The Three Stooges

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Liquid Ranger, May 1, 2016.

1. Liquid Ranger

Liquid Ranger Supporting Member

Tisk risk and tusk tusk, enough of this music stuff...let's talk about something REALLY important:)
    Maybe the funniest human beings ever for the ages..IMO
    It warms my heart that all of my children ,youngest being age 8, can't seem to get enough of these guys and belly laugh the same way I did when I first saw them....and still do!
    "Hey porcupine, where are you going?" (reply) "Fishing!" (question) "You got worms?" (answer) Yeaaaah but I'm going anyway!"
    Discuss!

jpervin, grill, Pedal Dan and 4 others like this.
  2. ripple

ripple To keep fresh, keep capped & cold. Silver Supporting Member

"Hold hands you love birds..."

Thwackk!!!

3. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

My brother in law loves them. I've always been in The Little Rascals camp. Stooges .... don't see the attraction to it.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  4. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

My dad and I used to love watching them back when I was a kid, but my mom hated them ("too violent" :().

I still love them to this day.

sixty2strat likes this.
  5. Campfired

Campfired Member

My former neighbor's daughter was married with a Three Stooges wedding cake figurines (instead of the bride and groom figurines on top of the cake). I had thought to give her my old Three Stooges "Golf With Friends" poster, but she already had one!

6. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

I love the Stooges and always have, in fact, I'm finishing up a book on them right now that breaks down the plot lines of all 190 Stooge shorts and their six feature films. The shorts degenerated into rehashes of previous ones toward the end, as Columbia Pictures continuously cut the budget. The producers were forced to recycle plot lines and footage out of necessity, and Columbia finally pulled the plug on the Stooges completely. They had the last laugh though; right about that time, TV discovered the Stooges shorts, and they enjoyed a tremendous resurgence of popularity that revitalized their careers and fortunes and set them up for life financially.

Speaking of money, Columbia made millions off the Stooges, paid them inadequately, and kept the three of them constantly in fear of being cancelled, thereby deterring them from asking for more money. They did get raises almost yearly, but not what they should have gotten. As a result, the Stooges lived their private lives comfortably, but they couldn't afford the extravagant lifestyles that most Hollywood stars enjoyed. All of them were characters in their own right; Moe was the boss, the owner of the Stooges name and properties, a dedicated family man and husband. Larry was also happily married all his life to the same woman, but was a gambler who squandered his money, had a short attention span, and lived in hotels. Curly was a bon vivant, a drinker, sharp dresser and a ladies' man, who had to retire as a result of several strokes that finally killed him young. Shemp was a chronic bed wetter (it kept him out of the army in WWI) and a big prize fight fan, who dropped dead after attending a sports function.

Most people don't know that there was one Stooges short that featured all four of them. After Curly retired, they thoughtfully brought him back for a bit part, as a sleeping passenger on a train with his hair fully grown back. That was Curly's last film appearance.

My favorite Stooge was always Larry Fine. I guess it was his hair and funny lines like, "I lost my ba-lance!" He was also the only musician among the three, an accomplished violinist.

And it's true, that the Stooges audience was and probably still is, predominantly male. Most women seem to consider them too violent.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  7. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Supporting Member

DrumBob and ripple like this.
  8. DrumBob

grill, Tommy Biggs, MoPho and 4 others like this.
  9. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

To this day any time I hear 6 7/8 I smile

IF your ever in the Burbs of Philly Larrys Nephew-in-law runs the Stoogeum the world only 3 stooges Museum http://stoogeum.com/

ERGExplorer likes this.
  10. Slackerprince

Slackerprince Member

Shemp was my favorite!

S

gigs and hellbender like this.
  11. CallEOD

CallEOD Member

12. Mighty Melvin

Mighty Melvin Member

I heard a Larry Fine interview where he said that the Stooges never had their own sets. If Columbia made a movie on a boat, then the Stooges would make a short on a boat. If Columbia made a movie in a castle, then the Stooges would make a short in a castle.

Mr. Fine sounded like a really good guy, someone you'd like to hang out with.

13. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

14. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

Great post!

Another little-known fact is that a very young Lucille Ball made one of her earliest film appearances in the Three Little Pigskins short - as a blonde!

DrumBob likes this.
  15. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Supporting Member

Slackerprince likes this.
  16. Slackerprince

Slackerprince Member

LOL

S

17. Slackerprince

Slackerprince Member

Classic comedy. CGI free and funny as hell.
    You, either, get the Stooges, or you don't.

S

18. burner

burner Member

"A tarantula? You just wasted five good slugs in a divot!"

Larry Fine was definitely my fave.

DetSlicker likes this.
  19. DrumBob

Thank you. Yes, Lucille Ball was featured in one Stooges short.

20. H. Mac

H. Mac Member

I was 5 in 1959, when the Stooges were first broadcast on TV (at least in the Chicago area) and have been a diehard fan ever since. I've read books about them, bought the limited edition release of their scripts, purchased Moe's and Larry's autographs from Moe's daughter (but was too late to get Curley's and Shemp's), and have owned complete collections of their shorts since back in the VHS days, now on DVD. I've introduced two of my grandkids to them, and I never go for more than a week without watching them.

Comedic genius at its best!