The ultimate fuzz face?

JUSTJOB

thank you for your suggestions... there are definitely many ways to spend money and there is NO easy answer.
what do you guys think about keeley fuzz head?
I really like the Keeley FuzzHead a lot. Although, it is not quite a FuzzFace, it is much more compatable playing with others on the pedalboard real estate. But the Keeley FuzzHead will do great grinding powerchords as well as is an amazing lead boost type fuzz, and if you slam it with a Keeley BD2 or boost it then will cop a great FuzzFace. On its own though it isn't as compressed as a FuzzFace. But I like that about it because it makes for a better Fuzz to goose a saturated amp with and stays very musical and tonefull. Despite what anyone may say, it is a Fuzz first and foremost, even if it may try to straddle the OD/Fuzz/Distortion lines a bit. Truely an outstanding Fuzz!
Best Regards!

gang twanger

I have (and love) the Throbak Fuzz Haze. It has higher gain (and better dynamics- great bass response) than units like the Fulltone '69 pedal. Plus it has that pre-gain switch that alters the bass response and basically changes the unit from a Fuzz to a great sounding germanium overdrive.

However, the GAS caught up to me when I stopped long enough to check out a mint-condition Analog Man Sunface (complete w/ sundial) sitting there in the Emporium, just waiting to be plucked. So I had to scoop it up. So hopefully it should be here tomorrow or Wednesday. Yogi Yahooey!! Here comes another pick-a-nick basket!!

gang twanger

Roger Mayer Classic Fuzz = All of JHE recordings , Axis fuzz some of Axis Bold as Love & Band of Gypsys and beyond-Case Closed I'm not shouting! :AOK:AOK:AOK
Timothy Leary's dead. No. No no no, he's outside........................................looking in.

CaptRonJon

Depends on which classic JH sound you're looking for. Are you Experienced classic (get the 69) or Band of Gypsies (still don't buy the Dunlop, get something else like a 70).
Are those your only two options? 69 is going to be more expensive, but a waaaaaaay better pedal. Can you try first? The 69 is a fairly refined (can I use that word talking about a fuzz?) fuzz, the 70 is a lot spittier and a more high gain kinda thing, maybe look at that too. (cheaper than the 69 and easier to find).
Honestly, I'd put the Dunlop close to the bottom of the list of options along with Boss and Danelectro (ducking...)

You know, I never did really thinik about that. I have doing a lot of looking and youtube watching and whatnot and really ended up liking the '69 a lot. It's really full. I saw a pedal though that as of yet (I'm only on page 2 of 4 on the post) has not been mentioned... the MI Audio G.I. Fuzz. On youtube, it sounds just nasty and maybe what I'm looking for. The London Fuzz sounds insane and I think I may like that one as well but the G.I. just has something about it. But to clarify what JH tone I have in my head, it's just the absolutely nasty, fuzzy, just... I don't even know how to describe it but the best way for me to put it is that you hear it and just pop a chubby and start thinking what the f**k is he doing with that axe... The G.I. seemed like it might be able to take me there. But keep sending the comments on other pedals.... and especially some feedback, whether good or bad, on the G.I.

gregory49

through my super reverb I MUCH prefer my london fuzz over the AM sunlion. I really love the sunlion becuase of its ability to clean up but i find the top end really shrill....

I'm in the camp there is no "perfect" fuzz.

But theres a reason for this. Unlike overdrive pedals, or any other pedal for that matter, every single fuzz pedal will sound a bit different. even the exact model.

those transistors (which are what gives fuzz's their sound), be it Germanium or Silicon, each have different leak and gain factors. Then you've got to consider there are 2 of them in the circuit. They are also temperature dependent. It just goes on and on. Its a moving target.

This makes for a very wide range in possible sounds. From crap to amazing.

Even Hendrix was known to have a collection of many many fuzzes. early on being Germanium, then moving on to Silicon. So to get "hendrix tones" from just one unit can be difficult...depending on what you are after.

But to help you out, there are a few makers that are known for making very authentic germanium fuzzface clones. Analogman, MJM, and Diaz are my three favorite. But everyone has their favorites.

It comes down to you doing more research on what makes them sound the way they do and simply trying them out yourself. No one, I repeat, NO ONE can say they know of the perfect fuzz. Not only are each unit slightly different from each other, but the type of gear you use will influence how it will sound.

