the truth about vinyl

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Radar, Sep 9, 2019.

1. pickdropper

pickdropper Supporting Member

I have to say that the Linn vs. VPI argument is a refreshing change of pace from the Gibson vs Fender argument. It’s always good to keep things fresh.

Funky54 and Beano Addict like this.
  2. Beano Addict

Beano Addict Member

More like vintage VS modern but you're so right. :)

So many brands, models, designs in this hobby that it's impossible to sample everything so you pick & choose based on the criteria important to you. For me, I wanted a simple one. My candidates were initially the VPI Traveler, then the Marantz TT15S1, then the Well-Tempered Amadeus, then the VPI Prime. The common theme was simplicity and no need to upgrade or fiddle around with them. I've had them all except for the Amadeus which is an intriguing TT. All were good but at easily distinguishable levels. I attribute that to their designs, materials, and their implementation.

3. Funky54

Funky54 Member

I really could care less what Stereophile or absolute sounds reviewers say. Linn is held in very high regard over at SHF and audiokarma. They still have a very strong following. What works for one doesn’t work for another. I’m sure your linn is great!

4. frankg11

frankg11 Member

All you turntable fans, I have a usb/pre-amp audio-technica. I currently have it connected to a set of powered speakers. Which make three sets in my office. I want to use the set that are attached to my mac and connect it to soundTouch for my bose systems.

What ideas to all you have to accomplish this without having to connect wires. I have been looking into a bluetooth transmitter that might work. I just don't know enough about this class of device.

And yes I like my vinyl and for what it's worth I use a product called: Gruve Glide on my records. It's uses after cleaning and one application last for several plays. I like it and it seems to work well.

5. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

here is the truth about vinyl.
    i dig it.
    now, get off of my lawn.

6. Funky54

Funky54 Member

I’m glad you’re enjoying it. I really don’t dabble in your application. I might suggest an RF solution. There are several adaptors and gizmos that could transmit your audio via RF and then another gizmo to receive and convert into an input on your Bose. Maybe rocket fish? I’d maybe look for something other than Bluetooth.

frankg11 likes this.
  7. Beano Addict

Beano Addict Member

Honestly quite unbelievable how emotional you get over an inanimate object. I suggested letting go but you're like a pitbull with its jaws clenched. It's just a damn turntable, dude. Get over it already. Sheesh...

8. Beano Addict

Beano Addict Member

What's the point of playing vinyl on entry-level gear then digitizing it and broadcasting its compressed signal?

If you really want to have this kind of setup, just digitize your LPs from the get-go. You'll avoid having to play your records and you'll have the advantage of creating playlists. Or,... stick to digital where all of this is already done and it'll sound just fine and spare you all that trouble.

9. freedomspec

freedomspec Member

The crackling is part of what makes it feel homely and warm to me. Reminds me of sitting by a fire and hearing the wood crackling away. This is probably also why I feel vinyl music through valves feels 'warm'.

10. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

I am honestly sorry if I came across that way. I wasn't trying to drag you into an endless debate. I figured we were just responding to one another.

Beano Addict likes this.
  11. Funky54

Funky54 Member

What Beano Addict was conveying is that the process your trying to use defeats the advantages of vinyl records. He's right but I didn't want to discourage you from enjoying records. Sooner or later you'll put s bit more money into the hobby and the issue will be irrelevant. I have a friend who started with a table just like yours. He got nice improvements by buying a new ortophone blue mm cart and he stopped using the built in preamp and got a stereo receiver with a better phono preamp. It wasn't a lot more money but it did make a big improvement.

You could buy a Yaqin ms23b phono amp and some JJ 12Ax7 tubes and then plug that into your Bose for a nice upgrade. You MUST swap the stock tubes out that come in the yaqin, they are horrible.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    frankg11 likes this.
  12. Funky54

Funky54 Member

The "cracking" is dirt and such. It shouldn't be there. If you look into cleaning your records and stylus (needle) and then quickly for a few turns run a disc washer brush over your records before playing 99% of that goes away. It also makes the background quieter and protects your records and stylus so they last longer.

BlackStrat_Fan likes this.
  13. frankg11

frankg11 Member

Funky54 -- trying not to turn the turntable interest in to a GAS attack.

I had that with Guitars for 10 years. I have a lot o gear
    GAS with Cameras... Too Much there
    GAS with Mtb Bikes .. Lots o $$$$ hanging from the garage ceiling.

I won't, i won't do this. OMG - I just remember I have a Receiver not being used in the closet. oh no!!!!