The ultimate "always on" / buffer pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Weekendwarrior, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Weekendwarrior

Weekendwarrior Member

After browsing through tons of threads about the LBB, T1M buffer, EP pres/ boosters (in all their varieties), and RC boosters, I haven't been able to figure out which pedal would act best in retaining the strength of my signal through my Rig.

I play a 335 dot reissue with 10 ft of cable through a fuzz factory and TU-2, then 20 feet back to my racked voodoo labs bypass pedal switcher (little green wonder, CC, M13, etc), and final another 5 feet into my DC-30.

With nearly 40 feet of cable I really need to make sure my tone doesn't sound weak (less concerned with loss of top end as the amp is so damn bright). I don't mind the TU-2 buffer, but I plan to pick up a turbo tuner and would like to weigh in on TGP's expert opinion.

Would it be best to get a buffer or a boost/tone shaper? I definitely would like a fatter tone, as I use channel 2 of the DC-30 on the "bassiest" setting and its still could use a little fattening up. Could i use the RC or EP booster without pushing my amp into breaking up (basically at unity or slightly above)?

I apologize for the long question, thank you for your time guys!

To Clarify: I am interested in either a buffer or a tone altering "boost" as long as it won't force my amp to break up more or have a dramatic increase in volume.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  2. kmcw

kmcw Member

Caroline Guitar Company Icarus boost! You won't want to turn it off... ever

3. teleclem

teleclem Member

Ep can work at unity.. But it will change/sweeten your tone.

I think that you have to match the input impedance(?) of your amp when it comes to buffers.

4. giantrobotswinbig

giantrobotswinbig Member

I like the Z.Vex Super Hard-On. Very, very powerful.

5. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Im enjoying the buffer on my Fromel Shape.

6. Weekendwarrior

Weekendwarrior Member

I cannot seem to find the specs on the input impedance for the DC-30, anyone know?

7. jkokura

jkokura Member

I use a compressor as an always on pedal. Something like the Tone Press which includes a clean blend might work nicely for you.

Jacob

8. sockeye

sockeye Supporting Member

SHO or Orange Squeezer.

9. 100JH

100JH Member

Only one thing you need:

Pete Cornish Line Driver

http://www.petecornish.co.uk/SAELD-1.html

From the site...

Our low noise discrete component Class A pre-amplifier has been specifically designed to overcome the problems often encountered with amplification of Electric Instruments fitted with magnetic transducers. A frequent cause of these problems is the mismatch of the impedance in the electrical circuit between the pickup and subsequent equipment: this mismatch has been completely eliminated with the introduction of our LD-1™ Line Driver. The input impedance is identical to a high quality tube amplifier and our Class A Pre-amplifier also features a highly effective RF filter which will help prevent interference from nearby radio transmitters. The pickup output should be connected directly to the LD-1™ input with a low loss, screened cable; the LD-1™ output can now be fed to any effects or volume pedals (if used) and then on to the amplifier, using fully screened cables throughout.

A further use of the LD-1™ is to isolate long cable feeds which can cause signal and tone losses at the end of an effects chain, particularly if the final effect has a high impedance output (for instance a 250KW foot volume pedal). When using many effects it can be beneficial to add a LD-1™ mid way along the chain thus preventing a build up of signal losses that can occur with mismatched impedances between effects.

10. chervokas

chervokas Member

The TU-2 is a buffered bypass pedal with a 1M ohm input impedance. In other words, you alread have a buffer right after your fuzz after only 10 feet of cable...adding another buffer after that isn't going to change the tonal balance of your rig at all.

11. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

I would look into a Fulltone Fat Boost 3. You can of course use it as a buffer, but you can also use it to add lows or cut some highs. With its drive control down, its dead clean, and can be used at unity gain, as a boost, or even below unity gain. Sounds like it would fit your application perfectly, even if only as a tone shaper.

12. Weekendwarrior

Weekendwarrior Member

"I don't mind the TU-2 buffer, but I plan to pick up a turbo tuner and would like to weigh in on TGP's expert opinion."

I'll be getting rid of my TU-2 in favour of a turbo tuner (true bypass).

13. chervokas

chervokas Member

Ah, missed that. Yeah, the Turbo Tuner really is all that.

14. Steve73

Steve73 Member

MI Audio Boost n' Buff. The buffer is always on and the boost can be as transparent or treble booster'y as you want. I've had mine for years and it is a mainstay regardless on how much my board changes. Love it.....

15. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Supporting Member

I wholeheartedly endorse this product and always-on boosts as an excellent way to buffer and add tone/output. Other pedals to do this include the Shape EQ with switchable, always on buffer mode, and the Dr. Scientist Mini RRR with its - when engaged - level/boost control is a great way to restore your signal late in the chain.

16. JacksonCarter

JacksonCarter Member

17. StratStringSlinger

StratStringSlinger Member

I've heard great opinions of the TU-2's buffer but for some reason I don't like what mine does to the tone. My TU-2 is over 10 years old so not sure if that matters?

18. Weekendwarrior

Weekendwarrior Member

I'm just trying to understand, as long as a booster is activated it makes the signal low impedance correct? In that case it seems like buying a boost is much better than a buffer strictly for its versatility. It can be run at unity, boosted, or even eq'd depending on its setting.

19. mmolteratx

mmolteratx Member

20. VHS analog

VHS analog Member

The EP-Pre is always on (mine has no off switch), but it's high impedance so it's useless as a line buffer.