The Unthinkable happened!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by cjp54, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Parlorman

Parlorman Silver Supporting Member

Thank you for the cautionary tale. Thoughtful of you.

On a somewhat related note:

My stepmom’s father was a performing accordion player (polka bands) and blew off his thumb and three fingers when a cherry bomb short fused. I swore off amateur fireworks.

2. Elwin Ransom

Elwin Ransom Member

I work in the oil and gas industry so safety is huge - some might say overboard. I don't play guitar for a living (or any money for that matter) but I couldn't imagine losing my ability to play. PSA: Wear those safety gloves and keep out of the line of fire!

cjp54 likes this.
  3. wahfreak

wahfreak Member

I just watched this video yesterday.....funny that his channel name is Stumpy Nubs. Some of it is a little bloody.

I only post to show how quick things can go south with ordinary hand held power tools.

Stay safe!

4. cjp54

cjp54 Member

Thank you for all the well wishes!
    That video of the angle grinder was interesting. That chain saw cutter is down right scary looking!

5. abby_normal

abby_normal Member

Yikes. As someone who owns a deli I feel your pain. Let me tell you, meat slicers are worse that power tools. Hope you heal up as quickly as possible.

6. blacknblues

blacknblues Member

Honestly, it takes a genius to learn from other people's mistakes. I'm lucky if I can learn from my own.

7. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

8. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

Best wishes to you. I've only had one serious but non-permanent fret-hand injury, which took about a month to heal. Yes, I did refresh my slide playing.

Yours could have wound up much worse -- I bet we're all very glad it didn't.

9. earthmud

earthmud Supporting Member

Same damn thing happened to me except mine was a electric trimmer. I was talking with my wife and somehow got distracted. The next thing I knew, I felt the pinch, saw the blood, and asked my wife to grab the car keys. I sliced halfway through my index and middle finger, just short of hitting bone. I sat for five hours waiting for someone to stich me up in the ER. Pissed me off but I guess I was low priority. Because I sat for so long I now have this hard piece of skin in the center of my index. The trimmer made a Y shaped cut in my index hat was difficult to stitch. It's been about 6-7 months and I still have some nerve damage but most of the feeling has come back. I was playing lightly after about two-three months. Hopefully as more time passes it will become less numb in certain areas. I can still play so I'm thankful it wasn't any deeper. My wife does the hedge trimming now lol.

10. monty

monty Member

I could only bear to read the first sentence. Hope you get better soon bud.

11. Pongo

Pongo Member

wow, that’s terrifying. As far as bad-case scenarios, super glad it’s nothing permanent, and that you received such good care. Here’s to a fast and full recovery in 2020!

12. fitz

fitz Member

Good luck with your recovery. I had my left middle finger cut off almost down to the first joint below my fingernail. I thought it would never grow back but it did, fingernail and all. Although it isn't perfect, I can still play just fine & is not noticeable. With a four month prognosis you should be fine.

13. GenericUserName

GenericUserName Member

Sorry to hear bud. Sending good juju.

14. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Gold Supporting Member

I mangled my fretting hand pinky tip with a hand held electric powered plane, when I was in my late teens, trying to tailor a baseboard to a non level, undulating concrete slab. Stupid! I’d been dropped off, and wasn’t picked up for hours, pre cell phones. I lost some nail bed, and had two cuts bone deep. Somehow it healed up and became pain free, though it’s a bit numb. I was pretty lucky.

Hang in there, be positive and adaptable and you’ll get around it one way or another.

15. ruger9

ruger9 Member

I was there, just this year. Accident with an 18V circular saw. Middle finger tip, left hand. I was also wearing gloves, which was a catch-22: I believe the gloves are what caused the accident (catching the blade), but also what likely created enough resistance to stop the saw.

Lost 1/2 the nail, fractured the fingertip bone. Couldn't play for a couple weeks, but then started wearing one off these** to continue rehearsals... worked great. Now, 5 months down the road, everything is 90% normal again, altho I do still have a little nerve damage or something... slight "pin pricks" when a string gets right on the place where the blade cut (my cut was perpendicular: straight into the tip). But all-in-all, no complaints, will not affect my playing in the long run. I was very lucky!

[​IMG]

16. makeitstop

makeitstop Member

Oh, man, that sucks. I had my left index finger slammed into the tailgate of a pickup a couple of years ago and couldn't play for nearly 8 weeks. My wife says it's the most miserable I've been since we met.

Hoping you heal quickly. Stay positive, man. I know that sitting in a room full of guitars and not being able to play really did a number on my head.

17. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Ouch! Sorry to hear it--all the best in your healing.

18. Guitarheel62

Guitarheel62 Supporting Member

Praying that you heal quickly and completely.
    Thank you for posting to remind us how quickly this can happen.

19. Daren Anderson

Daren Anderson Member

I hope you heal quickly.

I badly injured my hand in a slip and fall. It was horrible for a few months. I was worried I might not be able to play again. It has been over a year and it about 90% better.

I need to be able to play guitar, not for livelihood, but for sanity and quality of life. I learned my lesson—don’t take your hands for granted.