The Unbelievable Ruokangas Duke

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by BattleAngel, Aug 14, 2006.

1. BattleAngel

BattleAngel Member

Hi all. Some of you may know that I own a one-of-a-kind Ruokangas guitar (a VSOP Supreme named 'Jubilee' for the ornate inlay on the back of the guitar) and used it to record Welcome back Dear Children (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=3&url=http%3A%2F%2Fphobos.apple.com%2FWebObjects%2FMZStore.woa%2Fwa%2FviewAlbum%3Fid%3D161962025%26s%3D143441&ei=v_vgRMaZKZDgwQLB8vz4Dg&sig2=JZEqQQwF7nmPmsig3mnKhA) my band Arizona's first full length LP.

This weekend, I had the opportunity to play an amazing concert with my band. Eero Kilpi from Ruo'USA lent me his Duke, which was the same guitar Guitar Player reviewed. Words cannot describe this guitar's power and balance. The pickups are absolutely off the charts, and the playability is ultimate. The guitar is super light, you could wear it for hours and never think to complain, and playing her, you get the impression that she'll give up any sound you could possibly dream of. My Jubilee guitar is very unique, truthfully her tone is so close to a perfect reputation of Jubilee the character of our song that it is scary- but this Duke fits my band in a way that is wonderful to behold. It melded with TopHat unbelievably well, the tone is creamy and yet very substantial and authoritative. It feels completely different than a Les Paul- (it looks to be shaped almost exactly like the new Bakers, same idea anyway, I think great minds think alike)- but sounds just as powerful and many times more articulate and sweet.

I don't have any affiliation with the company besides owning one of their great guitars and having a few great musical conversations w/ Juha, but I do thank them on the liner notes of WBDC (which will be available for purchase from insound.com in the next few days) because of their amazing customer service- they are truly in a class of their own. Eero has gone out of his way time and time again to make sure I am totally satisfied with the Ruokangas experience, and Juha has extended every courtesy as well- they even lent me a guitar before I was an owner to record one of the ubiquitous WBDC tracks (a VSOP King which went through a Jamison 2x12 combo on the record- the tone is glorrrious).

I am trying to blow up the WBDC album so I will be able to justify a Duke of my own. Anyone who has been looking for a dual cutaway set-neck guitar with more authority, resonance, and soul than can be imagined, the Ruokangas will do whatever you want.

2. BattleAngel

BattleAngel Member

[​IMG]

I look like Bilbo Baggins.

3. DestroyAllGuitars

DestroyAllGuitars Member

BattleAngel, I believe I spy a Supreme Sixteen glowing in the distance. I hope it's serving you well.

4. BattleAngel

BattleAngel Member

That is the one, Cliff! I'm going to put in an order for the new 6l6 custom shop when it's available- I could play TopHat for life.

5. DestroyAllGuitars

DestroyAllGuitars Member

Please let me know when your next NY show is. I'd love to come.

6. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

Every Ruokangas I've seen (sadly none in person yet) has absolutely floored me with the attention to detail, design, and workmanship. I remember you gushing about yours when you received it (and rightfully so as it's gorgeous) and I'm surprised there isn't more press about them. They're definitely out of my price range right now, but certainly high up on my WTB list.

BTW, checked out the cd on iTunes....VERY good stuff. Reminds me a bit of Sufjan Stevens, My Morning Jacket, Antony & the Johnsons, or maybe even a little Snow Patrol, but definitely take that as a compliment. That's some great company to be in. ;)

7. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

How much does one of those cost? It's nice.

8. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Juha is a great guitar builder and a class act. His attention to detail is awesome.

You're lucky Battleangel. Hey Eero - how's it goin?

Dana O.

9. Antero

Antero Member

No comment except dude, I heard a few of the songs off of your album and you guys are excellent. Seriously good writing/arranging, and that's high praise from the music fascist. ;)

10. Eero

Eero Member

Hi Dana!

I am good. Hurt my back big time a week ago helping out a friend, but other than that, things are good. I have been carrying amplifier cases around lately also, and as we all know, that doesn't help too much :cool:

How are you?

Ben, so grateful for your nice words!!!!

For Joe, the Duke is the flagship model of the Ruokangas line and, depending on the dealer, they go somewhere in the 5-6 grand price range. Check www.ruokangas.com for models.

Dana, you do understand that you have to come to the winter NAMM with your hair neatly combed, now that we have this tradition building, taking pictures of you, playing our stuff :roll

Take care!!

Eero
    Ruokangas, Mad Professor, BJF, etc

11. Dana Olsen

I may be getting my hair spiked - who knows? All you guys, well, not you so much, but Juha, Bjorn, Harri - ya'll have your 'long hair' thang 'goin on, so I might have to make a move here ...

It probably won't work though. I've looked like an aging surfer my whole life - spiked hair probably won't change that - sigh. (GRIN)

I'm proud to be on the MP homepage playing a Ruokangas guitar through an MP amp - What a sound!

I hope your back heals up quickly!

Dana O.

12. BattleAngel

BattleAngel Member

Eunos, thanks for the kind words man! If you'll do our band a favor, would you spread this link to whoever you know who may be looking for a cool new band to listen to? http://search.insound.com/search/artist.jsp?artist=INS31857 <-- it is the only site online that stocks our actual CDs

Dana- very lucky indeed! There's the electric guitar and then there's a Ruokangas. I haven't played Baker yet and would like to some day, but I'm very much gearing myself towards only playing w/ Ruo guitars. There is something very resonant about these guitars to me, they just fit in so well with what I have to do in Arizona's 3-guitar lineup. A totally different sound and feel than our other 2 guys, but not at all totally different than the over all sonic aim of the group.

13. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

You betcha! I have a bunch of friends that will definitely dig it as it's right up their alley too. Are there any tracks in particular that notably feature your Ruokangas?

14. BattleAngel

BattleAngel Member

The songs "Splintering" "Surviving the Savior" "Te Amo Tanto" are the best examples of the Ruo on this album. There's more Ruo on the next record still being made, and there are little touches of it all over, but Splintering is all Ruo, Te Amo Tanto is Ruo on the heavy parts and Savior's electrics are all Ruo.

15. Paulpuck68

Paulpuck68 Member

Photo=BAD....Ruokangas Duke=GOOD!!!!!

[​IMG]

16. HK-47

HK-47 Member

:drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool

17. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

AHH -some Duke love. A truly great guitar !!
    I guess yall seen mine, anways here it is again :crazyguy
    [​IMG]

18. BattleAngel

BattleAngel Member

that's the guitar that introduced me to Ruokangas guitars! Love it, Anders. Actually, even more so now that I've spent some time with a more 'normal' Duke DeLuxe and can really see just how unique yours is!

19. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

Love the blue burst Anders. It looks like water. :) I'm guessing the top is birch? The figuring on the birch topped Ruokangas' I've seen has such a unique character to it and a nice change of pace from maple.

20. Dana Olsen

Three guitars can be a really cool sound.... probably wouldn't hurt much if at least one of the guitars was a Ruokangas (GRIN). Warning: If you spend much time with guys like Juha and Eero, the risk of becoming addicted to Mad Professor amps increases substantially.

Good Luck Battleangel, Knock 'em dead, Dana O.