1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

The TS9 and OCD stacking thing isn't doing it for me anymore...need advice.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jamminoutloud1, May 20, 2011.

1. jamminoutloud1

jamminoutloud1 Supporting Member

So I have been using a highway one telecaster w/ a dimarzio in the bridge and a 52' reissue in the neck into TS9 into an OCD, into a DD-20 delay and tuner.
    I live in NY, so most of the time I'm playing through fender club amps, deville, blues junior, fender deluxe RI, etc.

I am going for a really beautiful sustaining juicy clean sound. Think Landau, Henderson, Anastasio, Ford.
    When I stack the TS9 and OCD together, it has a very full sound to it, but it feels a bit too high gain, even when I set the ocd's gain down and volume all the way up.
    I have been running the TS9 into the OCD, so maybe trying the OCD first will make a difference?

Overall, with the OCD in that order of the chain, I have found it a bit harsh, especially on the high end.

I am really considering dumping the pedal, and finding something else that would work nice with the TS9. Any suggestions?

2. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Yes... put the TS9 after the OCD. Turn the TS9's volume up and the gain down, i have run my TS this way when I used one. You'll like that result if you can tweak the OCD's tone/level/gain.

3. RolloTomassi

RolloTomassi Member

If thats too high gain for you, try a Fulltone Fatboost > OCD

OR

low gain set TS9 > medium gain TS9

I dont know what style of music you're playing, but Henderson and Landau definitely have that "violin" fusion tone. I'd also check the amp settings, specifically, I would run those two combos I listed through a Blues Jr and Deville, tubescreamers LOVE 6l6 style tubes. The Deluxe will sound great with a TS9 + Rat combo

Hope this helps

4. RolloTomassi

RolloTomassi Member

I think you may like this combination because the OCD has more volume on tap than the TS9 so it's picking up for the slack, its pushin that input a bit more. Not 100% sure just guessing...

5. Fingerbliss

Fingerbliss Member

I had the exact same setup as the OP for many years. Got bored, needed a little spice.

Moved over to a Keeley FuzzHead as my main drive. It owns all. I cannot tell you how many time people comment on my tone as being kickass now.

You have to really dial it in (with the nobs inside) to get it sounding good, but once its set - lookout. Nasty time. And not over the top at all.

6. jamminoutloud1

Yes, I am definitely into the violin smooth overdriven tone kind of thing.
    I will try switching them around. But I think I dig the tone of the TS9 more than the OCD, that's why I have been using the OCD more as a boost and turning the TS9's gain higher.
    Bad idea?
    Also, any other pedal ideas that come to mind that would stack great together w/ a TS9 for that type of tone?

7. RolloTomassi

RolloTomassi Member

From what I've read and played (I own an OCD, demo'd several TS9s), the OCD is in the vein of a TS9 but without the mid hump.

I really feel the magic may be in your amp settings. Right now, I'm more of an EL84/EL34 guy, but my general rule of thumb when it comes to tube amps is this, if its got tubes why set it completely clean? I like to find that spot on the amp where its barely breaking up, has a bit of hair and then use the pedal as the od/distortion.

You may find that if you crank that master volume a bit and boost the bass, keep your treble round 3-4, mids 6-8 and then crank the volume knob on the TS9 going into the OCD, WHEW that could sound sick. The OCD is just LOUD, the volume knob can be kept round 10 o clock, but the TS9 needs to be at like 2 or 3 o clock

I hope this is not too much, thats just one of my fav dirt combos too :)

8. jamminoutloud1

The problem with that is some of the clubs I play aren't that big. So, if I move the volume on the clean up past 3 it's already insane on it's own.
    Then, I have to keep the volume really low on the pedal, and that probably affects the tone negatively.

9. jamminoutloud1

When I meant volume past 3, I was talking about the amp clean btw.

10. RolloTomassi

RolloTomassi Member

Which amp?

I play a JCA20 (20 watt el84 amp) with an OCD and Cool Cat fuzz, I keep my amp's master volume at 6 and gain round 2-3. You can hear me just fine in a 400 person venue. My amp is mic-ed.

11. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I agree with OP, OCD is just too much! I use an AM TS9 Silver, usually as a boost, but ranging up to full gain. I find that running very mild modulation after OD smooths out some of the graininess, but I don't think OCD is what you want. Trey runs two TS's, but I did not find a happy place with that setup. I am running a mild comp with a boost right before the TS now, mild mod after TS and getting good results. This works well for leads where you want the OD smooth, comp after gives you more dynamic OD, plain boost or a second transparent OD after the TS gives you the most dynamics. As far a transparent OD, solid-state ones might include a (modded) bd2 (people suggest this for Gilmour, which has some similarities in my mind to getting a Trey-like tone), another is a Timmy. I really like tube options, I use a Rock Block. I am also thinking of getting a Skreddy Lunar Module for Gilmour tones that will add some diversity to my rig. Mostly these pedals add thickness, sustain, a little bit of smoother overdrive and a pretty good boost to push a tube amp into more OD and compression. The modulation smooths it out and adds some more thickness.

12. pappafox

pappafox Member

^This... I run a Keeley BD-2 (gain around 9:30-10 Oclock) before an AM TS-9 (gain @ 9 Oclock, level @ 3), and get great singing lead tones with both engaged. I am using a Marshall though.

13. jamminoutloud1

Do you think a zedrive and ts9 would be the way to go? Btw I just tried my OCD before the ts9 at rehearsal today. It could of been the room, but it felt a lot better I think. Still a little too much gain for me, but perhaps that could be because I'm using a telecaster?

14. whiteop

whiteop Senior Member

I got a Lovepedall Amp Eleven recently and it fills the bill nicely. Great COT (Church of Tone) boost for leads and a good drive tone that sounds like a Tim too. Sounds excellent with Teles too.

15. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

I recently got a Bucktone Black Powder pedal. I think it may be TS based (not really sure) but it is incredibly versatile. It has three levels of compression (none, mild, heavy), a high cut, a girth knob and a "tight" switch for the bottom end. It is not super gainy. Stacking my Keeley TS-9 into it, I can get some really wonderful, full and singing sounds with a Strat/Tele and a Super Reverb. This pedal has no buzz around here, but it really is a winner. I would say it sounds better than both my Keeley TS-9 and my Menatone Blue Collar (which is my favorite OD of all time) and it can cop TS type tones, through much more open and less compressed sounds. I am very impressed with this pedal into a clean amp. I would bet it would also excel into a dirty amp.

No affiliation with the builder, just a cool pedal that may fit the bill for you.

Mike

16. ProfessorBeard

ProfessorBeard Member

I've found that running the OCD at 18v is ideal for stacking- you get more headroom on the OCD, which gives you a much less compressed sound when stacking it with other pedals.

17. QuantumFlux

QuantumFlux Member

I agree with some of the replies, I've had the same combo and I sold the OCD and got something a little lower gain that stacks better. (bluesbreaker, zendrive, timmy, ts808, barber ltd to name a few). Just my 2 cents

18. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Member

Keeley Katana after AM Sunface. Unbeatable. Also does it all from OD to fuzz with your volume knob and a lead boost to boot.

19. Brien

Brien Member

I using the Zendrive into the OCD V1. I think you'd like this combo based on your tone description.

20. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Get a Fulltone PlimSoul and you're on!