the truth about vinyl

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Radar, Sep 9, 2019 at 5:51 PM.

1. taez555

taez555 Member

The funny thing is a big part of the reason I got (back) into was vinyl because it was so much cheaper than buying CD's.

I grew up with my parents vinyl collection in the 80's, but then somewhere around Jr High the CD revolution hit and that's all I bought for near 20 years. Then after college around 2000 I was browsing used record stores and seeing vinyl albums for $1 each. And of course there were hundreds of artists I always wanted to check out, but couldn't afford to throw down $10 per album on. So I got a decent record player, and next thing you know I have the entire discography from the 70's of Rush, Billy Joel, ZZ Top, etc... for the price each of one CD.

Then all the sudden used prices starting going through the freakin' roof. That $1 record is now $30 on ebay. WTF.

Oh well.. I still buy new albums from time to time when they're released on vinyl, but honestly the original pressing from the 70's of most still sound better than these 180 gram $50 a pop re-re-re-masters.

2. Bankston

Bankston Supporting Member

Saw an article within the last week that said vinyl is outselling CDs.

But streaming and downloads eclipse both of them by a long shot.

3. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

i’ve been spinning vinyl since the early ‘60’s, and still own the records. i can’t think of ONE of my records that is “worn out”. they sound great on a basic system, and greater on upgraded gear.

PS. we have a jazz radio station here that puts out a high quality signal. it’s very common for a piece to catch my ear sound quality wise, and upon closer listening, it’s clearly vinyl.

it may be nostalgia, or it may be all in my head (where else would it be???), but there is something to a recording that was done with a completely tube signal chain, mics included, and played back on a tube system. it’s ok to disbelieve this. i believe.

adolan and Rockinrob86 like this.
  4. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

Having listened to vinyl on a wind up gramophone, 78's, 45's, 33lp's, 6 transistor radio, cassette, RtR, 8 track, cd, mp3...., I'm pretty happy with the current state of no fuss push-button and it goes, music availability and sound quality that is at least ok.
    I'd rather work on music than go deep into playback systems.

bodolza likes this.
  5. cra1987

cra1987 Member

In light of having an overwhelming amount of music with me at all times (phone) for $9.99 a month, there is something romantic about the limitation with vinyl. Pick something I own, put it on, sit in one spot, listen to the whole side, flip it or put another one on...

It’s not that expensive if you got into it at the right time, and aren’t obsessive over setup. Half my collection was from my dad, and the other half was probably all $10 or less collected in my 20s (early 2010s)...I will agree it is trending toward being too expensive these days and I rarely ever buy new records.

6. weedzzz

weedzzz Member

I don’t really collect vinyl anymore and ended up selling them

One thing I will say for it is that I probably listened to more albums all the way through with vinyl (and CD). I use steaming services now mostly and I’m more likely to start flicking through other music and change.

As for quality, does Apple Music sound any better or worse then Vinyl? I don’t know because it sounds perfectly good enough to enjoy the music either way.

I do like having a physical copy though and having the artwork there on a vinyl sleeve.

I used to love CD booklets too, being a young teenager and sitting on the tube or bus reading the CD booklet of an album I just bought, excited to get home, wondering what the songs sounded like. I do think you appreciate it much more that way.

scribbler likes this.
  7. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

Fetish.

8. MattDawg5

MattDawg5 Member

For my collection, I like buying vinyl versions of some of my favorite records/artists, then when they're out on tour, I try to get them signed by the band. Once signed, pop them in an album frame and turn them into wall art.

9. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

You'd think someone with a taste for Macallan and high end turntables would avoid colored vinyl...

10. TheMindful

TheMindful Member

Vinyl is great. It's the ritual. Sound wise I always felt like they sounded much more dynamic/dimensional than CD's, which sound like a brick wall of sound. But CD's have the edge on covering the widest frequency range, so there's a trade-off.

CD's in my car get me through the day but it's like paying half attention, records at home I can really get tuned in and more fully experience it.

ZeyerGTR likes this.
  11. UrbanHymns

UrbanHymns Supporting Member

Here's the one thing I'll say about vinyl. OK, two things:

1. You own physical copies of the music that hold (some) value. I'm not gonna pay for an mp3 somebody bought on iTunes, but I will pay for a record they bought at the local shop.

