• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

The Tragically Hip Know Tone!!!

Bradmeister

I'm just surfing the web and re-acquainting myself with Tragically Hip. I loved them back in the day, but lost touch with their output. Upon checking out their latest album, it seems they haven't lost all those lovely guitar tones. I always thought it was great, and they don't disappoint.

Oh, and the songs are still good, too. ;-)

whackystrings

Although my covers band rarely does a Hip song, their tones are a watermark for me. If I deviate too far from it and Mike Campbell's tones, it likely won't work well with my band's sound. Nice to see that there is some Hiplove outside of Canuckia.

Tempted to design a t-shirt:

~ The Tragically Hip ~
All growl, no fizz
...and lots of Gordon Downie!

Bradmeister

There was a LOT of airplay here in Austin on the rock station for New Orleans is Sinking and several songs from Road Apples and Fully Completely. I saw the FC tour here, but only bought a couple of albums after that.

They were a great live band. I just got annoyed at a little too much banter from Gordie. I would love to see them again, but it seems they haven't been down south in the US for quite some time.

I'm really digging We Want to Be It from the latest album.

Last edited:

Crowder

Dang Twangler
Silver Supporting Member
I got their anthology last year. Lots of great stuff.

TubeStack

Silver Supporting Member
I have a soft spot for the Hip, though I don't listen to them much, these days. We do "So Hard Done By" in our blues rock trio, always goes over well.

My favourite albums are Road Apples and Phantom power.

Was looking at some new vinyl pressings of Hip the other day, would love to pick some up, but $55 a record is ridiculous.

JimmyB

Gold Supporting Member
I've been a fan since Gord still had hair! :rotflmao

Small Town Bringdown from their '87 EP:

Of course, my favourite is always going to be Nautical Disaster:

Goosebumps. Every. Single. Time. :eek:

fredgarvin

Great band that should have been bigger here. I saw them at the Key largo in Portlan when they were on their second album, and again the next year. Hard workers too.

Crowder

Dang Twangler
Silver Supporting Member
So, how many guitarists do they have live? Most of the anthology cuts seem pretty layered.

TB72

I believe that for the most part, they've been dismissed in the U.S as kind of a "Low-rent REM". That's a bit of a shame, as there's much more to these guys.

Some to see a bit of Hip love from the lower 48.

skillet

I believe that for the most part, they've been dismissed in the U.S as kind of a "Low-rent REM". That's a bit of a shame, as there's much more to these guys.

Some to see a bit of Hip love from the lower 48.
I've been a Hip fan since the early-90s and have been fortunate enough to see them live 3x now. I used to date someone that referred to The Hip as a "wannabe REM." Note I said I 'used to date' this person. ;)

Custom50

Great band! I seriously didn't think anyone outside of Canada listened to them (or Sloan, another great band btw) happy I'm wrong!

bagpipe

Good thread. I'm lucky: I enjoy both REM and the Hip. One of my favourite Hip tracks with great guitar tone:

ahab

I don't see the Hip - REM comparison. The Tragically Hip have so much blues influence and I couldn't imagine REM even gesturing towards that sound.

Day for Night, Road Apples, and Fully Completely are fantastic albums to my ears. I saw them years ago in a relatively small club and they were great.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom