the truth about vinyl

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Radar, Sep 9, 2019.

1. scott58

scott58 Member

I'll never stop listening to vinyl.

Funky54, HeavyCream, yfeefy and 4 others like this.
  2. noley

noley Frequently Mistaken for Fabio Silver Supporting Member

Maybe. :dunno That number is just new releases and re-releases. I would bet that more used records are being bought/sold than new.

3. pickdropper

pickdropper Supporting Member

Well, that was definitely the case back in the late 90's and early 2000's. In Chicago, there was always a healthy 2nd hand vinyl market. The prices were lower back then, however. ;-)

I hope that vinyl really has made a comeback, but I suspect it's nostalgia and hipster enthusiasm more than anything. I'd be totally fine with being wrong.

Terry Hayes, ZeyerGTR and noley like this.
  4. KHAN

KHAN Member

I moved on many years ago. Memories of youth, and the feeling of putting on records of my favorite artists and getting lost in the artwork are very strong and positive memories. My love for music and playing guitar were forged back then. But I have no interest in going back.

If you're in to it, have at it. All the criticism of each other for personal preference is just stupid.

Badtone, Rio and Moby Dick like this.
  5. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

I called this digititus, it actually exhausts you..
    Also, I understand that Mobile Fidelity sound and the like make great pressings. But what about the new $20+ ablums you see at used record stores, guitar center? This album is an example of sonic wonder with every song on the album a gem.I had the original pressing. That is a pinnacle of how good vinyl can sound and it wasn't a premium pressing from msfl and the like.

My camp, Vinyl sounds best, but in order for me to go back, I need disposable income. I would need an experienced maid to clean, maintain,play an album when I ask, and manage the records. I would have $30,000+ OH hell $130,000+ analog system, turntable, cd/hi end DAC. I'd have a designated listening room. Long of short, I can't do that, I can't afford to do an analog like that, so, CD's. I'd prefer the Album any day aurally, but the mountain to climb for each album is a lil bit much and that maid better not scratch anything.

6. amigo30

amigo30 Member

There are some very wrong statements in this thread. Very wrong.

I've always found it curious why people are willing to decide and loudly proclaim that they're audio experts when they've had such limited experience, yet they don't try to pretend they're rocket propulsion experts, or global finance experts or other things that they've had limited experience with.

Buying a stock doesn't make somebody a hedge-fund manager, yet it seems buying a pair of Bose 40 years ago does make somebody an audio equipment expert.

It's a strange phenomenon.

Terry Hayes and Beano Addict like this.
  7. Funky54

Funky54 Member

So... I take it you listen to your phone?

8. amigo30

amigo30 Member

I'm in the high-end audio business. I listen to the best sh!t on earth on a daily basis.

mule train likes this.
  9. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

Vinyl rules!!!!! Always has, always will IMO!!! I'm 52 years old & my 2 kids (5 /12 & 9 yo) listen to more vinyl than anyone their age I'm sure. Through a decent system (NAD amp w/Infinity Speakers) we still (I foolishly got rid of 100s of LPs about 20 years ago) have a solid variety of styles in the form of about 300 LPs or so.

Through my system, even my wife (who is the greatest) can hear a noticeable difference. WAY warmer, more full bodied, richer, that the ridiculous 00000000s and 111111111s that get crammed down our ear canals every day.

Having said that, most of the music I listen to throughout my days is of the non-vinyl variety. Some of it can sound great, but I prefer records any day of the week.

Terry Hayes, Shiny_Beast and Funky54 like this.
  10. yfeefy

yfeefy Member

well..?

11. yfeefy

yfeefy Member

One thing for sure, old classic prog releases that then get reissued on cd... I don't know how much they get remixed/remastered or what... The cd can sound disconnected. example -> Genesis - selling England by the Pound - the battle of Epping Forest.

On the original Charisma vinyl (which I have), the mix is really good - the blend is fantastic. On the CD reissue (also I have this), it's almost too clear, or the levels are off. The guitar eight notes hitting the tonic during the verses are too loud, and they don't blend in as well, diminishing the experience.

I think either media (and of course HD digital) can sound excellent, when due care is given. I have like 500 vinyl records mostly incredible stuff, so I am in for the long haul.

