1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

The ultimate bang for buck speaker thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by HeeHaw, May 13, 2006.

1. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I recently picked up a new/barely used eminence GB12 for cheap. I needed a speaker that could handle 50 watts of EL34's cranked. The economical GB12 fits the bill and then some. Mic'd up with an SM57, I had to add a touch of presence from my amp, but overall it's not bad.

Holy cow!:eek: It sounds very similar to my greenbacks. I loaded it into an avatar 1x12 for small gigs and it fits the bill perfectly.

I really do dislike the Wizards and Tonespotters I have owned and tried, but the GB12 hits a home run.:cool: Note: The GB12 isn't anywhere near as articulate as my Scumbacks, but still it rocks out.:)

2. THROBAK

THROBAK Vendor

The best bang for the buck speaker I have ever run across is the Sammi Sound ME300B40. These are Korean 40 watt speakers that have the same pulpy cone paper that you find on vintage speakers. Hempcone speakers seem to be made with pulpier paper but almost all new production speakers no longer use this pulpier paper. The 40 watt Sammis still do and they are cheap. They sound sort of like a Greenback but with a better top end. They sound really great for distorted tones. The Sammi is the only option that I offer on my 18 watt clone because I think is is a great sounding lower output alternative to a G12H30 in an 18 watt. They are not easy to come by though. HeBeGeBe on the 18watt forum is the only source I am aware of for these in the U.S. right now.

3. Boogs

Boogs Member

I'm digging the GB12 big time!

4. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Another vote for the wonderful, underated Eminence GB12. I have it now in two amps, my Tone King Continental and my vintage Traynor Guitarmate. Awesome speaker, in my view better than a Greenback in an open-back, 1X12 configuration because of its power handling capacity (50W) and much tighter low end. I've heard the mids on this speaker described as "woody like an oboe." I agree. (There are some people who dislike it, read their posts carefully - it's usually because they're trying to force it into the wrong application.)

5. sdgvintage

sdgvintage Member

eminence canibis rex is good I think too, red fang as well.
    Beyond that there is the webers which are my favorites.

6. Matt H

Matt H Guest

i've got a sammi 100watter (pair of them), they're pretty nice sounding speakers. maybe the 40w is radically different... it was good- but given availibility, with emi's new line, i'm not sure they're really the same deal they may have been otherwise.

but if i could suggest only one budget beauty, it was the carvin g12-75. DAMN. great sounding, 20 bucks a pop. I got a quad shipped to my house for 89 dollars (total). They're not very efficient (probably right around what a greenback has to offer), but in my opinion, that only lets you push your amp a little harder. definitely stiff at first, but then opened up quite a bit.

another bang-for-buck, while costing quite a bit more, is the emi red fang. i picked one up used for 65 bucks shipped. I know they're more than that new, but still... it's bang-for-buck factor lies in "what else can you get that sounds like it for remotely the same price?". Nothing, really. Not to say it's the *best speaker in the world!!!* but it's a really solid choice- offers something a bit different while still in the realm of "really great sounding".

7. stephenT

stephenT Silver Supporting Member

I have a pair of Private Jacks 12s in my Goodsell, love 'em. A/B them with new G12H30, got the PJs.

8. Shea

Shea Member

The way the GB12 holds the low end together in an open-backed cab is quite remarkable. It has some sweet midrange too. I just wish the top end were a little better - the GB12s I've been checking out sound a little muffled in the high end. Great for taming an amp with fizzy distortion, but I just can't get a "chimey" or singing clean tone out of them.

Shea

9. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I thought the same thing. Ditto on the bass response as well. The highs are a little rolled off, but over all I still like it. My GB12 mics up well with an sm57

10. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey gearheads,

I love the Eminence Cannabis Rex that I recently installed on my Omega Amps modded Hot Rod Deluxe. Jim Price recommend the Cannabis Rex for my amp and he was right on the money. It got rid of the "ice pick in the ear" highs the amp had when it was stock with the Eminence Legend 125 speaker. The lows and mids sound good and the highs are smooth now. I've already gigged on the amp and I'm still breaking the speaker in. I paid $81.00 shipped from Avatar Speakers & was shipped from the Eminence factory to my door. You can buy the A Broun Soun Tone Tubby ceramic 1x12 speaker for $140.00 +$15.00 shipping. I saved myself $74.00.

The Eminence Cannabis Rex is licensed from A Broun Soun (makers of the Tone Tubby Speaker). They're the only speaker company that A Broun Soun has licensed the hempcone technology to for 12" guitar speakers. I found out about this from a review from the Harmony Central amp reviews.

Guitar George

11. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Supporting Member

Have any of you guys heard that the 8 ohm GB12 sounds different than the 16 Ohm version? This seems to be the only speaker I have heard this about.

12. SAMIAM

SAMIAM Member

At roughly 100$ , the Celestion GM12 (R.I.) gives me the low wattage early breakup with that "crunch" and "presence" , that although I've enjoyed the other company's various "flavours" of - I find myself always coming back to...
    For a while now I've been enamored with all the positive press the "SAMMI's" are garnering over on the 18 watt community forum, and I keep one of the 40 watters on my mental "must remember to eventually buy one" list...
    The Carvin V12 is a speaker I have that was cheap and man! some "american" tone freak would love these "jensen" based tone generators but unfortunately for me I prefer the "british" tone- great sweet speaker though and cheap...(also no longer offered...)

13. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

hmmm whenever I feel I need a new speaker I just turn to Scumbacks so I know I will be getting the sound I want ...

14. Boogs

Boogs Member

I've heard that, and they do have different resonant frequencies...might be true. In any case, Eminence seems to only be offering the 8 ohm version now for some reason. Thank god I picked up a new 16 ohm version while they were around.

+1 on the C-Rex :cool:

That's a one-of-a-kind speaker, and a damn fine one. It's great for smoothing out an amp that tends toward harshness, without sounding "rolled-off" in the high end. It's that little bit of pixie dust up top that sells it for me. Currently loving it combined with a Wizard in a 1/3 open 2x12 coming from my X100B...talk about great cleans!

15. Boogs

Boogs Member

Here's another one - the Weber ceramic Blue Dog.

Not a bargain-bin affair, but you get a lot of great tone for your dollars.

16. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

On the GB12, where this speaker shines is the middle to lower mids (hence my prior "oboe" analogy). It is not designed to emphasize the upper mids/lower treble and so would be misapplied by someone seeking to maximize his "chime." On the high end, this is another example of how subjectivity comes into play on speakers: one man's "muffled in the high end" is another man's "smooth high end." The two amps I have mine in - the Tone King and the Traynor - can crank the high end out so I love the GB12's smoothness on top with them.

17. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

Would a GB12 be a good mix with a Celestion V30 in an OB cab?

18. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I have a set of Scumback HP's I am fond of. I have played some other Various Webers that I am infatuated with as well.

Still, the little GB12 is a fun speaker.:AOK

19. radicool

radicool Member

I've been running a GB12 alongside an Eminence V12 in an open-backed 2x12 cab for about 2-3 years. I've played this setup close to 150 times in that period, and I still like the way it sounds. The V12 seems to accent the upper mids and lower treble that people find missing in the GB12. They really work very well together, and for cheap money.

20. radicool

radicool Member

KeithC -
    Sorry, meant to answer your question in my above post. The Eminence V12 that I use is their version of a V30, so I think that yes, a V30 would work quite well with a GB12.