The TGP Guitar Playing Journal

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Benz2112, Dec 5, 2018.

1. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Still working on the Barry Harris stuff.

Got to the horizontal major triad arpeggio lesson in Frank Vignola's Modern Method course. There are actually two exercises, done on one string at a time:

1. Triad starting from root going up and down.
    a. Find the lowest root note (eg. C) on the string.
    b. Play that note, then play the 3rd and the 5th on the same string.
    c. Repeat the above with the next root being a 4th up (or 5th down) - thus working through the 12 keys via the Circle of Fifths, until you're back at C
    2. Triad starting from the lowest note of the triad (some inversion practice)
    a. Find the lowest note of the triad (root, 3rd, or 5th) on the string
    b. Play that note, then the rest of the triad notes, then play the starting note again an octave up
    c. Repeat the above through the Circle of Fifths until back at C.

For me this is such slow going, that I just work on one string per session.

Got a fun new effect pedal (Zoia) so this weekend has seen less formal practice time and more goofing off, but hey that's life.

Oriondk likes this.
  2. BenoA

BenoA Member

I must confess... after 11 months of 4 to 6 days a week of thorough 35 to 45 minutes of practice routine... For the past 2 weeks I had barely practice or touched a guitar.

Had felt no progress in the past few months and have been less motivated. :(

I am stuck in between 115 to 140 with most of the exercises I cover and feel like I hit a "plateau"...

Planning reviewing my practice routine tomorrow, Sunday, and will try a fresh start but I am like not into it. :(

@Oriondk which "Donna Lee" version are you working on?

GovernorSilver likes this.
  3. Oriondk

Oriondk Member

The head in the real book and listen to Charlie Parker, Joe Pass, Bireli Laurene’s versions. On Donna Lee I’m stuck at 190 bpm trying to get through without mistakes. I usually spend a lot of time at 140/150 bpm going over and over it before I speed it up. When I get to 190 it starts to fall apart, though it’s much better than it was a month ago.
    I was very discouraged myself yesterday. Seems like my attempts at Jazz soloing are really bad. I recorded myself doing Oleo and the playback had me thinking of throwing in the towel and taking up another hobby.
    Today I just decided I need to practice more and write down solo ideas.

4. Boeing bloke

Boeing bloke Member

July 20, 0530pm-0700pm

Yamaha GC-TA...with the reverb on:D

Start with fingerpicking patterns to warm up with metronome. Move on to bars 42-53 of Classical Gas for 45 minutes including several run throughs of the tune to that point. Then run through some older repertoire which includes Dust in the wind, Fur Elise and Babe I’m gonna leave you.

Earlier in the day, I’d recorded some different bass lines on backing tracks to see what worked best.

Today I’m on an extended break and working on music theory. Finally finished intervals and am moving on to scales.

GovernorSilver and Oriondk like this.
  5. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Continued practicing Barry Harris "5 4 3 2" lines in 12 keys.

Continued the Vignola horizontal major triad exercises, making myself state the name of each note being played. Took about a week to work through the six strings (one per session), and am back on the 4th string.

Continued work on a couple of chord-melody tunes.

Prepped for the "Isn't She Lovely" playalong thread by learning a couple of bars of Stevie's harmonica solo by ear, practicing that a bit, practicing the E major scale in 6ths, reviewing the melody, and exploring a couple of melodic ideas for improv.

Recorded videos for the "Isn't She Lovely" and "Bb Jazz Blues" threads. I love the random appearances of TGP playalong threads. They're always for songs or chord progressions that I've spend little to zero time preparing for. The results are not great, but I enjoy the challenge and being a part of the TGP community. If I were left on my own, it'd take me several more years before I would feel ready for "Isn't She Lovely", "Sunny", or even a generic jazz blues progression. Sometimes a fire being lit under the butt is needed.

Oriondk likes this.
  6. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Continued practicing Barry Harris "5 4 3 2" lines in 12 keys.

