and it was game over. I realized I have all I need with my two SG's, one P90 & one humbucker. For now at least, but I'm sure I'll succumb to a Fender one of these days.

6. bismark

bismark Member

"Best" is just an opinion, not shared by everyone.

7. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Member

On second thought, I was playing my Les Paul tonight and cranked up the treble a bit. The result was my ideal sound: Tele on steroids.

8. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

You know that some people are just going to have to get all serious about the OP...... :D

Guitars are cool....

Teles just happen to be the coolest.... ;)

I'm constantly amazed that so many guys get KILLER sounds and just tear it up on less perfect designs...Those are the real men right there!

9. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Member

Totally. All other guitars are for little girls. :Devil

10. rotlung

rotlung Member

A telecaster is no more "versatile" than any other guitar. You can use any guitar for any kind of music. This whole "versatility" comment people drag out for teles has absolutely no real basis. If anything, teles are much more limited than many other guitars, but that's part of their charm and appeal.

That being said, I only play telecasters because they have everything I need, nothing I don't, and they make me feel at home.

11. Telefunky

Telefunky Member

The Telecaster is the only guitar I know of that sounds 100% authentic at every gig, with every band, playing every style. That's why so many people feel it's the best. Tom Morello uses a Tele and last I checked, his band rocks pretty hard. Listen to his sound on "Killing In The Name Of" and tell me it doesn't melt your face off...

When guys mention the 'shrill' bridge pickup, I wonder if something else is amiss- maybe with their amp, cabinet, settings, or even technique. They're not all that easy to play.

It should have a nice jangly top-end, but it should really be in balance with the entire spectrum. With a great sounding Tele, the only way to make it sound bad involves operator error.

12. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Member

Try playing some Stevie Ray Vaughan on a Les Paul. Then play some SRV on a Tele and get back to me. ;)

13. GulfportBound

GulfportBound Member

So far, so good . . .

Says whom? And by what verifiable (accent on verifiable authority?

And people think the Strat fanbois can be obnoxious!

OK, here it is:

If you like a Telecaster, play a Telecaster.
    If you like a Stratocaster, play a Stratocaster.
    If you like a Les Paul, play a Les Paul.
    If you like a Gretsch, play a Gretsch.
    If you like a PRS, play a PRS.
    If you like a Rickenbacker, play a Rickenbacker.
    If you like an Ibanez, play an Ibanez.

Whatever guitar(s) you like, play them like you own them.

When you start telling me or anyone what we should play, or what we must play, or that we're not real guitar players if we can't or won't play a particular guitar, your credibility is blown higher than Hiroshima.

P.S. Fair disclosure: I play Les Pauls. I play nothing but Les Pauls. And I got to that point after trying numerous other guitars and finding them not quite there for what I was looking for to play the blues, then trying my first Les Paul and realising it was so there for what I was looking for that I now own three, with different pickup configurations, for different shades on the sound I finally developed, somehow.

Yes, among the other guitars I'd tried all those years were a few Telecasters. I get why people like them. I also get that I have the right to think what I thought of the Telecasters I tried out were---no great shakes, not for me. Good but not there for me.

But that doesn't mean I'm going to tell you that you're no real guitar player if you don't play a Les Paul. Nor does it mean I'll turn you away from an audition to join my band (well, I'm working on forming one, still) because you show up with your preferred guitar.

Play what you prefer. And play it like you feel it!

14. AuroraTide

AuroraTide Member

Give me a humbucker in the bridge and a twisted tele in the neck and I'm happy! Don't even miss the trem that much

15. Stringrazor

Stringrazor Member

Not for me. It's one of my least-favorite electrics.

16. Razorface

Razorface Senior Member

Everything YOU want it to.

But definitely not everything.

Therefore, you theory is flawed.

17. mike361

mike361 Member

Just got my first Tele recently, it's a US Tele special. Today I finally got to really play it for a couple of hours. I am really impressed and it is just what my stable needed. I have a strat, Les Paul, and a couple of humbucker equipped fender length guitars. It sounded great and and has its own thing going. The best ever, maybe, I sure had a great time with it today.

18. shane8

shane8 Member

maybe if they came with a Floyd :)

19. mschafft

mschafft Member

:horse

20. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

I really love my Tele and there are lots of sounds in there. Certainly more than the "twang" man people expect. But I don't know that it's any more/less versatile then most other guitars.

Peace,