The TGP Fishing Thread for 2015

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Hwoltage, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Hwoltage

Hwoltage Member

So how have we all been doing?! I have not been doing anything as I can't buy tags until May 29th due to a change in residency from Washington to Oregon. I did go out on a private pond Friday, hooked into some bass, but other than that I'm out of commission until early summer. So, to pass the time I have been teaching my sister, brother in law, and nephew. Went out Saturday, and wow. What a beautiful day.

Myself helping my BIL with a bird's nest

[​IMG]

No fish. Bad day, though. Condition were much better the day before!

Other photos from the fall/early winter, most taken by my sister (photographed with a nice crappie :)). It's been extremely dry and mild.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nephew with a nice Sunfish

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good times!!!

2. Dave Klausner

Dave Klausner Member

With all the wintery weather, my only fishing so far this year was down in Puerto Rico.

[​IMG]

3. CowTipton

CowTipton Silver Supporting Member

Soon, I typically don't get out until early April for spring walleye in Wisconsin.

4. greenhilander

greenhilander Member

Charter business starts up April 15th or so depending on the weather.
    GH

5. hogy

hogy Member

After years of fishing out of a kayak, I finally got a boat (again). There's some marsh calling me that's 15 miles from the next put-in spot. Too far for the kayak.

Took the boat out twice so far, got skunked both times...

I like the boat, I like riding around in it, don't know yet if I like fishing from it...

Same thing happened with my last boat. I just ended up using the kayak every time until I got tired of looking at the boat just sitting there. This time I have a specific purpose for it, so we'll see how it goes. If nothing else, I can use it to mothership the kayak to where I want to go and then paddle.

6. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

I went fishing with Stephen Colbert and my brother last year and we did awesome.. I caught a trophy Redfish fishing the inland waters and we went deep ( 1000 ft deep - off the continental drop) caught about 200 lbs of Dolphin fish

Besides building and playing gtrs - fishing is all that I wanna do !!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

soli528 likes this.
  7. Hwoltage

Hwoltage Member

And this is where you will find some GREAT water. Similar to myself and how I like to drag the kayak through the woods and blackberries to get to water others just don't have to motivation to reach. Around here there's enough water to keep most people content, to the point where I can drive 10 minutes from my house to a little stream, drag my kayak or pontoon in and fish BEAUTIFUL smallie water, not seeing another soul for the entire day. And I literally have 10 or 15 spots like that an hour max from my house, all available if you're willing to hump your gear in.

I love small craft fishing.

8. photoguy

photoguy Member

Waiting for the snow to melt. All cleaned up and ready to go.

[​IMG]

9. TeleBlack

TeleBlack Senior Member

OP, what's the story with the lake/reservoir that looks drained?

10. MoPho

MoPho International Man of Leisure Silver Supporting Member

Nice fish, Dano!

11. Hwoltage

Hwoltage Member

That looks like Colbert! Pretty cool!

12. Hwoltage

Hwoltage Member

This is Olalla Lake

[​IMG]

This is Green Peter Lake

[​IMG]

And this is Foster Lake

[​IMG]

:) These were taken in the fall/early winter. All are damned up reservoirs that they partially drain before snowmelt to manage the extra volume. But, as you can see, there's not a lot of snow so it should be an interesting summer. Skiing on Mt. Hood is closed down completely, from what I was told, and that's the meca for Oregon.

13. MustardCap

MustardCap Member

Beautiful Pics, but it kinda looks like a "Dying Area" Huge drought conditions in the PNW-- your pics definitely show that.. Wish we had the snow the NE got this year.
    On a happy note- we are going to Angoon Alaska later this year- self guided--- definitely post pics of our huge Hali's, Cod, etc--- pics only though- no free samples.

14. Hwoltage

Hwoltage Member

To be clear, we are having a drought, but all these lakes are drained to these levels every year. This year, it may not have been necessary. ;)

15. MustardCap

MustardCap Member

I know, I'm pretty close to the Columbia River where I live. Drain down in the Fall/Winter--- Question is though--- I'm not so sure it will fill up again by Summer? I don't think it will.

16. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

I love lake draw-downs.

Gives me a chance to run around and make notes of where all the fish "homes" are. ;)

If the lake stays down long enough, vegetation will start to grow on the exposed areas, and when the lake fills back up, it's a party!

17. Bob Longo

Bob Longo Gold Supporting Member

This thread is getting me excited for my annual Montana trip next week. A buddy has a cabin on the Bitterroot 2 hours south of Missoula. Conditions should be great as little snow fell this year and an early melt of what did fall. And the Skwala hatch is starting right now! 4 days in float boat!! Skwalapalooza!!
    I'll post pics when I return.

18. hogy

hogy Member

Ok, finally broke my bad luck streak for the year. Went back from the boat to the kayak, felt right at home, and things fell into place.

Three nice sized bass (4lb 1oz, 3lb 9oz and one 4 pounder released).

Or, as I call it, DINNER!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. BarkingTree

BarkingTree Member

Ahh!
    I hope to get on some water this year but I have been fighting terrible Tarsal tunnel, Pttd ankle problems, post traumatic arthritis..all the good stuff combined in my left.

Just picked up some line and a nice Orvis clicker for my 3 wt..LSI
    I cannot wait.
    I used to fish my lines in CO and wish I was there but well I have been back in WI for a long time and well have to see whats holding this year.

Anyway keep the awesome pics up..so I can be the vicarious fisherman.

Best..season to all.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  20. armadillo66

armadillo66 Member

I was in the Fly fishing shop in Salida yesterday, I want to hire a guide to do a pontoon float fish for me and a buddy on the Arkansas, cost about $200 each including tip. They catch 90% browns, you can keep 4 a day, rainbows are catch & release right now from what I understand, and there are good numbers of Snake RIver cutthroat in the Arkansas. The Collegiate mountains got a really good heavy snow last weekend, so water levels will be good on the Arkansas & feeder streams this coming month

all the small creeks here have brook trout and you can catch a bunch of them to eat.
    I am trying to find a good place to find some 2lb size rainbows to filet, brine & smoke
    also we can go snag kokanee salmon but you got to filet them and toss them into the brine as you catch them and get them home on the smoke as soon as possible or they are not as good to eat. Also suppose to be really good lake trout fishing and like the kokanee if you get them filet out and in brine quick, they smoke up nice

I really want to find a lake around southern Colorado that has good walleye in it, they are worth smoking up, supposedy the plains lakes out near Pueblo and other water reservoirs have walleye stocked.