The thing I miss the most with the Axe Fx II...

Rock72

is the excitement when seeing the post, UPS or DHL truck roll up with a new pedal, bought or traded here at the TGP. The sheer joy of unpacking that little box, plug it in, play, and offer it up for trade or sale on the Emporium a few days later. And the wait for the truck to roll up again...

With the Axe my hobby is now playing not trading. Weird :bonk. What a wonderful piece of equipment!!

aleclee

TGP Tech Wrangler
Staff member
Yeah, I've noticed the AxeFx's GAS dissipation field for a while now. My chops have improved considerably since my focus has been more on using the gear I've got.

dank

Consummate Beatles Fan
Gold Supporting Member
Same boat here. However, I still am not ready to start selling off my pedals.

Scott Peterson

TGP Co-Founder and Administrator
Staff member
If you knew me before the Axe-FX (pre-2007) and contrasted it with me since... you'd chuckle. I was a gear-whore of the highest degree, on the buy-sell-buy-sell merry-go-round almost endlessly and consistently prior to it. Since then? Here's my gear in/out summed up:

echos

Totally agree. There are so many amps to choose from as well as pedals I cannot imagine a need for more gear amp wise. My problem is that there just aren't enough hours in a day to get familiar with all of them.

aleclee

TGP Tech Wrangler
Staff member
Then it's time you get into buying selling the actual guitars to get your ups fix
I was doing that but then made the mistake of finding an omigawd model. You know, the one that feels like a soulmate the second you wrap your hand around the neck.

My penchant for stainless frets is an effective moderator to GAS since a SS refret adds about $400 to the cost of acquiring a new instrument.

mmcm4

After an AxeFX it's:

1. Cleanest tube-like power amps
2. Best FRFR monitor
3. Most advanced MIDI controller
...etc.

Plenty of stuff to GAS for!

aleclee

TGP Tech Wrangler
Staff member
After an AxeFX it's:

1. Cleanest tube-like power amps
2. Best FRFR monitor
3. Most advanced MIDI controller
...etc.

Plenty of stuff to GAS for!
Yes and no. With most of those devices, folks don't make so many "lateral" moves they way they do with amps, cabs, and pedals. Now that I have a QSC K8, I'm not likely to go after a JBL or other relatively equivalent speaker. If I were to get something to replace the QSC, it would be a more definitive "upgrade" like an RCF. Same with the other stuff you list.

shredmiyagi

Not to sound cheesy, but I'm gonna agree w/the sentiments... "Before the AxeFX2, I was a gear whore... But now I'm a new man!"

Honestly, it's been great though. I think I spent about 10 hours per month in packing, shipping, posting, trading, etc. Went through so many pedals, amps and pedalboard sizes and cabling methods. PICKUPS TOO. Trying to match them to my rig.

Now I kind of look back on it, and wonder... why even bother with any of that crap? :lol: Honestly, I have a lot of diff. type guitars, and I can get any kind of tone I ever wanted:

- Standard good solid-state jazz tone + reverb check
- Cheesy shred/rock high-gain/harmonic-accentuating/easy-play/EVH stuff check
- Pop music (high fx processing) check
- R&B/gospel check
- Low gain indie/art rock w/o having to manage bunch of vintage gear check
- Fusion tones check to the max
- Brutal metal check

It's helped me focus on sorting my guitars out...
And focus on playing more and tinkering less.

tvegas99

Gold Supporting Member
word
it's been a relief to find myself completely content with my sound options
i love V7's touch and feel which is such a relief- with analog gear it was such a dealbreaker- i might have liked the way something sounded but not the way it felt
super happy with the 2
i do miss my ups/fedex guys, but I don't miss the expense, I could easily spend over $100 per month in insurance/packing/fees

Trending Topics