Continued the Vignola horizontal major triad exercises through the circle of 5ths to reach 12 keys, making myself state the name of each note being played. I'm now on my 3rd rotation through the strings. I did the B string last night.

Resumed practice of the Gustavo Assis-Brasil compositions and BWV 1002.

Goofed off with the backing track video posted on the Donna Lee Playalong thread. I wasn't going to even try because the melody would take forever to learn at that tempo, but participants other than the OP are just going straight to jamming. Decided against submitting a vid for now because I've got band rehearsal coming this weekend and I need to spend more time on that, and frankly I'm burned out on guitar soloing after two vids last weekend. Once in a while it's fun but I also get a lot of satisfaction from just playing composed music.

Oriondk likes this.
  7. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Somebody posted about a "Donna Lee" lesson on that thread, so I downloaded the PDF and started learning the melody line (head) using both the PDF and listening (shh... don't tell anyone). I'm up to around bar 21 now.

Had band rehearsal last weekend, which was recorded for our own review. Put in some time every night editing the recording into individual songs. So the remaining music time went to learning "Donna Lee". One of the reasons I put off learning this head was it seemed overly convoluted and showy, but now I'm actually having fun with how it sounds. My goal is to be able to play it in unison with the classic Charlie Parker All-Stars recording - so not quite as ambitious as those who want to play as fast as Joe Pass and NHOP.

I turned most the first 2 or 3 bars of the melody into an economy picking exercise, after noticing the author of the PDF opted for 3 notes per string - with the exception of the trills. I also changed the fingering a bit later in the head.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    Oriondk likes this.
  8. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Alright, now I have the "Donna Lee" head memorized. It'll probably take another week of practice from memory, with reinforcement by repeated listening, before I'll have it "in the fingers" enough to start playing along with the practice video at the minimum 80 bpm.

Gonna resume practicing those Christmas carols as arranged by Larry Carlton.

Oriondk likes this.
  9. newb3fan

newb3fan Member

Nice to see someone else on here studying with Frank V! Have you checked out his "Jazz Studio" channel on TF? I'm a member there and it is helping my playing to standards immensely. I could not do a chord melody 6-9 months ago....had never even tried one. Now I can. Improving over standards is slow going but I'm slowly building up a library of ideas. Maybe another 10 years of sticking to it and I won't be embarrassed to play changes!

Oriondk likes this.
  10. newb3fan

newb3fan Member

I'm wood shedding Donna Lee right now as well because of that other thread for the play along. I'm at the 100 bpm range and play it every day for at least 5 minutes as part of my study.

Oriondk likes this.
  11. Oriondk

Oriondk Member

I’ve been working on Donna Lee for months now. I’m stuck on getting above 95bpm in cut time. And soloing over it is really giving me fits.

12. newb3fan

newb3fan Member

You are more capable than me if you are at 180-190 bpm on the head. My fastest was 130-140 a few months ago but I forgot it and am relearning it as we speak. It's a great melody and has so many gems in it for learning the bebop language. The great Bucky Pizzarelli once said that "everything you need to learn is in the songs". How true...

Oriondk likes this.
  13. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Nice! I only learned my first chord-melody arrangement about 5 years ago. Started with some Adam Rafferty arrangements of Stevie Wonder songs and the compositions at the end of Gustavo Assis-Brasil's hybrid picking book.

I started posting to the forum playalong threads just last year. Darn fellow TGP members have a habit of picking tunes/chord progressions that I'm not prepared for... but for whatever reason I was jamming along one evening to one of those backing tracks and I decided to just go for it. I have yet to be satisfied with anything I've posted, but I realized that by participating, I can push myself past my comfort level and thus progress. The first time I posted to a playalong thread gave me the confidence to try another one, and it just built from there.

For the time being, I'm sticking to Vignola's Modern Method course, as part of the back to basics theme. I want to progress to being able to name the three notes of any major triad, even when shaken awake at 4AM.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    newb3fan and Oriondk like this.
  14. BenoA

BenoA Member

So where is that "Donna Lee" thing. Very frustrated at the moment. A year later from starting a 30 minutes daily routine and feel like I am getting worst rather than improving...

