The TGP Guitar Playing Journal

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Benz2112, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Benz2112

Benz2112 Member

I wanted to see if anyone was interested in sharing their playing habits, over a long or short term, whatever people are interested in doing. I thought it would interesting to see the cross section of players who spend more time writing, or performing with a band, or just try to challenge themselves to get better. Many of us have day jobs, family, etc, so seeing when people put in their playing time is cool too.

My first entry:
    Date: 12/5/18
    Time and duration:8-8:30
    Instrument(s) played: Eastman E10oo acoustic guitar
    Mainly was trying to get a little practice before work, while watching my 17 month old boy. Working on a composition, trying to transpose this melody up a step, coming together nicely. Also working on a small tapping section. My audience was pleased, he only grabbed for the headstock once.

2. Warlag

Warlag Member

This is interesting! Could be cool to see how people are practicing daily and doing what exactly. I’d say we might even be able to learn from each other doing this. Things that we might think are little and common to ourselves could be a big help to someone else’s practice routine and is something new to add to their arsenal of techniques. Things we overlook on our own playing could be someone else’s eye opener!
    Lately I’ve been practiceing for about an hour and a half to 2 hours each time. Usually twice a day. For about the first hour I keep practicing improvising since it’s something I need to improve. So I try to play steady as much as I can threw that hour and let myself just try and feel my playing and work on switching threw to different thechniques while trying to be original. It’s usually more of a blues style when I’m improvising. I like that feel.

Benz2112 likes this.
  3. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Pedal Trading Guru Silver Supporting Member

Time & duration: noon to 12:30

Instruments: Met up with my old drummer in a GC parking lot and traded guitars. :aok
    My 2016 Tribute Goldtop with Bigsby/Vibramate for his 2005 white Flying V loaded with Burstbuckers. :banana

grantaustin and Benz2112 like this.
  4. Jecht

Jecht Member

Love idea of the this thread. If it becomes more popular, I could see it being an incentive to keep practicing.

Date: 12/1/18

Time and Duration: 8:30 pm to 10:30 pm

Instruments: Ibanez Talman w/ Fender vintage pups

This was the first time meeting up with some guys who want to start a band and we began working on the first song we would like to learn. I'm frustrated that I haven't been able to play since then, but until today I haven't had any time because I've been moving to a new apartment.

Warlag and Benz2112 like this.
  5. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

Time and Duration: 7:45 to 7:50am

Instruments: Fender master built Tele with Floyd Rose

I got 5 minutes in of some speed runs up and down the neck and then had to run upstairs to walk my little guy to school. At this time of year, it is pretty much all I have! Madness....

6. Dale

Dale Member

12/05/2018

Spent time in home studio mapping out the arrangement for this years "tears" version. As the drums and bass are pre-determined the flow and style of the 4 verses is starting to take shape. Instruments: SG's (2), Mesa MK V, Mass and various DAW plugs.

7. tjontheroad

tjontheroad Silver Supporting Member

New Jersey... YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!
    12/5/18
    1 1/2 hours reviewing material for tonight’s rehearsal and subsequently Friday night’s gig.

8. Rick CD

Rick CD Member

Spent several hours today working on my 16th note (lack of) speed. With easier riffs I can go faster, but in general my comfort level where I’m not just sounding like a wanker is in the 80-95 bpm. I need a lot of work on this.

9. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

12 5
    945 to 10 20 pm. Worked out an altered line I had stuck in my head from Sonny Rollins I was listening to today. It turned out to be really basic. It was the rhythmic structure that made it sound so cool. I spent 10 minutes running it over backing tracks of tune up and body and soul.

10. No_Stairway

No_Stairway Supporting Member

I'll play as I need discipline in my practice to navigate the thin line of tolerate wife / annoyed wife.

12/5/18 6:30 - 7:15pm

Rig: Fender Raw American Special, Peavey Classic 20mh (clean), Classic 112e cab, Greer Black Tiger (delay) and a You Dirty Rat 1/2 way through pracrice.

