the truth about vinyl

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Radar, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

All I can say is, thank God for young fellows like you who live in the vinyl fantasy world. I make good money from you. About a year and a half ago I bought out a collection of rock era vinyl, much of which is stuff that is a bit hard to find now, it is all in mint + condition, the jackets look like they just had the plastic taken off of them and many of them are first pressings.
    I plan to sell much of it off this winter when I have time to sort it and list it, and make quite a hefty profit from guys like you and guys who believe the nonsense guys like you spew.
    Actually, I drive nice cars, and pay cash for them. Not something I normally feel to reveal but in your case I am making an exception for the obvious reason.
    Keep on being madly in love with yourself, and please, get me some customers with your vinyl rhetoric.
    You are the perfect example of how money cannot buy intelligence or common sense. Or social skills.

2. pickdropper

pickdropper Supporting Member

I’m still interested in a white paper on the technology. CES innovation awards are great (I’m very familiar with them), but sometimes you need to dig a bit deeper.

Sorry to hear that he’s passed away.

3. guitarlifestyle

guitarlifestyle I like guitars. Silver Supporting Member

4. 71strat

71strat Member

5. Badtone

Badtone Supporting Member

The thing with something like trinaural is it distorts the record; what I mean is that artist, engineer and producer spent hours crafting a stereo presentation of their product using two channels/speakers with all of their inherent “mathematical flaws”. Playing it back through any different means changes this presentation. If three channel media was available and the record was mixed and mastered for three channel playback, and one had a dicrete three channel system it could awesome; but it isn’t and we don’t. I want to listen to the artists intentions, not an electronically enhanced version thereof...

6. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Got this turntable for $20 at a tag sale back in the 90's. Turns out its a direct drive kit from the 70's but more interesting it has a Mayware Formula IV tonearm and ADC XLM cart on it.
    Yeah had to research that on the audiophile forums...

[​IMG]

7. fataxeman

fataxeman Supporting Member

Cool looking table. I don't think it's a Techincs. First letter seems to be a "N". So, what you got there sir?

8. Beano Addict

Beano Addict Member

You missed the point entirely. As usual. At least, you're consistent. Oh, and good luck selling your LPs. You won't even know what pressings you have so no one will be willing to give you more than $1 each. :D

9. Beano Addict

Beano Addict Member

That's what happens when you have someone who, in guitar terms, spouts that a Peavey Rage is awesome and that buying a SuperBass Marshall stack is a waste of money, then gets called on it by someone obviously more knowledgeable, then his ego prevents him from accepting reality.

It's his MO in every thread. Hilarious in a way. It's a degree of shamelessness that I can't even fathom, being schooled with such regularity, yet never tiring of it. :bonk

Thedude99 and Badtone like this.
  10. pickdropper

Not exactly a technical white paper , but I took a quick pass at it

It basically seems to create a phantom center channel. Probably interesting in its time. Not really necessary for two channel playback, though. Maybe better for off-axis listeners.

Badtone and Beano Addict like this.
  11. pickdropper

And it’s difficult not to respond, but maybe that’s the best idea. Hopefully nobody assumes any degree of accuracy.

Badtone and Beano Addict like this.
  12. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Oh -its a Netronics 450D. A very early direct drive that came as a kit. $105 without arm in 1976. Featured in popular Mechanics June 76 issue -see link below

https://books.google.com/books?id=aOIDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA81&lpg=PA81&dq=netronics+turntable&source=bl&ots=NzNREeYyTe&sig=akZL_EbTCZQzuu_enZ8Oma4HrLQ&hl=en&sa=X&ei=96CeVK7EDYPxoATBrIDABw&ved=0CB4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=netronics turntable&f=false

Badtone likes this.
  13. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

Son, I know more about record collecting and how to read pressings and inscriptions on them than anyone I know, and no doubt far more than you. Your attempts to talk down to your intellectual superiors just because you think you know something about vinyl only makes you look foolish.
    And, I get far more than the garage sale prices you pay for your worn out old vinyl.
    Don't bother to respond to this, I only suffer fools for so long.

AND, as I say, compared to CDs, vinyl sucks.

14. Beano Addict

Beano Addict Member

The entertainment I'd get watching you get picked apart by hundreds if you posted your BS on an audiophile forum like the Steve Hoffman Forum would be priceless. Please subscribe! There are mixing engineers, mastering engineers, recording artists, hardware designers, and all other types there. I'm sure we could all stand to learn from your delusional wizdumb [sic]. ;)

15. pickdropper

I wish they would reissue some of Hoffman’s DCC remasters. There are a few I missed the first time around.

Beano Addict likes this.
  16. Beano Addict

Beano Addict Member

Some have been re-released but on other labels without any fanfare. Two CCR albums, VH1, 3 jazz albums, and there might be more but that's what I remember off the top of my head.

Funky54 and pickdropper like this.
  17. noley

noley Frequently Mistaken for Fabio Silver Supporting Member

I have about 400 albums but they never get played. Lots of good ones from the 60’s and 70’s unfortunately none of them are on this list except for a beat up copy of Sgt. Pepper's...

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/50-valuable-vinyl-records-in-the-world/

And here’s a tidbit from the article:

“According to the latest report from the Recording Industry Association of America, vinyl records earned $224.1 million (on 8.6 million units) in the first half of 2019 and the figure continues to rise.”

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  18. Traintrack

Traintrack Coolest Member Award Aug 2009 Silver Supporting Member

I love Vinyl, feel sorry that some people have hearing issues and are so handicapped that they can't hear how great it sounds. Luck of the draw with this thing called life.

Love that guy from Mars, priceless! :cool: Don't bother to respond to this, I only suffer fools for so long. :cool:

ethandt and Beano Addict like this.
  19. pickdropper

While I certainly dig vinyl (and have quite a bit of it), I’m curious if the sales figures will continue to grow once it isn’t a hipster trend. It’s been popular with audiophiles for years, but that didn’t stop people from giving/throwing away their collections in be 90’s.

noley likes this.
  20. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Vinyl sound sucks...it's nowhere NEAR as good as Edison Cylinders...

scott58 likes this.