The thing that I find so rude on TGP

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by supersonic1414, Dec 4, 2013.

1. supersonic1414

supersonic1414 Member

Gonna rant as I have had this happen quite a bit lately when I list guitars in the emporium...

I really find it rude when a member pms with words like HIGHLY interested or almost ready to pull the trigger, and than asks for 5-6 specific pictures to be taken and sent to them....Fine, I want to answer questions and make sure the buyer is comfortable with the guitar, happy to help....

But after I find time to get the guitar again, take these special pictures, load on photobucket, and than send to the buyer, I hear nothing.....No "no thanks", "not what I am after", etc.....common courtesy would be to reply with something due to the sellers going out of their way to accomodate your special requests based on your high interest....

I have no problems with tire kickers asking questions, but when you send the seller out to do special things for you, just communicate that you received the pictures and say yes, no, or gonna think about it...Not much to ask.

There are some who are very polite and follow the above this week, but seems to be more of them without manners lately.....Maybe it's just been a tough week for me.....

2. mystixboi

mystixboi Member

Happens a lot actually

3. russ

russ Supporting Member

It's happened to me too. I get annoyed by the lack of response.
    Nothing we can do about it......

4. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius Member

It's the new paradigm. Try Craig's List. It's much worse. I think CL is pretty much all tire kickers these days.

5. ScottySevins

ScottySevins Member

I totally agree a little common mutual respect.

6. 73Fender

73Fender Member

We're talking common courtesy here. I even get back to anyone who answers a question for me.

7. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

The more photos and questions, the less chance they ever bid on eBay..

Jeff

8. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

Once I learned some 20 years ago that I could only control my actions and nobody else's, it became easier to let others' rudeness have little impact on me. Doesn't always work admittedly, and doesn't make rude proper, but for the most part it makes rude something that doesn't mess w/ my serenity.

Unless of course I'm driving. :)

nichd likes this.
  9. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Most people have no clue about common courtesy in general these days, in or outside of TGP.

10. winterblu

winterblu Supporting Member

This is a fact!

11. imsoangry

imsoangry Senior Member

I think a lot of people just don't feel comfortable saying "no" or "no thanks" - they're afraid that no matter how they turn you down, they think it will come off as rude.

12. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Honestly, if you're selling a guitar, you should have pics already loaded up ready to go on photobucket. Especially if there are any flaws, etc. 10+ pics should be up there.

Anyone serious can get all they need off of those (or MAYBE one or two additional). The 'I need additional' types are usually the 'I'm drunk at 3AM and that guitar looks pretty cool'. Sobered up they realize they can't get that purchase past the wife...

Prepare 1st, then you won't have to go through the trouble later.

13. Ape Factory

Ape Factory Member

Slightly different situation...had a guy request caliper measurements of the neck at the first, third, fifth, 9th and 12th fret. Really? Fine. Get home late from work, measure said awesome neck, send the measurements and not a peep....thinking long walk, short pier.

14. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Mod Squad Staff Member

It's hard. I know I just had sold a few things, and one of them, a member posted "I'll take it" right after I posted the item. Well...the thread died of course. It had over 20 views in just a few minutes too. So, I contact the member, and he said, "I can pay you tomorrow". In the meantime, everyone else is assuming the item is Sold.

Fortunately, the buyer honored his word, and payed for the item today. But I think what happens is a person sees something the like, then they get impulsive, ask a lot of questions, but when the Rubber needs to meet the road......they get apprehensive.

But as a Seller, we need to Lower our expectations,as this is a tough, tough market right now. And, we have to be ready to perform a lot of work if we want to get a deal done. But I honestly think dealing with these situations is a whole lot better than dealing with some folks on Ebay or Craigslist. YMMV.

15. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius Member

Now I know how all of those women felt when I never called them back. :D

16. fatcat87

fatcat87 Member

I can identify.. On the other hand there are some who are not even interested in the first place but still ask for detailed pictures. What's more nothing is finalized only when funds landed in the sellers account first.

17. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

I should have said they NEVER bid... <g>

Jeff

18. patentcad

patentcad Member

eBay

19. schristie

schristie Supporting Member

I'll take an occasional "ghost" shopper vs. strangers wanting to come to my crib off Craigslist or even worse getting fee'd to death by feeBay.

I LOVE TGP and have done a ton of transactions - honestly I've had WAY more positive transactions than the likes of what's described here...just my experience.

Yes courtesy should be common but the older I get it seems that my moral compass and the rest of society seem to be askew LOL.

Hang in there and keep posting, selling and buying, this is a great resource for us all.

20. jcs

jcs Member

I've had WAY more positive transactions than bad....never had a problem resolving any issues either.

COMMUNICATION is key!

With this new age of texting, too many folks try to use as few words as possible.

Folks, some of the gear we love and lust after is fairly straightforward but guitars, custom or modded pedals, obscure amps etc, often require a lot of words to describe accurately.

"Pictures can speak a thousand words" but its often not nearly enough, especially in the case of vacuum tubes.

You honestly can NOT determine a vacuum tube's performance from pictures....now you can look for thin getter flashing and other clues, but a tube can look brand new and be faulty or dead!