12. Funky54

Funky54 Member

I worked for a Sonos Fabre, Wilson Audio Dealer along with 15-20 other high end brands. I spent my weekends listening with small select groups for hours doing nothing but A & B testing. Vinyl is my preference based on audio quality... most of the time. Of course source dictates what will be best. I hardly use my Lossless or HDtracks library.

With all that said, there are still wonderful vinyl systems to be had for the same money as digital quality solutions.

I now am a partner in a Low Voltage Integrator company (been a year this October since I left my previous company) and I still sell and engineer audio solutions. I no longer get to deal in the ultra high end two channel arena. I don’t have a professional sound room... But the solutions I offer for audio now are far more practical and realistic. Low end like Roksan, VPI, Rogue are my go to Solutions now. Truthfully, other than a handful of examples in the $35,000 to $80,000 range I don’t think I’m offering less.

I’ve heard expensive sound cheap and cheap sound expensive. I’ve heard good quality from most formats. Vinyl is still the best in my opinion. I have a $1500 DAC that doesn’t get used because it can’t compete with any of my tables including a $25 garage sale find with a $250 cart.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    ethandt and Rio like this.
  13. HeavyCream

HeavyCream Member

I have a massive vinyl collection. When I was younger, CDs were expensive and vinyl was cheap. I’m at the point now where I only buy something I really really love. I used to buy people’s entire collection. You can learn a lot about someone by looking at their music collection.

My vinyl stash will be in my will.

ckfoxtrot and S. F. Sorrow like this.
  14. pickdropper

pickdropper Supporting Member

I think vinyl has a much higher point of diminishing returns vs. digital, but that doesn't mean that lower cost setups can't be wonderful to listen to.

Just curious, which $1500 DAC do you have?

15. Beano Addict

Beano Addict Member

All depends on the mastering and the source of it. Mastering is the #1 most overlooked or completely ignored component and it can make/break the listening experience.

Thedude99, yfeefy, HeavyCream and 3 others like this.
  16. DewieCox

DewieCox Supporting Member

How long will it have to last to not be a hipster trend? I started my collection and about 2008. The trend had set in and was firmly on the upswing then and that seems to have continued to present day.

Thedude99, pickdropper and Funky54 like this.
  17. Funky54

Funky54 Member

Ayre Acoustics' QX-5 twenty. I paid $1500 used for it. It works with Roon.

I use for either digital or Vinyl the same speakers and amps.

Main Vinyl - AT ART-9 cart >Roksan Radius (upgraded to 7) > Rogue Audio Perseus Atlas preamp (NOS Mullard)> Left Jolida RD1000 (Winged C EL34’s matched Octet) horizontally bi-amped > Right Jolida RD1000 (Winged C EL34’s matched Octet) Horizontally bi-amped to Alon IV Speakers (NOLA) with upgraded drivers.

Secondary Vinyl - Shure M97XE with Jicco SAS >Pioneer PL 530 > Yaqin MS12-b (clear top RCA) pre > 7 Watt SE amp with EL34’s PSVane Tubes> Kef Q300 Speakers

Theater - Sony X-800 Bdp > 5.1.4 Marantz pre> 2X outlaw audio 755 amps >Triad Silver Speakers. Sony XBR65X950D

Whole House Audio - 9 Zone (Source is Echo, Sonos Connect & Ayer Acoustic’s QX-5 twenty) Crestron System > Triad & Episode IC Speakers.

ckfoxtrot likes this.
  18. Funky54

Funky54 Member

Pic’s of my past having fun A & B testing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First few are of the old company I worked for, a few others are for a separate company but same previous owner. Can’t find Murphy beer anywhere around here now...

19. Funky54

Funky54 Member

Pic’s of more A/B comparing. Speaker wire, Speakers, interconnects, amps, preamps, Tubes, tables, carts....

[​IMG]

Battled my own tables using identical ATMC33E carts.

[​IMG]

Early rendition.

[​IMG]

Later (but still older rendition

[​IMG]

A buddies house, note all the speaker, amp and sub comparisons and changes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

S. F. Sorrow, ethandt and ckfoxtrot like this.
  20. BCnSTL

BCnSTL Member

mule train likes this.