2. It's an experience I enjoy. Host a dinner party and see what people wanna know more about: your vinyl collection or your Pandora playlist.

I won't get into the sound quality debate. Every format - vinyl, CD, mp3 - has some benefit.

12. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC Member

I like vinyl, and I have some select albums that I really enjoy, but I don't prefer it over CD. Vinyl definitely has a sound, and that warmth has it's draw, but generally I prefer the crisper, more extended highs that come with CD, as well as the lower noise floor.

Vinyl's warmth was (is) a benefit when playing it over sub-par speakers that had higher amounts of odd order distortion that cause listener fatigue. On a system with good quality, low distortion speakers, I prefer the resolution and detail of CD, DVD-A and SACD.

13. Lance

Lance Member

I'll easily take 24/96 flac files on 2 TB hard drive, thanks. Way more capabilities. And when you turn vinyl up loud it skips because of the vibration SPL in the air.

14. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Member

Me too! I have probably 3K records, basically all the classic rock, tons of indie rock, blues, a growing jazz section. a large part of that was NM old albums at $1-$3 each!

All of these issues you guys are describing - clicks, pops, skipping, SPL induced feedback, go away with a properly set up good turntable. My main one is a Thorens TD145 with an Audio Technica VM540ML cart, and I am running a modified ST70 based tube stereo with Klipsch Chorus II speakers - it sounds awesome at any volume, and I can play turned up painfully loud without any issues. Like jamming along with a drumset and being able to hear the guitars and vocals clearly loud.

Great gear can be found on a budget if you keep your eyes out. My turntable was $60, amp rig is hard to judge because I built it, but I have an excellent Luxman R117 that was $100 at a pawn shop, and the speakers were $150 on CL. This stuff will play with a several thousand dollar stereo system easily.

A great lower priced, easily tweakable turntable is an AR-XA

jimijimmyjeffy likes this.
  15. TopJimmy5150

TopJimmy5150 Member

Are you sure it was vinyl? Your typical wind up gramophone had a disposable needle (not stylus) and had about 9 ounces of tracking force that would tear up the grooves on a vinyl record. They used those hard, shellac records.

Tone_Terrific likes this.
  16. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

I love my iPod....>20K songs in my shirt pocket!

But it just can't "clean weed" like Yessongs or The White Album or All Things Must Pass... :)

tnvol likes this.
  17. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

You are absolutely right.
    There was a package of needles with it, and if you dropped a record it would shatter.

18. Tri Pedal Reviews

Tri Pedal Reviews Member

I actually liked the inconvenience of music in general back in the day, whether CD or Vinyl. You'd go to record stores and look through tons of stuff. You'd hope they had whatever you were looking for. You appreciated things for the art as well as the music (especially before you had the ability to preview any of the music). You'd attend release parties at midnight for certain things you wanted. It was a limited quantity. If you got something, you appreciated it. To listen, you need to go grab something physical and put it into a player.

I like vinyl for the same reasons, but even more so than CD's because like tape's, there are sides and you have to flip it. So if I'm listening to a record it means I very much want to listen to it, I'm more present while listening to it and I'm enjoying it more at the time. I also don't have the ability to just hit a button and automatically go to the next song, so chances are I'm enjoying the album as a whole. Not individual bits and pieces.

guff and jimijimmyjeffy like this.
  19. Duffy Pratt

Duffy Pratt Member

Back when LPs were the norm, audiophiles sang the praises of good reel to reel systems. Now there was some really good inconvenience and expense. But if you must use a turntable, shellac 78s are far superior to vinyl. They shatter if you look at them wrong; the holes are often too tight a fit for the spindle, and they have a delightful background noise.

20. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

Vinyl always sounded better to me, from day 1. CDs are more convenient. Cassette tapes were just fine, if recorded properly with proper tapes.

But vinyl was actually always cheaper than CDs, until it became this vintage hip thing. Now that the trust fund hipsgters are into it, it has to be premium priced. For the longest time albums were 7 bucks or so. And good turntables were $100. I got a good one for $80-90. And records on sale were $4 or so.