The 'Thru-Zero' Lounge

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by PhuzzphayzZ, Dec 23, 2019.

1. PhuzzphayzZ

PhuzzphayzZ Member

I always wondered why my flanger couldn't make "those" sounds- the ones I wanted! I accidentally hit on how to mimic the sound with a Chorus pedal, but mostly for the whooshing sound, note the pinched part.

So, now that I'm buying pedals for the first time in... ever, really,... I find that my beloved sound is available Retail! Just Searching "through zero flanging" on the video circuit yields up a handful of new product demos, and a few history lessons.

There is one video of a young man, Tommy 'Hessenius' (I believe), just jamming in his room Hendrix style, and this video most perfectly so far represents the sound I've been wanting for so long. Apparently he's using a Strymon Deco in the video, which was new to me (Strymon's proliferation of delays confuses me- help!- I thought they already had a 'thru-zero' flanger, the Orbit? I understand the Deco is doing tape and the Orbit is doing analog?)

This is off the top of my head:

Foxrox "_____"- the $700 one
    Catalinbread 'ZeroPoint'
    Mr. Black 'Tunnelworm'
    Chase Bliss 'Spectre'??
    Strymon Orbit
    Strymon Deco
    OTHERS????

Honestly, none of the product demos really hit it like the Hessenius vid, and I couldn't find another Deco demo that showed this feature. And I seemed slightly underwhelmed by much of the knob twiddling. To me, 'thru-zero' is pretty much a "program the parameters into an expression" and then you just do it like the pedal Deja-VIbe,... no? Pat Travers!

If the Catalinbread were just ON the whole time and did its thing by, say, picking attack- extra swooshing when you play extra- BUT, I don't want to be stepping on your pedal like that all night.

DO YOU LOVE THRU-ZERO? WE'RE LOOKING TO HEAR FROM YOU!!! Show me the way!!!

I just want it on all the time, sorry Dan Steinhar :(

2. tonedover

tonedover Supporting Member

there is no flanger, only deco

but for real, deco turned me on to flanging bc of the control it offers and the “hold to thru zero flange” was superb for my style. i will likely rebuy in the next 6 months. amazing sounds in there but not that generic airplane whoosh that seems to be in all the “big brand” pedals (ibanez, boss, etc)

cool thread concept

3. aaronjcurtis

aaronjcurtis Member

I have the Spectre and think it’s pretty great.

4. PedalCrazyFool

PedalCrazyFool Member

I think this is what had you (rightly) gassed up...

5. whateverdude

whateverdude Supporting Member

6. scotty31

scotty31 Member

I love TZF.
    Ive come full circle on flange. It was originally my favourite modulation. Then it was Vibe, then Phase, then Trem, then Chorus.

The Foxrox TZF1 is the best i've ever had.
    [​IMG]

Spectre, Zero Point and Tunnelworm aren't bad either.
    The ModZero by Deville is pretty good too.

7. PhuzzphayzZ

PhuzzphayzZ Member

All your responses already are making me drool,... gaaah!!! Must.Have.Nooow!!!!!

8. Mark Barratt

Mark Barratt Supporting Member

Foxrox Paradox (My favorite) ... good demo here --

mowatsmith, DC1 and Ezzy911 like this.
  9. Jack DeVille

Jack DeVille Gold Supporting Member

After designing no less than five TZFs, in both analog and digital domains, I can say that it is my favorite process to design.

stratmaniac, DC1, reddog112 and 15 others like this.
  10. radiocure

radiocure Supporting Member

The source audio flanger can do it as well.

Not Orange and Scott57 like this.
  11. PhuzzphayzZ

PhuzzphayzZ Member

Mmmm... the $700 one,... yeeea... that's why I might have to look at one of the others,... BUT but but but but... we'll see...

You've also tried the Deco?

12. PhuzzphayzZ

PhuzzphayzZ Member

Pleased to make your acquaintance, sir! Oh, do go on... :)

There is also a video up where some lads are in a studio with... Mike Exeter??... and they record a flanged drum fill the semi-old fashioned way... said it took them an hour to get the synch. But when you hear when he literally does the move with the reel, oh!, that sound!!

13. scotty31

scotty31 Member

i havent. but its on my list.

I originally picked up a TZF when they came out. Was quite the bargain for $300 odd back in the day.
    I reacquired this one for closer to 500 i think. They are worth every penny. Will do most flange tones, chorus, phase, vibe plus TZF and a fixed matrix filter.....you just have to remember how to set it :p

14. PhuzzphayzZ

PhuzzphayzZ Member

I'm curious if you would comment on Send/Return vs Front-of-Amp with this... "process". It seems perhaps that the compressed nature of the sound itself lends itself to FoA? In my head, I'm just hearing "too much" coming from Send/Return... ?!! Of course, the process itself is totally 'Post',- but, not in an "amp speaker" kind of way- it's almost always highly dry, tight, and compressed (I must be thinking some Beatles or Hendrix here).

15. fakeox

fakeox Member

This one sold me..