Fuzzes are a painfull journey of dissappointment. But once you DO land one you enjoy, you'll never stop playing with it!

BTW, I would like to mention I was pleasantly surprised with the newest blue Dunlop JH-F1 fuzz... amazing tone quality for the price. Very very similar to the hendrix tones from Band of Gypsies. Might be a good place to start.
Very cool dissertation and it has the ring of truth.
That said, which fuzz face comes closest to replicating Jimi's tone in Foxey Lady ?
This Hendrix track above all others IMHO represents the Hendrix fuzz face sound to full effect.

4styx

That said, which fuzz face comes closest to replicating Jimi's tone in Foxey Lady ?
This Hendrix track above all others IMHO represents the Hendrix fuzz face sound to full effect.[/quote]

Foxy Lady is a multitrack song(the guitars) and not all FF,making it pretty hard to nail the tone with only one sound.

Kitarist

Well it seems that analogman is really the best fuzz but i'm also concerned that it will be not so much gainy. So i saw that you can put a NKT with more gain in it that will make it more aggresive right and full

gregory49

the mjm london has more gain. trust me if your using it through a fender You will be better off, if its through a el84 or el34 go for the sunface.

84Bravo

Another BIG thumbs up here for the Keely Fuzz Face. To my ears it's more of an OD, but I changed out the chip in it. I slap it with my Timmy and leave both pedals on all the time and control the saturation with the volume knob on my strat. All I need. Well, a Boss tuner...and, well, I have a delay in the loop. But that FF and the Timmy together, that's the ticket.

Dale

I really like the Keeley FuzzHead a lot. Although, it is not quite a FuzzFace, it is much more compatable playing with others on the pedalboard real estate. But the Keeley FuzzHead will do great grinding powerchords as well as is an amazing lead boost type fuzz, and if you slam it with a Keeley BD2 or boost it then will cop a great FuzzFace. On its own though it isn't as compressed as a FuzzFace. But I like that about it because it makes for a better Fuzz to goose a saturated amp with and stays very musical and tonefull. Despite what anyone may say, it is a Fuzz first and foremost, even if it may try to straddle the OD/Fuzz/Distortion lines a bit. Truely an outstanding Fuzz!
Best Regards!
I love the Fuzz Head. One of my all time favorite fuzz pedals (it is more fuzz to me than TS or Dis voiced). It is a bit lower gain fuzz than many, which is actually a great thing. Couple the with the mucho tweekability and it is amazing.

infiniteposse

Just an interesting note on a Dunlop a friend recently picked up off of CL... It's an older JHF2, red circular box... I'm not sure what the differences in various production years might be, but this one sounds killer. It actually sounds very similar, nay, virtually identical to my FT 69 with all of the knobs cranked (except volume, of course...).

I cracked open the Dunlop to look under the hood and it appears it's got NKT27* Germanium transistors in there which I gather from the emphasis they're mentioned with in regards to Analogman pedals is a good thing.

Regardless, I guess my point would be that all Dunlops may not be equal, as is the case with fuzzes in general.

BTW, I would like to mention I was pleasantly surprised with the newest blue Dunlop JH-F1 fuzz... amazing tone quality for the price. Very very similar to the hendrix tones from Band of Gypsies. Might be a good place to start.
I just got the JH-F1 a couple of days ago. It doesn't sound bad, but it's very dark sounding to my ears. Did you experience the same? It's actually darker sounding than any Ge Fuzz I own and darker than the Fulltone 70's.

Just an interesting note on a Dunlop a friend recently picked up off of CL... It's an older JHF2, red circular box... I'm not sure what the differences in various production years might be, but this one sounds killer. It actually sounds very similar, nay, virtually identical to my FT 69 with all of the knobs cranked (except volume, of course...).

I cracked open the Dunlop to look under the hood and it appears it's got NKT27* Germanium transistors in there which I gather from the emphasis they're mentioned with in regards to Analogman pedals is a good thing.

Regardless, I guess my point would be that all Dunlops may not be equal, as is the case with fuzzes in general.

Apart that the parts are mounted on a pcb, the layout seem to be like the real thing.

The player on this vid also uses that model and it sounds very good to my ears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkamRh0a5PY

Trending Topics