The Tone-Suck Strikes Back

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by markplaysguitar, Feb 28, 2012.

1. markplaysguitar

markplaysguitar Member

I came to the terrible realization today that I am experiencing tone suck in my rig. I plugged straight in, guitar > amp, and I realized how much I'm missing when I play through my pedalboard. Amp came alive, yada yada...
    Here's the thing: I went through pedal by pedal, expecting the SD-1 (with it's notorious Boss buffer) to be the problem. NOT SO! The biggest offender was the Morning Glory! I did some tone-suck comparisons with my three pedals.

guitar > flashback (tb mode) > amp: quite clear and pristine, not really a discernable difference from guitar > amp.

guitar > SD-1 > amp: Slight high end roll-off.

guitar > MG > amp: Quite muddy...High end prescence and general clarity lost.

WHAT'S UP WITH THAT?

2. chervokas

chervokas Member

I dunno that seems odd the MG is supposed to have true bypass switching, with it in line and turned off it shouldn't be any different than with the flashback in true bypass mode switched off alone in line. Sounds like some problem with the pedal.

3. markplaysguitar

markplaysguitar Member

I opened it up and looked - the wiring is very neat and the solders SEEM fine...I suppose there could be a cold solder?

4. tylermoss

tylermoss Member

that's odd, my MG works perfectly fine in line, no suck. how does it sound like this?

guitar > SD1 > MG > amp

have you tried a few different cables?

5. jes89

jes89 Member

the only problem with my MG is that it introduces a little hum in the circuit... Good luck

6. toast487

toast487 Member

I also have a morning glory. I've never noticed tone suck with it. As the above said, it does introduce some hum for whatever reason. But that's all I've noticed.

7. amz-fx

amz-fx Supporting Member

That's not tone suck, and there is probably nothing wrong with the buffer... a guitar's pickups and the input capacitance of the amp interact to product a high freq peak in the sound. The SD-1 buffer provides a constant low impedance output that removes the peak, which is heard as a bit of high end loss. :) Most buffers would do the same.

regards, Jack

8. markplaysguitar

markplaysguitar Member

That's my usual setup, plus the flashback...it shouldn't be the cables, since guitar>flashback>amp is MUCH closer to guitar>amp than guitar>MG>amp is.

:drown<-"help me, i'm drowning in an ocean of tone loss!"

At least this is an excuse to look at other OD pedals. :p I'm considering selling the offensive MG and grabbing an RC booster or something.