The tone of the ES-335

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Deluzion, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Deluzion

Deluzion Member

Being a lefty i cant really test many of these (well none but the one i ordered online). I have found one that i really like the tone of, i would describe it as a mid heavy, kinda LO-FI AM radio distorted tone, while still having some a great clean tone that is very articulate with lotsa bite and harmonic overtones. This guitar has some cosmetic and playability issues so im not sure if ti keep it since i like its tone so much. It sounds like the tone of the band Cakes distortion if i was to describe it and it fits my needs (perfectly). :dude

But my question is since i know every guitar has its own voice. If this could be characteristic of this particular guitar or do most ES-335 have this lofi overdriven tone and artuciculate but still mid heavy clean tone? (some might even call it boxy?)

2. Deluzion

Deluzion Member

seems a litrtle less midrange heavy then mine i guess, but its a different amp, so this doenst tell me if the ES-335 is in general a midrange heavy guitar at all tbh.

3. Neo

Neo Member

Most of the guitars Koch demoed for that store have that similar, tinny, midscooped tone, even the full hollow bodies, so I don't think the 335 he played is representative of all of them. Must be his seemingly light touch or amp settings, probably a combo of both for all those guitars he plays to sound so similar.

My es 333 does have that boxy,midheavy tone, even unplugged, kinda banjo-esque too, but based on what I've read on this forum there is a large variation of tone and build quality for the 335. If I were you I'd keep it because the likelihood of finding another 335 that sounds like yours is almost nil.

Maybe those issues you have with the guitar are covered by the Gibson warranty.

Most of my Gibsons have cosmetic issues; even my 2004 R7 has file marks on the fretboard I guess in an overzealous effort to roll the edges. Only my 2013 SG is cosmetically perfect.

4. goldtone

goldtone Member

"Most of the guitars Koch demoed for that store have that similar, tinny, midscooped tone, even the full hollow bodies, so I don't think the 335 he played is representative of all of them. Must be his seemingly light touch or amp settings, probably a combo of both for all those guitars he plays to sound so similar."

I agree. He is a great player and personaity, but I'm not a fan of the tone he gets in the Wildwood demos. Verry plinky, too much chicken picking to give a true representation of the guitar it self. More a demo of his sound, if that makes sense.

Again, seems like a great guy and is ridiculously talented. I just don't feel his sound best represents the true tone of the instrments either.

To the OP, if you feel the 335 fits your sound perfectly, I'd say get it. Make sure the issues you brought up can be corrected, however.

5. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Two thoughts:

These (ES-335) guitars (especially with this type of pickup) have to me so much variation, guitar to guitar. Unsettling, when you're trying to find the "right" one. Maybe I am looking for what is actually an "outlier" but nevertheless I am still stuck looking. By comparison a Strat of a certain model and features - they're basically all the same (so much more the same).

Otherwise, I'd say to you - Just flip the righties over and play them as best you can and you should be able to get enough of a sense of their sound and tonic personality.
    As a righty, I've tried lefty versions of certain guitars to get a sense of them.

In fact, I just love especially looking at left hand versions of guitars I think I already know. Amazing from the observers standpoint what becomes apparent in the "opposite" version from the one suited to the observer - be he a lefty player or a player of Righty guitars.

6. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

I've owned ones that are mid-heavy, and ones that are almost mid-scooped. There is little continuity from piece to piece, and no "one true" 335 sound.

If you like the guitar otherwise, I'd suggest a pickup swap. Something with a dip in the mids, like a Duncan 59. You will likely get a very different sound than what you're getting with 57 Classics (assuming that's what you have now)...

7. Deluzion

Deluzion Member

I like the tone both plugged in and unplugged, but the guitar came with some playability issues fret buzz and a A string that has the bridge moved all the way forward and still abit off in intonation (the slots in the bridge pieces are not cut in the middle so cant turn it around) Also the guitar came with checking in every in the binding at every fret. If it didnt like the tone so much and the fact that gibson stopped making them in lefty for 2015. And i cant find another cherry red one in EU. think i would have returned it for these issues. the fret buzz is ok now after some adjusting, and well the lackque checking in the binding, some say it happens to most gibsons sooner or later anyway?

Its a really expensive guitar so it should be 100% ok and its not but the most important(tone) is really great. i dont have many options if i want a ES335 especially in cherry..and also sounds like every Es335 can go from midrangy and boxy to scooped so maybe best to stick to what i have since i like its lofi boxy midrange but warm and articulate tone.. ... hmm i dunno..

8. 335guy

335guy Member

My 335 can get a wide variety of tones, depending on how I set my amp up. It can sound mid scooped, or mid heavy. The sound/tone can also be adjusted by raising or lowering the pickups and the tailpiece. What yr is the 335 you have?

9. sliberty

sliberty Member

I differ slightly with your priorities. I would say that the most important thing is the neck. Now, little things like fret buzz and intonation can be addressed, but one would hope that you don't need to do much with a new guitar to get it to play properly. First step would be to change the string(s). If the intonation is still an issue, return it.

As for tone, different guitars have different pickups. And as for electronics, Gibson doesn't always use the proper standard (500K audio pots and .022uF capacitors). This stuff can be changed. But if you can't bond with the neck, you can't fix that.

10. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

It's a Gibson, that's just how it is...usually on both points.

11. Deluzion

Deluzion Member

Its a Memphis built 2012

12. jcs

jcs Member

Plenty of great 335 copies too.

They ARE all over the place tonewise, but why not own more than one?

I am down to 2 right now, an 80's Japan lawsuit copy with ultra clean Bill Lawrence pickups and a Korean Epi 335 dot which I have changed the pickups several times, right now a 70's T Top in the bridge & Dimarzio humbucker from hell (think Gretsch clean) in the neck....love both too.

Yamaha makes some great 335 types as do other companies.

I could EASILY own 6 or 8 ES-335 types!!

One with P-90's, another with hotter PAF types.....maybe really heavy strings on one.

Trini Lopez is another great option.....Dave Grohl loves em.
    I love em!

13. mcgruff

mcgruff Senior Member

They'll sound like whatever pickups you put in them and whatever amp/cab you play them through.

14. Beam Tetrode

Beam Tetrode Member

In my experience 335 variation is apparent even when playing unplugged. I've owned 335s that rocked clear, ringing piano bass like a solidbody. Had other 335s that produced nothing but boxy thud lofi jazz tone.

15. mcgruff

mcgruff Senior Member

Did they all have the same pickups...?

16. Beam Tetrode

Beam Tetrode Member

Yes, all '57 Classics. But as I said, the differences were apparent in the acoustic resonance. Playing totally unplugged.