The Ultimate Attentuator is blowing my mind!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wedewer, Feb 21, 2009.

1. wedewer

wedewer Supporting Member

I can't believe how impressive the ultimate attentuator is. My daughter is asleep upstairs right now and I am playing a cracked Straub Cantus and it is killing. It still has all the sustain and touch sensativity as it would with out the UA. Beside my guitar and my amp, this may be the most important and inspiring piece of gear I have ever purchased.

2. NFB

NFB Senior Member

Try an Dumble style amp..................most have unreal Master Volumes..............check out the video below...........

You will be quite surprised............and less to carry to a gig.[​IMG]

3. soldano16

soldano16 Member

Just imagine how much fun it is to be in a band and be able to play a cranked Super Lead at very reasonable levels.

4. wedewer

I am leaving the Shiva at home this weekend at bringing the Cantus and the UA to my gig. It's a small club so this should be a good test.

5. NFB

NFB Senior Member

You got the wrong amp at the wrong gig.........if you need an SLO at reasonable levels at a gig!:rolleyes:

I bet the venue holds 25 people......let me guess............you needed that 4X12 toooooooooooooo........................[​IMG]

6. wedewer

you're not going to catch me showing up at a "rock" show with any dumble style amp. I don't care if they have a rock switch on them.

7. NFB

NFB Senior Member

Oh come on............check out the video below........[​IMG]

8. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

What does your vid have to do with the Ultimate Attenuator? I would much prefer a cranked plexi tone to that tone you keep referencing. Even with a great master volume, you won't get cranked power tube overdrive without turning the master up, or using an attenuator. Plus its not like the UA is that heavy or bulky to carry...

What was your point again?

dk

9. wedewer

Peter, you are a great player(far better than I) and you have some killer tones in that video. But I don't hear rock and roll. The heavily overdriven tones are a little fuzzy for rock to me. I am a crunch guy and I will be playing covers on Sat. I don't think your tone will work for ACDC. For fusion or progressive rock, the tone in your video kills.

check out this video I made the other day with a crappy little camera

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=embKhhouNds

Its through the orange 212 and I am playing at such a low volume, it doesn't even distort the mic on the little cam. I would actually have to turn up at my gig.

10. NFB

NFB Senior Member

My point and my humble opinion is that you can get those great tones with a Master volume.......that is all

The video below.............is at about speaking level on a Dumble amp........the master is barely cranked and listen to the tone............its not thin or buzzy.............

Put a pedal in front.............and your in Pantera Land!:banana:banana:banana

Just trying to save you money and time........[​IMG]

11. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Sorry that clip sounded decent, but nothing like a cranked plexi. Something about the power tube distortion that really pushes air.

You are trying to save someone money by suggesting to buy a Dumble??? You must be joking. The UA is a couple hundred bucks, a new amp, never mind a Dumble style amp, would be several thousand bucks.

I think you were just trying to show off your vid!

dk

12. NFB

NFB Senior Member

I really like it........buzzyness and all......but you can get those tones at those volumes with a JCM 800 and a Master Volume Model 2210.....my favorite.......wish I did not sell it................no need for an UA..........

Sorry............but i am not bought.............[​IMG]

13. wedewer

Who's asking for Pantera land. That is all preamp distortion and in some cases I think solid state ampegs. I want good old power tube overload. I have three master volume amps. A Shiva, Emplexador MKII and a marshall jubilee. All excellent master volume amps, but they sound different than a non master volume.
    The UA brings new possibilities to home playing and clubs for non master volume amps.

Dumbles are amazing sounding amps, but lets not kid ourselves about their versatility.

14. NeilYoungFan

NeilYoungFan Supporting Member

The UA is probably the most "useful" piece of gear I've purchased. In fact, I suppose it helped me re-discover my existing gear, in a way.

15. NFB

NFB Senior Member

No........No.......you can buy a used Ceriatone ODS for $1000 and be done with it..........

That is not me in the video.......

16. wedewer

Ok, then since it's not you in the video, I should be completely honest. I think the overdriven tone in that video is terrible. It way fuzzy. Way way fuzzy. Anyone else agree with me?

17. NFB

NFB Senior Member

Thats ok.............everyone got opinions..............show me your clips...that blow it out of the water.............[​IMG]

18. NFB

NFB Senior Member

Go to the link below to song #103...."Unchained with Emerald Pro" ........Master volume done at whisper levels...........

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=121826&content=widgets

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  19. wedewer

20. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Supporting Member

Yes. Your Cantus video sounds way better than the Dumble video for the sound you are going for. The Dumble video is the best I've heard in the weird-guitar-and-funny-hat genre, though. And it's about as relevant to a discussion of the UA as this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izZWexUlvdE