• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

The Three C's of guitar modelers

Gasp100

Gold Supporting Member
  • Cartage
  • Consistency
  • (with) Compromise
These three reasons essentially rule every decision I have to make about when I use or don't use guitar modeling. Case in point; gig tomorrow (Thursday) on a Pier with a notoriously bad load in, bad enough where I hired sound even though it will dig heavily into our take home. Tomorrow will probably be about 80 degrees with 80% humidity., 3 hour hit it and quit it gig. I want to be in my bed by 12:30am latest!
This rig below sounds rigtheous but isn't quite done yet (UA Golden Reverbarator and another drive on the way) and ALSO sounds killer DI, even when just using the clean channel.
But, the FM3 is coming to this gig (and 90% of my other gigs including acoustic) and the 3 C's apply.
I am prepping for the FM9 so I grabbed a Strymon Iridium (personal fave) to model the Suhr PT15-IR clean channel so I can go with the board completely DI (no amp).
Simplicity wins almost every single time!

Watt McCo

• Cartage
  • Consistency
  • (with) Compromise
These three reasons essentially rule every decision I have to make about when I use or don't use guitar modeling. Case in point; gig tomorrow (Thursday) on a Pier with a notoriously bad load in, bad enough where I hired sound even though it will dig heavily into our take home. Tomorrow will probably be about 80 degrees with 80% humidity., 3 hour hit it and quit it gig. I want to be in my bed by 12:30am latest!
This rig below sounds rigtheous but isn't quite done yet (UA Golden Reverbarator and another drive on the way) and ALSO sounds killer DI, even when just using the clean channel.
But, the FM3 is coming to this gig (and 90% of my other gigs including acoustic) and the 3 C's apply.
I am prepping for the FM9 so I grabbed a Strymon Iridium (personal fave) to model the Suhr PT15-IR clean channel so I can go with the board completely DI (no amp).

How does the Iridium work in? Selling the 3 before you get the 9 and using it at end of this board while waiting for the 9?

Gasp100

Gold Supporting Member
How does the Iridium work in? Selling the 3 before you get the 9 and using it at end of this board while waiting for the 9?
Zactly. The Jam Ripply Chorus is lush and sweet, the Phaser side is freaking sweet especially with gain - they got that high end right! The Diamond memory lane junior is perfect, simple gets out of the way but with high mix and mod it's gorgeous. The UA Golden "should be" the near Zenith of available Reverb and I dig the drives, just going to fill in a drive slot for something pure rock like PedalPalFX 800v3. It's going to sound amazing in front, in the loop and into the Strymon Iridium:

Gasp100

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah you're gonna have to flip that cab.
Matching 2x12 is like $900!!!
I'm searching for a 24x24 horizontal cab from a good maker, might have to commission Mather Cabs or someone. Shame to pay new prices on a cab!

Gasp100

Gold Supporting Member
Flip the angle of it 90°! not sell it! I can't do the t stack!
I need 24" height, even when seated...
The Cab is a Peavey, actually decent Baltic birch but y'all know I'm a snob and need Mather, vintage Marshall, Stoneage, Suhr for this rig. BUT, it has to fit in my car and be less than $1K for Godsakes :)
2x12 horizontal 24x24x10 (or close) maybe dual Creamback M65 or one mixed with something else, 45lbs or GTFO!
Old Marshall 1965A would be amazing but I HAVE SOLD THREE OF THOSE OVER THE YEARS.... :(
I used to rock the Marshall Mosfet FULL STACK with the 1965A & B... those were the days!

Watt McCo

• Cartage
  • Consistency
  • (with) Compromise

What's clean headroom like on the amp? I presume significantly more than a Princeton Reverb? (12 watts).

Gasp100

Gold Supporting Member
What's clean headroom like on the amp? I presume significantly more than a Princeton Reverb? (12 watts).
So my settings on the clean are Gain = 6, Level = 6. With my Tele's and strat it still only really breaks up if I dig in deep which is what I prefer. The Global Master Volume when I'm going into the speaker is slightly above 9 o'clock and at the "this sounds killer, but wife might text if on conference call" (I'm in a raised beach house but office is built on ground floor). 10 o'clock is "**** the neighbors, I pay property taxes too" and above that it definitely backline with drums if not getting close to no mic... but of course I always "mic" by using the DI out which is what was used for that clip.

I should probably add the gain channels SLAY!

Sorry, in answer to your question yes definitely blows away a Princeton Reverb and has much more 'width/girth" which is the real problem with the PR in a band setting. The PR can get almost loud enough on 5 1/2, but can't fill up enough space... I tried with a great FSR Princeton with multiple speaker swaps - I wanted it to work.

Last edited:

Guitardave

Silver Supporting Member
Your board is pretty basic...do you approach the modeling the same way or do you dig into presets/scenes/etc.?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom