• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

The Tone Quest Is Over... CP Thornton & Little Walter Tube Amps

jaystrings

I kinda understand Dan's comments above. I've never been a Gibson fan, but I have found 2 Gibsons I like & find time to play a bit now & then. One is a '61 ES-125 & the other is a Melody Maker Special. Fun, but no replacement for my CpTs. In fact, one of the reasons I like them is because they are the only 2 Gibsons I've found in 40 years that I actually enjoyed playing and hearing. I also have a few old G&Ls from the 80's that I keep for sentimental reasons and consider them keepers, too. Can't give 'em up, so I just give 'em a little luv from time to time.

jaystrings

Love the looks and thoughtful improvements, Chuck has made, and will eventually own at least one. Currently longing for a Professional...

Man, I hear ya on that Professional. I kinda go back & forth about which model is THE most versatile. It's between the Professional & the Legend Special to my ears. I can't explain ti fully, but I lean towards the LS; that is, until I play the Professional again. The only thing that makes sense to me is that I kinda always have leaned more to solidbodies than semi's. I will have to say that most non-CpT owners who have played my Professional & at least one of my Legend Specials, tend to choose the Professional. I also think it is interesting that the 2 most beautiful guitars I have ever seen anywhere 1n 40 years are also my 2 faves from a tone versatility standpoint: my quilted mahogany Legend Special & my honeyburst Professional.

No way to lose on this one.

Jay

jjkuz

These guitars through these amps is really everything (and more) than I will ever need!!! I have more guitars and more amps, but really if these guitars through a couple of great pedals into this pair of '67 Blackface amps can't give me what I need, it probably should not be played.

jaystrings

These guitars through these amps is really everything (and more) than I will ever need!!!

Ohhhh, those are heart-melting works of art - including the amps. I am going to admit that I cannot actually hear a clear, defendable difference using every CpT thru my Little Walter vs my wonderful Fender Deluxe Reverb. I just don't think tone can get any better than what I'm hearing thru both these amps.

But in the last few days, I'm actually beginning to hear something uniquely sweet when my CpT HTL [identical twin to yours] is into my Little Walter 22W. I have never heard my HTL - or any other single coils guitar - sound any better through any amp. I have fallen even more deeply in love with my HTL & I just didn't think that was possible. I've always favored Tele-style bodies & semihollows to Strat style guitars. The HTL/LW pairing has caused me to appreciate my HTL in new ways. I think it just opened up another sweet spot or something. That's why the FDR & LW are both keepers.

There were people who offered to buy my HTL on the spot just hearing it thru my FDR. I know 3 who have ordered an HTL because of mine and 3 who will be. Also, LW builder [Phil Bradbury] finished playing my HTL thru his 22W & ordered one exactly like it the next day.

My friend, in those 3 guitars & 2 amps, you surely hold Tone Heaven. You truly do have more than any of us will ever need and more. Thanks for showing us your harem.

Jay

fcapek

I am writing this thread in support of CP Thornton Guitars and Little Walter Tube Amps.

My tone quest is over! I am serious in absolute love with the quality, design, innovation, sound, and feel of these instruments and amplifiers.

As a professional musician and music teacher, I've owned and played just about all of the holy grail of instruments and amps, including an original 1952 Fender Telecaster, 1949 Gibson L-5, 1952 Gibson Les Paul Gold Top Dr. Z's, 65 Amps, Carr Amps, Fuchs, Badcats, etc, etc, etc, and these guitars/amps take the cake! I've never played or heard a better combination. I have sold all my other instruments/amps and play exclusively CP Thornton Guitars and Little Walter Amps. I'm about to order my 3rd Thornton and my 2nd Little Walter.

I have a close contact with both builders, and can get any of you guys in touch with them if needed.

I'm very interested in any tonal comparisons you can make for the Little Walter amp. I'll have to do some searching to find one to try out. How would you describe the tone? What does it sound like? I've been rationalizing the amps I've been using / keeping recently. I really look for amps that have great clarity and don't loose that clarity when you drive them. Cheers, Frank

jaystrings

I'm very interested in any tonal comparisons you can make for the Little Walter amp. I'll have to do some searching to find one to try out. How would you describe the tone? What does it sound like? I've been rationalizing the amps I've been using / keeping recently. I really look for amps that have great clarity and don't loose that clarity when you drive them. Cheers, Frank

If you look for an amp that has great clarity without losing it's clarity & sweetness with pedals [or with all the pedals I've tried so far, which include chorus, delay, OCD, compressor, several clean boosts, trem, about all except a heavy metal or wah - which I have no needs for]. What I've found is that adding compression is hardly noticeable & overdriving it doesn't ruin the sweetness.

There are several Little Walter amp models; I have the 22W with 1 x 12. Ryan, who started this thread, has a 15W plus a 22W with a 2 x 12 cab. I like the extra headroom with the 22W; the bass & steel like the additional headroom of the 50W & 80W models.

One really nice thing about them is that they work SO well in a studio AND on stage. Very impressive with either, which is why I believe there are so many touring & studio musicians in Nashville grabbing them like hotcakes. If you want to hear some good contrasts, go to the LW site & hear Vince Gill playing his against some other musicians like Keith Urban, Clapton, etc.

After getting my LW, I immediately sold my Bad Cat 50W & Dr Z Maz 18 because of the clarity & sweetness differences that even I could hear. My Fuchs ODS30, Fender Vibro King, & Mesa TA-15 are going on the block for the same reasons. I still have a Carr Rambler, Chicago Blues Box, & '78 Fender Deluxe Reverb that I'm hanging onto, but the reasons are more for sentimentality than sonic. My LW is at the head of the heap.

Hey, you live in Atlanta. I'm less than 2 hrs away, & Ryan is in the next town over. There is nowhere you can drive - other than to Nashville - where you can test your fave amp against one of ours & hear how much better your fave axe sounds.

Email me back & we'll set up a date for you to do that. I'm retired, living on Lake Hartwell - so come on up. Or wait until I visit my relatives, who all live in Atlanta. And between us, Ryan & I have about every Cp Thornton model.

artguy47

Ol' CuRmUGeOn
These guitars through these amps is really everything (and more) than I will ever need!!! I have more guitars and more amps, but really if these guitars through a couple of great pedals into this pair of '67 Blackface amps can't give me what I need, it probably should not be played.

Awww, you are killing me! Have a great old SFDR, now looking for something with a bit more meat on it, though must admit, my best guitars, sound amazing with the Fender.

Now to get a Professional! Been sniffing around the LW and Jim Kelly of late. Wish I could use the Sl-68, as Thorn sounded amazing with his Yaron on the video, but 100w is too much amp for my current playing situation...

jaystrings

Unless you dipped that SFDR in the fountain of youth, it's a '73, not a '78! ;)

I stand corrected. It IS a '73.

Man, my fingers are sore!! And my memory is only thinking about going up there & plugging into that FDR right now. That thang might as well become friends with the LW, because they are both going to be here till the end.

jaystrings

http://s240.photobucket.com/user/jjkuz/media/Thornton Improv/Image_3518.jpg.html
http://s240.photobucket.com/user/jj...ite/ccdd82712f8bf559a446fd8af4965116.jpg.html
http://s240.photobucket.com/user/jjkuz/media/Thornton Fusion/WImage_1072_700_zps0dccacb0.jpg.html

Oh, man. Just seeing your Fender amps & CpT's made me go plug into my Deluxe Reverb. You are SO right - Fender amps sure do something magical to a CpT semihollow...........

jjkuz

Oh, man. Just seeing your Fender amps & CpT's made me go plug into my Deluxe Reverb. You are SO right - Fender amps sure do something magical to a CpT semihollow...........

I see you have a Carr Rambler. I traded a great Carr Rambler for the '67 Deluxe Reverb. It was hard to let the Carr go, but honestly, I have never looked back. A lot people try to compare the Carr Rambler to a Deluxe Reverb, but as you know they may be related but they aren't siblings. A lot of different tones can be had from the Rambler, but it still can't give the Fender Deluxe exactness.... then again your version may vary.

jaystrings

I see you have a Carr Rambler. I traded a great Carr Rambler for the '67 Deluxe Reverb. It was hard to let the Carr go, but honestly, I have never looked back. A lot people try to compare the Carr Rambler to a Deluxe Reverb, but as you know they may be related but they aren't siblings. A lot of different tones can be had from the Rambler, but it still can't give the Fender Deluxe exactness.... then again your version may vary.

I would hate, hate, hate to choose between the Rambler & the FDR. If it ever came to it, I'd have to hang onto the FDR. Like you, there are few things in life as satisfying as a FDR. It is my favorite Fender model.

Ryan Stancil

I am currently selling both of my CP Thornton Classics. One in Sunburst, One in Black Velvet. Both have the Nashville pickup installed.

iim7v7im7

I am currently waiting for my Professonal to be built by Chuck for delivery next January. It won't be coupled to a Little Walter or a FDR but to my Redplate Blackverb which is the best amp that I have owned in terms of versatility of tones.

blackVerbfront.jpg

blackverbback.jpg

Ryan Stancil

I do have to note that in my opinion; CP Thornton guitars are the best guitars money can buy in terms of quality, durability, and just plain ol' eye candy. The reason I'm selling is for personal reasons and not for any jab at Chuck's guitars. He is a fantastic guy to work with and builds one hell of a guitar. I'd recommend them to even the most discriminating player.

-R

Trending Topics

Top Bottom