The 'Thru-Zero' Lounge

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by PhuzzphayzZ, Dec 23, 2019.

1. rumstove

rumstove Member

Speaking of the Flanger Hoax...when did EHX discontinue them? I went on the website to download the pdf manual (couldn't find mine) and it wasn't listed. I searched for flanger hoax and it has a "discontinued" note at the top of the product page. Maybe they're updating it...or letting it be forgotten for now to re-release it in 20 years or so.

2. johnetone

johnetone Member

Can we rename this thread the Through Zero Cockpit?

Jim Marciano likes this.
  3. Tootone

Tootone Member

The Mobius User Manual tells you how to set the TZ mode so it actually crosses zero. From memory, with Manual control at minimum, the flanger goes down to zero then comes back. Turning it up makes it cross further over zero. Try Manual at midway, so you get an even sweep either side of zero. Keep Speed really slow, and Depth at noon or less. Regen off or very low.

EDIT: If you're doing it right, the guitar should sound like its moving away into the far distance, getting "quieter and filtered", and will reach an "apex" where it turns and sounds like it is heading back towards you. What you are in fact hearing is a rapid doppler effect as the wet and dry set up and pass through rapidly narrowing comb-filters. Think of it as a wah that is not only creating a narrower band-pass, but where the centre frequency (Fq) is also moving.

If you stand back and think about it, a lot of what you hear, near and through zero, sounds more like a phaser than a flanger.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    eastern and thesjkexperienc like this.
  4. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

I’ll ask here - has anyone here yet compared the Thorpy Camoflange to the CBA Spectre (v1 or 2)?

slowerhand likes this.
  5. PedalCrazyFool

PedalCrazyFool Member

How’s that Behringer pedal? I really like their boxes, and that delay isn’t being sold any longer. Before going used I’d love to hear your take, and thanks in advance if you don’t mind!

6. S. F. Sorrow

S. F. Sorrow Member

Here's a French band from '68 with copious amounts of TZ tape flanging.

openbar, dirtytony and johnetone like this.
  7. S. F. Sorrow

S. F. Sorrow Member

It’s an Echo Park clone from what I can tell. Sounds great especially the tape mode. The modulation is tape like. Erratic like the El Cap. Only downside is some coloration when bypassed and the reverse is choppy.
    Excellent for a cheap pedal though. Stereo ping pong too!
    And yes it has tap tempo. The blinding blinking red/blue alternating LED lights up the room like a crime scene.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  8. dirtytony

dirtytony Member

9. Jim Marciano

Jim Marciano Supporting Member

Does anyone know why chase bliss discontinued the Spectre?

10. Lamby

Lamby Member

Poor sales, I believe.

Jim Marciano likes this.
  11. PhuzzphayzZ

PhuzzphayzZ Member

I was looking into this. Why yes, it's got the "two tape decks running in parallel with a dry kill". None of the demos really took advantage of this TZF sound tho... might be worth checking out... analog...

12. dirtytony

dirtytony Member

It could also work the mxr 4 knobs classic flanger or the ehx polychorus (always with a good amount of feedback/regen). My point is that you will always achieve more of an early van halen effect type than the heavy tape flanging you hear on records as I cant modify the Width (the flanging modulation area, left or right the zero) while playing unless someone has a roadie.. the most "woosh" (for lack of better words) is in my opinion on the knob left vs the zero but that is also where the flange sounds more like a fixed wah with those flat mids that I personally dont like.
    I think Strymon copied the effect in its sw and emulates that plainly so its a good replica but in person it feels like a flanging blanket put on your playing (like the difference between block and script logo phase 90s), however its effective.

Im just sharing my experience, Im no expert at all

13. PhuzzphayzZ

PhuzzphayzZ Member

One of the pedal makers mentioned already told me to look out for their new flanger which will "do" TZF properly... I sent them back asking questions like "is it analog"...

sometime this year...probably later...

Jim Marciano likes this.
  14. Jack DeVille

Jack DeVille Gold Supporting Member

Analog is better.
    And also more.
    So...

whateverdude and dirtytony like this.
  15. Sexpistol

Sexpistol Member

Why?

16. Jack DeVille

Jack DeVille Gold Supporting Member

Right?

17. PhuzzphayzZ

PhuzzphayzZ Member

I was just relaying what the folks in this Thread had been asking the FlangeGodz for.

"And also more"...you mean $$$ or "issues"?

fakeox likes this.
  18. mowatsmith

mowatsmith Member

Hey, that's me! Hard to believe that was eleven years ago. :eek: I like the idea of an ultimate Hendrix TZF shootout, though. My TZF2 is on loan in California right now, but maybe I'll see if I can get it back to start a vid after NAMM as I still have my Deco.

19. dirtytony

dirtytony Member

20. axdxm

axdxm Supporting Member

There are so many good offerings. I own and greatly prefer the Deco, and TZF isn't even its best trick.

fakeox likes this.