Oriondk likes this.
  15. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

The Donna Lee things:

The playalong thread - my reaction to the badasses in the videos like ivers, dlguitar, etc. was "Damn, they're good! I wanna keep practicing". I do understand others can have the opposite reaction like "Damn they're good, I'm getting rid of my guitars."
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/donna-lee-post-your-take.2065445/

The backing track provided by the OP in the above thread was kinda in a gypsy style. Same person posted this lesson video. Note that the tab/notation in the video has a mistake. See video description for link for a download zip file that includes PDF, and a comment about the mistake and fix:

Great video for practicing the head - starts at 80 bpm, and gradually works into the 200 range

Approach Note System Bundle that includes Donna Lee-related material - no experience myself, but it's only $5.
    https://jazzduets.com/collections/e...h-note-exercises-complete-pdf-download-bundle

@Oriondk sorry forgot to include last link

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    BenoA and Oriondk like this.
  16. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Tried playing along with that Donna Lee melody workout video at 80 bpm. Nope, not time for me yet, but as stated in the previous post I expected that.

Back to the woodshed....

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  17. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Continued practice of "Donna Lee" head, along with repeated listening to recordings. I think the guitar lesson, despite the correction in the PDF, still has a mistake in the head. The bass version seems more accurate, except for replacing a short chromatic sequence with a finger slide, which is ok. Miles and Bird play that part as 4 chromatic notes.

Following Ed's advice on another thread, started looking at the Drop 2 book by Randy Vincent and playing through the first couple of examples that show the Shearing style chords vs. Drop 2 chords.

Worked on the C6 Drop 2 chord inversions introduced by Pasquale Grasso in his Jazz Guitar Vol. 1 video on My Music Masterclass. So many ways to learn this Drop 2 stuff:

1. Harmonized scale - this is the focus of Randy Vincent's introductory chapter. Drop 2 chords in C Bebop Major, Bebop Minor, etc.

2. Inversions of the same chord. Until Grasso pointed it out, it never occurred to me that inversions of Amin7 are also inversions of C6, even though I've known that A is the relative minor of C. The 5 min7 shapes shown for the top 4 strings are identical to the shapes taught by Henry Johnson in the "areas of activity/inversions" lesson from his first TrueFire course.

I'll probably practice the inversions to warm up for Drop 2 stuff, then see where RV is going with his book.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019 at 11:32 AM
    Oriondk likes this.
  18. SuperSilverHaze

SuperSilverHaze Member

Ill do random days here and there, but note that all my days aren't consistent and last night I would consider to be pretty average for a weekday.

Morning warmup for 15 mins playing with metronome and trying to build up speed
    10 minutes of re playing what I learned the night before which happened to be this.
    15 mins messing around with concepts and ideas for new song
    then off to work

nighttime warmup for 15 minutes with metronome and working with 7 arpeggios
    45 mins learning The Mango Song by Phish
    30 mins of ear training and stealing chordal ideas from Steely Dan
    30 mins of playing a couple of songs from my repertoire
    15 mins working on inverted spread triads with metronome. memorizing their locations and getting muscle memory down.
    15 mins of revisiting the kazuki isogai jam
    15 mins of revisiting mango song

This is a decent day and night for me. sometimes I get in more, but usually a touch less. On the weekends I try and get 4 - 5 hours in a day. Usually with a drummer and bass player and/or other guitarist / keyboard player.

I see a steady progression with this schedule and wish it more, but I have a fairly busy life so it is what it is. Last year I was able to play a lot more and definitely miss making the super fast improvements where you can tell a noticeable difference in your playing every month.

Oriondk likes this.
  19. Oriondk

Oriondk Member

I’ve always noticed the most improvement when I can regularly get in 4 to 5 hours a day.