This guitar is my first single coil (picked it up last week) and I'm venturing out into new realms so I started working on this 14 measure "Bakersfield Sound" piece from a premier guitar lesson. My first foray into twang. I got the first few measures down last night, completed learning it tonight, tonight (hanging out with my wife and acoustic) and tomorow practice session I'll work on perfecting it.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/28225-twang-101-the-bakersfield-sound

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  11. Benz2112

Benz2112 Member

Day 2
    12/6
    7:45-8:10
    Kirn Tele through my Helix/Powercab

I turned my delay speed to a dotted 1/8th, got a little grit going with the Mesa Lonestar model, and dug in with some tele bridge. The delay got me into a U2/The Cult vibe, came up with this double stop laden riff. I was definitely in the rock riff zone this morning.

Really cool getting some different responses here.

12. FFOGG

FFOGG Fat Frustated Old Guy w/ Gut Gold Supporting Member

This got me playing again after long hiatus my sons .....they -are 22 and 18 now I’m rocking in a band again

Benz2112 likes this.
  13. bloodninja

bloodninja Member

Back in September I decided that I'm going to practice 4 things, each for at least 15 minutes a day, for 100 days. Originally the goal was to miss no more than 5 days out of 100, but it became clear pretty quickly that would be impossible, so the goal is to do 100 days of practice in however long that takes. I started tracking on October 1st and since then I've hit 51 days, missed 16 days, and practiced for a total of 66 hours. I only count it if I do all 4 things for at least 15 minutes, so there are some days where I practiced one or two things but didn't record it. This time is 100% technique practice, so jamming, learning songs, noodling, etc., isn't included in this time, so my actual time playing would be at least double this.

middlechainringguy likes this.
  14. muzishun

muzishun Member

12-6-2018

6:53am - ?

Gotta go :D

:aok

Eddie 70 and Warlag like this.
  15. Jecht

Jecht Member

Day 2

12/5/2018

Time and Duration: 8:00 pm to 10:15 pm.

Instruments: Ibanez Talman w/ Fender vintage pups

I'm finally done moving and unpacking and met up with the guys to practice again. I need to improve more, but as a band we made real progress navigating the difficult time changes as it's in an odd time signature. Will have time to practice again tonight.

16. tjontheroad

tjontheroad Silver Supporting Member

New Jersey... YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!
    12/6

Learned 9 new tunes for next two gigs. Easy stuff.

17. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

Working on Footprints. The scales, arps I know in Cm, Bb, and Eb. Short, frequent sessions lately. Just finished about 30 minutes, guitar is next to me and will get another 30 or so tonight.

18. Benz2112

Benz2112 Member

12/6 pt2
    7:45-8:20pm
    Kiesel Sh550 and Recording King lap steel
    Just unwinding with some ambient clean sounds, kind of aimless noodling. Picked up the steel, have it tuned to E, lowered the G# to a G, turned on a leslie sound, and had some spooky textures going.

19. No_Stairway

No_Stairway Supporting Member

20. Mark White

Mark White Member

Last two days:

6th Dec
    Technique (45 mins):
    5 mins chromatic left hand warmup
    5 mins UUD on eBG right hand warmup
    Hammer/pull offs - 1234, 124, 134, 1432, 1324
    Spider & Reverse
    1 finger pentatonic
    index/pinky whole tone stretches at 5th fret
    5 mins bending
    5 mins vibrato
    Practise (40 mins):
    5 mins Wicked World solo
    5 mins The Warning solo 1
    5 mins The Warning solo 2
    5 mins Behind The Wall of Sleep intro
    5 mins Behind The Wall of Sleep solo
    5 mins Sleeping Village intro
    5 mins Sleeping Village solo
    5 mins NIB solo 1

7th Dec
    Technique (10 mins):
    5 mins chromatic left hand warmup
    5 mins UUD on eBG right hand warmup
    Practise (90 mins):
    50 mins Setting up Transcribe with timing points for all songs for key sections and approx current tempo for where I can play without fluffing.
    10 mins Behind The Wall Of Sleep solo - specifically relearning first bar as was off-rhythm (90% tempo)
    5 mins Behind The Wall Of Sleep solo (100%)
    5 mins Sleeping Village intro (90%)
    10 mins Sleeping Village solo (85%)