The ultimate fuzz face?

gerontius

Hello... i can't decide which one to buy:

Dunlop Fuzzface or Fulltone 69

I'm looking for that classic JH sound... are there any other alternatives.

Thanks

I'm in the camp there is no "perfect" fuzz.

But theres a reason for this. Unlike overdrive pedals, or any other pedal for that matter, every single fuzz pedal will sound a bit different. even the exact model.

those transistors (which are what gives fuzz's their sound), be it Germanium or Silicon, each have different leak and gain factors. Then you've got to consider there are 2 of them in the circuit. They are also temperature dependent. It just goes on and on. Its a moving target.

This makes for a very wide range in possible sounds. From crap to amazing.

Even Hendrix was known to have a collection of many many fuzzes. early on being Germanium, then moving on to Silicon. So to get "hendrix tones" from just one unit can be difficult...depending on what you are after.

But to help you out, there are a few makers that are known for making very authentic germanium fuzzface clones. Analogman, MJM, and Diaz are my three favorite. But everyone has their favorites.

It comes down to you doing more research on what makes them sound the way they do and simply trying them out yourself. No one, I repeat, NO ONE can say they know of the perfect fuzz. Not only are each unit slightly different from each other, but the type of gear you use will influence how it will sound.

Fuzzes are a painfull journey of dissappointment. But once you DO land one you enjoy, you'll never stop playing with it!

BTW, I would like to mention I was pleasantly surprised with the newest blue Dunlop JH-F1 fuzz... amazing tone quality for the price. Very very similar to the hendrix tones from Band of Gypsies. Might be a good place to start.

meterman

Owned the '69, McFuzz Hybrid & Hot fuzzface clones, played a bunch more. Get the Retroman Sybil. Not only the best sounding FF I've tried, it's by far the most versatile having both germanium and silicon versions in one box, either blendable (classic) or footswitchable (newer version). Great tones, workmanship, and flexibility, it has replaced nearly all of my other fuzzes...

Last Nerve

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Gold Supporting Member
Out of the two you mentioned, I'd get the '69, no doubt.

But, to make the decision tougher, I'll throw out the AnalogMan SunFace!
WOW! That pedal is just about perfect, IMO.

anxiousmofo

The '69 is one kickass fuzz. Also does a decent OD and cleans up like the best of them. I'll never part with mine.

I have the '69 and a 200lbs on my board and I'm in hog heaven.

FF71

Silver Supporting Member
Hello... i can't decide which one to buy:

Dunlop Fuzzface or Fulltone 69

I'm looking for that classic JH sound... are there any other alternatives.

Thanks
Check out the MJM London Fuzz www.mjmguitarfx.com
he offers both germanium and silicon versions.

Germanium London Fuzz
http://www.mjmguitarfx.com/3_mjm_london_fuzz_germanium.mp3
http://www.mjmguitarfx.com/2_mjm_london_fuzz_germanium.mp3

Silicon London Fuzz II
http://www.mjmguitarfx.com/5_mjm_london_fuzz_silicon.mp3
http://www.mjmguitarfx.com/4_mjm_london_fuzz_silicon.mp3

JUSTJOB

Yes, definately check out the Fulltone 70! I recieved one as a gift and i really like it quite a bit. It will hang with the best of them. Great tone in the 70, and it will easily do the JH thing, that is for sure.
Best Regards!

sstweed

Gold Supporting Member
I have several mentioned here already and give a hearty +1 to all of them. Also +1 to the notion that they are all different, and very rig, style and player dependant as well.

One that hasn't been mentioned yet is the Addrock Geranium and Hism Scism. They are much less expensive than what the '69 is currently going for, and uses real NOS NKT-275's to boot. Again no two examples are alike so YMMV *ALOT*, but IMO my Addrock runs rings around my old '69 at less than half the price.

My current favorite along with the Addrock is my 3rd London Fuzz. It is a custom job in an MXR size box and an external bias. Just sounds great. Mucho head ripping fuzz gain when cranked, gorgeous natural overdrive when backed off. Goes between a tele and a tweed Deluxe, the way a beautiful woman goes between a man and a mattress. Again, no two are alike, and rig dependent, etc, but I really hit the jack pot with this one. The other two Londons sounded great, but neither clicked like this one does.

Old Diaz Square Faces are very special. They use NTE 103 which are the NPN equivalent of the trannies used in the original Sunface standards, before Mike scored all the NKT-275's and started using those. The 103 falls somewhere in between the less fizzy, meaty sounding 275's, and what ever is in the London Fuzz which is woolier and higher gained. Very nice box.

I would love to try more, like the Retroman and the Sweet stuff. But I am so happy right now with these three, I just have no real incentive to cut loose with the cash. But that has never stopped me for long!

Kelly

Sold my '69 recently for $270 on ebay. Great pedal that I hated to sell, but prices are ridiculous now.

jb1911

Between the two that you mentioned there's no comparison. The '69 is one of the greatest FF pedals ever. The Dunlop, not so much.

bullet69

Mike has pretty much set the standard with the Analogman Sunface nkt 275. For classic germanium fuzz face tones your not going to find anything better. maybe equal but not better. for Silicon fuzz face tones im really digging the lovepedal 200 lb fuzz .

gang twanger

Here a little more confusion to add to the mix. I picked up a Throbak Fuzz Haze recently and love it, and like the rest of his stuff, it is extremely versatile. I have never tried the '69 but I've read user reviews where people like the Fuzz Haze better than the Fulltone. Either way, I like mine a lot.
I have a Sweet Sound Pro Bender, and I have to say there is something special going on inside that one. Big time mojo!

Trending Topics