The Thousand Dollar Tube Screamer

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tiktok, Jun 8, 2019.

1. MichiganEsquire

MichiganEsquire Member

Completely spot on, great post!

jimijimmyjeffy likes this.
  2. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

You misunderstand my point but that's totally fine.

Of course I disagree that appreciating how fortunate one is compared to others is a bad outlook on life. Lol.

3. WBellman

WBellman Supporting Member

"Those people would do well to appreciate how fortunate they are"
    "Paul Allen types"
    "Trivial things"
    "Lives could be rescued"

Maybe use less hyperbole next time?

4. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

Ink pens are not trivial to you? Just drop it dude. I am fine that you don't understand my point, really.

Lives could quite literally be rescued for a year's income. A year of insurance for cancer patients etc would save lives. Do you not get the fountain pen convention guy renting an extra room for his personal pilot? What is wrong with your comprehension?

We are allowed to have different values. I am going stand by my words there.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    prov likes this.
  5. Jollyb

Jollyb Silver Supporting Member

I owned so many of these. literally a few dozen. never paid more then $200.That was about 5 yrs ago.To tell you the truth I just prefer my Fulldrive . I think these prices are inflated though because nothing is selling. I think we have reached the saturation point.

6. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

Looked those up, very intricate and artistic.

7. runningman

runningman Member

I bought that same pedal for $250 from a guitar shop a few years ago, and sold it on eBay a few days later for $500.

guess I should have held it...

truth be told, it did sound very good. but so does the SoundTank TS5 I bought for $10

8. SynapticGroove

SynapticGroove Member

What's up with the internal power supply jack? There is nothing connected to the board. Also, the amount of flux all over that board is insane, although not rare because it's from 1980. I'd re-flow all of the solder joints just to be safe. Some of them look pretty cold. The battery clip has also been replaced, for those of you that care about originality. At least they color-matched the heat shrink where the splices are at.

[​IMG]

JackfromAK and chankgeez like this.
  9. AltecGreen

AltecGreen Member

Let's not get into a war of words over my penchant for fountain pen collecting. @jimijimmyjeffy, you bring up goods points. It is not a new position and I have seen similar comments posted many times over the last 32 years on the internet (long before the web and before the net was opened to the public) when we enter discussions about hobbies and the money some people spend. I don't see the issue as being so cut and dry. In any case, I am fortunate to be in the position that I am in.

10. AltecGreen

AltecGreen Member

11. forgivenman

forgivenman Member

That’s true- I wonder how it would sound on its own?

jaymeister likes this.
  12. megatrav

megatrav Member

I don't understand why its so expensive. Can someone please explain?

Don't people build these same circuits in China and sell them for like $20?

What is the difference? A $580 difference?

Is it just because its old?

Please explain to a sub- 30 year old person who has no value in how old things are.

Also, weren't these mass-produced?

Like at least the Klon was hand build in a garage or whatever.

hippieboy likes this.
  13. WBellman

WBellman Supporting Member

Yes. It's also somewhat rare and definitely collectable. Not even going to mention the vibe and mojo attached to it......

14. FOTM704

FOTM704 Member

Why not just go for a an Analogman True Vintage TS808? Same diodes, same chip...will last longer

hippieboy likes this.
  15. desire machine

desire machine Member

I've seen a few vids on youtube where they a/b tubescreamers like that pedalshow. And the take away I've gotten is that they're all pretty much sound the same so you should just go w/ whatever's cheapest/convenient. The T9 is lil more gainy apparently than 808 but even that where its a different circuit isn't a huge difference.

I have a TS mini ..it's made by ibanez, which I believe is original.. I think an 808, it's mini, and it was like $80.

Spending $1000 on a TS seems silly to me. Like put that money towards a guitar, amp, bottle of wine.. anything else.

Then again maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

16. LikeAMotherF

LikeAMotherF Supporting Member

You could buy a respectable amp for that $. And if you need the mid hump, you'd probably have enough left over for an EQ pedal.....

Sheesh.
    (To each their own though.)

17. Allthesound

Allthesound Silver Supporting Member

You would think asking 1k for that pedal he could at least clean the dust off the battery cover.

18. dwoverdrive

dwoverdrive Supporting Member

With the choices available today, I can't for the life of me understand why someone would pay $500 much less $1000 for a utilitarian pedal such as a tube screamer.

19. crankyrayhanky

crankyrayhanky Member

My car is worth 500
    I wonder if I can dangle it as a package trade + all of my modern screamers

20. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

Lots of famed players have admitted to using a tubescreamer. But yup, I know what you're saying. I like it when stars keep a lid on their gear. I think secrecy is good for all concerned. I know such a thing would never become the norm. Inquiring minds want to know. Magazines and webzines need something to discuss besides songwriting and recording techniques. But the moment an admired player opens their mouth about what they use, it's basically a free endorsement that instantly gives that piece of gear more market value today that wasn't there yesterday.