16. Buddy67

Buddy67 Member

I’ve had 4:

•Tunnelworm sounded great but I preferred having the momentary aspect of the next 3.
    •Deco was my least favourite: it didn’t give the ripping woosh of the others. Plus I think digital gain (the left side) is a stupid idea.
    •Zero Point was cool, I loved the momentary switch, but it didn’t actually go thru zero: it cuts out when the modulated delayed signal catches up with the unmodulated but doesn’t come before it. Plus I found its headroom lacking.
    •Spectre: my favourite that will never leave my board. I have 1 preset with positive polarity for traditional flanging and 1 with negative for thru zero, and I use an expression pedal to control the sweep into and out of zero. It can get great Electric Mistress type chorusing a la Andy Summers at lower settings. Plus the other 3 pedals have to digitalize the dry signal in order to create the thru zero effect, whereas this is analog.

dg87 likes this.
  17. PhuzzphayzZ

PhuzzphayzZ Member

mmm hmm... so you've spent $800 on it, LOL!!

shhhhh... I know the feeling! ack

Currently, since I just started buying pedals only a month ago (really- "the day"), I thought I made a smart move on a cheap used Carl Martin Classic Flange, and, as far as your "four knob flanger deal", it's as transparent as anything (Carl Martin) and is somewhat unique in its naming of the four parameters (which do all interact almost as if a unit- for whatever speed you set you have about three sweet spots low/mid/hi on the dials, but they all kind of move together as a block so if you go outside of the science, it kind of "tells you", lol,... which of course is good- I'm all about the sweet spot, forget what me me me wants).

Of course, it doesn't do TZF, and, being a "clean" flanger (not a specifically "special FX" most-outrageous-ever) I leave it in the "perfect chorus" + analog delay in the Send/Return.

SO, I STILL NEED A PROPER FLANGER,-TZF

In my mind, TZF has NOTHING to do with your average flanger pedal, besides the most basic chorusing- if I want a Super Modulation Device that shoots ray guns and esoterica and icy landscapes, like that vid of the guy freaking over Earthquaker PYRAMIDS (I forgot that one in the beginning),lol-

IF I WANT A FLANGOTRON, THEN I WANT TZF!!!

ON ALL THE TIME!!!

YEEEA! Frank Marinoooooooooo..........

18. PhuzzphayzZ

PhuzzphayzZ Member

1) Very Transparent

2) All Knobs at Noon (Dibs on band name!!) except
    Lag

Would you say it's a "set it/forget it" and use an expression pedal for the rate switches- or can you program all the parameters together into the expression pedal? I'd be using it kind of like the young man in the first video above, stereotypical classic Hendrix on acid. I can't tell if he's manipulating his on the fly or just using wah wah...

Do tell more- I haven't heard any higher gain demos- Andy from Reverb was keeping it pretty Badfingery and not giving us the Star Spangled Banner.

I NEED TO HEAR A HENDRIX TZF SHOOTOUT!!!

19. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

The guy who did the original all-analog NON-TZF/NON-BBD/NON-digital/NON-Tape Flanger has apparently pulled it from youtube,
    BUT, if you want TZF using only 2 omni-mics, a mic-stand, a light-weight-mic-boom, and a sturdy oscillating-fan-base,
    Here's what you do.

Take the fan blades off the base, discard the blades and cage.
    - Attach the boom to the oscillating portion of the base... about 4 feet of extension (counterbalancing or clamping the base down may be needed).
    - Attach one mic to the end of the boom
    - Set the fan-base about 10 feet from the speaker,
    ---- at mid-arc, the boom should be pointing 90 degrees from the direction of the sound-waves.
    - Set up the other mic in the other stand, next to the 1/2-way point of the arc of the fan.

- Plug both mics into one amp
    - Maybe invest in a cheap 0-180 polarity "buffer", for additive and subtractive flanging.
    - Possibly a clean compressor, if the moving mic gets too loud/quiet.

Turn on the fan-base.
    Krank the amp.

You will hit Zero-point when the two mics are closest to each other,
    The furthest audible excursion is found (obviously) when the moving mic is furthest or closest to the mic.

No kidding, this works.
    NO clock/BBD/Digital noise, what-so-ever.

For math nerds, you can figure the approximate time delays and tweek this by calculating the distance of the mic from the speaker as it moves, and add/subtract the distance to the stationary mic.
    Speed of sound in feet per second, distance on the arc,
    The most 'triangle-wave LFO' sound will come from a longer boom and a smaller degrees of arc.
    Shorted booms and 180 degrees of arc gets closer to a sinusoid LFO approximation.
    I've done all the maths before... I'll leave it up to someone else to try tonight, if they wish.

Have fun.

20. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

I have the OG Foxrox Paradox TZF. If I were buying today, I'd get the TZF2: Electric Boogaloo, and call it a day. Of course, now my post came after lefort's, and I'm wondering how fast I have to run with my guitar through the amp/fan field to achieve a true TZF experience.